RELEASED Sean Lee retiring

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Astounding but endearing re the adulation for a rarely healthy player who when playing, was middlpn talent.
We dream so small we are thankful for crumbs from marginal talent.
O, Sonora, thy horizons are lost in minutiae returns!

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Classy player, and we will be lucky if he comes to Coach for the Cowboys. Sounded by the press conference that the Jones wants him to, but he will take some time off with his family and hopefully come back coaching this year or next.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Yes. So smart he let RBs and receivers run wild around him. That is when he was not injured.
I believe the "coaching smarts" appendage was applied by coaches just passing through or love- struck fans who want to continue the love for him.
Just think, of all the LBs in Cowboys'past, he alone had "smarts."
When Lee was healthy in his prime, you don’t believe he was a productive LB?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's UFA.

I thought it was 50/50 on him playing another season. Our loss.

Retiring before the draft is a class move.

Always sad to see a player who was good/great for the team go. But I suspect Jerry might have had a sit down with Lee and told him he was likely to be cut, so "How do you want to leave the Cowboys? Be cut or retire? Your choice".

Guess we'll never know...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There's a lot of "he would be a great coach" and "hope the Cowboys hire him as a coach". I'd like that also.

But have we ever heard from the man himself that "Yeah I'd love to coach"? In his retirement press conference he said he'd "consider" it. Might decide not to as well.
And how many 49ers (if memory serves) fans were all excited to get the great linebacker Mike Singletary as coach? Most, again if memory serves.

But he flopped.

Great players and great coaches have different skill sets, just being a great player doesn't guarantee they'll be a great coach....

Valkyr

Reaction score
Link to his injury history.

Torn ACLs in both knees.

many hamstring injuries and concussions.

He gave up his body for the team.

I would retire on this bunch of ungrateful fans too.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sean-lee/3417
S1jQ.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think his retirement helps the team at all. We are already paper thin at LB and boast the worst starting LBs I've ever seen in Dallas.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't think his retirement helps the team at all. We are already paper thin at LB and boast the worst starting LBs I've ever seen in Dallas.

He only played in half of the games in the last 3 years, 9 games last year. 2020 Stats? 20 total tackles, 11 solo. He's 35 years old.

The production simply isn't there, and the odds of his missing games due to injury has always been high.

Now I agree his retirement isn't 100% beneficial to Dallas, but how hard is it to replace 20 tackles?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The word is out that Sean Lee is considering a LB coaching post with the Cowboys. He'd be an ideal addition to serve in that capacity.

It's been well documented that he's a tireless worker, especially in terms of being fully prepared for anything the opposition has to offer.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The word is out that Sean Lee is considering a LB coaching spot with the Cowboys. He'd be an ideal addition to serve in that capacity.

It's been well documented that he's a tireless worker, especially in terms of being fully prepared for anything the opposition has to offer.

Question is of course can he relay that to the players he'd be coaching? Lots of ex-NFL players tried to be coaches and didn't do well.

Not dissing the man, but nothing's a lock....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Question is of course can he relay that to the players he'd be coaching? Lots of ex-NFL players tried to be coaches and didn't do well.

Not dissing the man, but nothing's a lock....

Of course, that remains to be seen. What we do know is that he's very intelligent, he speaks well and is respected by his teammates.

By what he's known for, I think that translates well, in terms of his qualifications. What's missing, of course, is the actual experience
so necessary to proving successful. He has yet to decide but it seems likely he'd be afforded the opportunity, if he's willing to try.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He only played in half of the games in the last 3 years, 9 games last year. 2020 Stats? 20 total tackles, 11 solo. He's 35 years old.

The production simply isn't there, and the odds of his missing games due to injury has always been high.

Now I agree his retirement isn't 100% beneficial to Dallas, but how hard is it to replace 20 tackles?

Lee is more than the sum of his total tackles. His health has always been an issue and he has always found a way to contribute. He will be missed in the locker room, on the sideline, and on the field providing some depth.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In this paper thin LB core, there is literally nobody here to take his job. He was not cut. He retired.

Nobody?

Gifford, Kamara, Bernard and Neal. Possibly March. That's FIVE. Now are they up to even Lee's level? That is up to question. But please, there are replacements available.

Officially. But why he retired wasn't said - was it he had advice from his doctor to retire, Jerry told him he'd likely be cut, he lost the desire to play or was it like Frederick, if he can't play at a top level (for him anyway) anymore or didn't want to be a part time player?

Said already I respect the man and the player, but was time for him to go. Probably should have gone last year, it's not like the Cowboys couldn't find SOMEBODY to replace a guy who played in barely half the games.

This is the NFL, it's a business. And I imagine Lee fully understands that....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Officially. But why he retired wasn't said - was it he had advice from his doctor to retire, Jerry told him he'd likely be cut, he lost the desire to play or was it like Frederick, if he can't play at a top level (for him anyway) anymore or didn't want to be a part time player?

Said already I respect the man and the player, but was time for him to go. Probably should have gone last year, it's not like the Cowboys couldn't find SOMEBODY to replace a guy who played in barely half the games.

This is the NFL, it's a business. And I imagine Lee fully understands that....

He retired b/c he's 35 and can't stay healthy. Not many LBs play beyond age 35. But continue on with your conjecture.