Sean Payton > Bill Parcells

AtlCB

Reaction score
percyhoward;1315539 said:
Hypothetical II: If Haslett coached the 2006 Saints, and Payton coached the 2005 version, would the results have been any different?

Hypothetical III: If Payton was unable to get Brees and was stuck with Culpepper, Harrington, or Brooks, would the results have been any different.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
AtlCB;1315619 said:
Hypothetical III: If Payton was unable to get Brees and was stuck with Culpepper, Harrington, or Brooks, would the results have been any different.

or if the Texans weren't stupid and drafted Bush instead of Williams,,,,

ghst187

Reaction score
percyhoward;1314759 said:
Like gross overstatements much?

Offensively, you can count the number of Pro Bowls on the Cowboys' roster and the Saints' roster, then compare. You won't see anything approaching vast superiority. And that doesn't even account for Reggie Bush.

It's the coaching job of the Saint's defense that has been impressive.

Payton has not one, but really two defensive coordinators. Gary Gibbs, who was head coach at OU for six years, and "assistant head coach" Joe Vitt, who was interim HC of the Rams in 2005. Both have a ton of experience, both are defensive guys, and in fact both of them are former linebackers who became linebacker coaches. That's their area of expertise, so it should be no surprise that the they were able to get the best out of guys like Fujita and Shanle.

I agree if you're saying Parcells should be more willing to bring in a name assistant, but we're getting carried away with the Payton lovefest IMO.

You're right that the NO defense has been the most impressive part but I find it hard to believe I was overstating very much....maybe the roster thing but after that I think everything else is fact. Heck, Payton tried to take half of our roster with him and got several of our players...players who wouldn't have found much playing time under BP, and he put them in positions to have success. Sure, that was the D Coord's job but Payton gave them the freedom to do that. Would BP have given them that same freedom?
The most embarrassing thing I've ever seen is the lack of heart and seemingly unpreparedness with which we begin EVERY game. Maybe the O and D coordinators on our staff our responsible...but I KNOW that BP has his hands in everything, including the playcalling, for both AND he's the one that hired those guys. Heck, Gibbs used to be one our staff. So did Payton. Turns out they have found success when not under the thumb and control of BP. (it also turns out that another former BP asst has had MUCH more success without BP than he had with....Belichick) Turns out that their unbridled schemes and coaching really works. Or at least it is this year.
What's even more impressive is that Payton has done what he's done in his FIRST year in a franchise that has never had any real success...meanwhile, BP has had total control of this franchise for 3 years and gotten every player he every wanted and every coach he every wanted...yet we're still 0'fer in the playoffs...not to mention we got blatantly and thoroughly embarrassed by Payton's team at HOME in a pivotal game.
I think Bleu said it well in that were BP and Payton reversed (and perhaps their staffs), we'd probably still be playing and NO would be at home. I agree with all of his player comparisons too.
Now maybe Payton comes back down to earth next year and the year after...but frankly, if he wins a SB in his first year, which is looking pretty possible, who will care? One SB title with 3x 7-9 seasons would be a heck of lot better than a bunch of 9-7 or 10-6 seasons with no playoff wins.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
ghst187;1315638 said:
I think Bleu said it well in that were BP and Payton reversed (and perhaps their staffs), we'd probably still be playing and NO would be at home. I agree with all of his player comparisons too.

With regards to the reversal of coaches, I was wholeheartedly agreeing with step. Credit should be properly given where it is deserved. ;)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1315684 said:
With regards to the reversal of coaches, I was wholeheartedly agreeing with step. Credit should be properly given where it is deserved. ;)

Hey, Blue Star...if my wife ever brought home a carton of milk with that pic on it....?

It goes right to the TRASH where it belongs!

;)

ghst187

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1315684 said:

:D well whomever said was right as rain IMO! :D

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
5Stars;1315693 said:
Hey, Blue Star...if my wife ever brought home a carton of milk with that pic on it....?

It goes right to the TRASH where it belongs!

;)

:lmao:

I'm guessing we won't see PT on here as often as we were seeing him prior to the annual Philly choke job. :choke: Once he gets over his annual mourning ritual he'll be back. Until then he can stay on the milk carton.

step

Reaction score
ghst187;1315754 said:
Originally Posted by Bleu Star

:D well whomever said was right as rain IMO! :D
Hey, no problem, we all seem to be in agreement anyway. It's not that hard to see that BP has a real problem trusting rookies. The only guy worse in the NFL right now is Joe Gibbs, that guy has proven to be even worse than BP, which is shocking because when he retired I thought he'd be a great Cowboys coach is we could lure him out of retirement. Boy, was I wrong.

step

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1312878 said:
I thought the same thing, they got away with it but still.

He also benefited from Fatso punting with under two minutes to go.
Yeah, but the fake punt was pretty bold.