Sean Taylor Will Be prosecuted

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/06/17/z9b_nflru_0617.html

Police say Taylor will be prosecuted

By Carlos Frías

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 17, 2005

The Miami-Dade state attorney intends to prosecute Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor, who recently was charged with a felony of aggravated assault with a firearm, police said Thursday.

Taylor, a former University of Miami football player, turned himself in to Miami-Dade police June 4 after he was charged with attacking a man he said stole his all-terrain vehicle.

According to the police report, Taylor drove up to two men in his car, pointed a gun at them and demanded to know where his ATV was.

Taylor left, according to the report, but returned about 10 minutes later and jumped one of the men. One of Taylor's associates allegedly chased the other man with a baseball bat.

The state attorney's office told police it believes there is sufficient evidence to prosecute Taylor, Miami-Dade Detective Mary Walters said.

State attorney spokesman Ed Griffith said the office will not announce its plans until Taylor's arraignment June 24.

Police still are investigating Taylor's claim that shots were fired at his car in retaliation, Walters said.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that Taylor hired a new attorney, Edward Carhart, a Miami defense lawyer and former prosecutor, to defend him.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I hope he spend some time in jail .it will be a good wake up call for him

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Who cares about this. How are his contract talks going?

scottsp

Reaction score
Sad. But it irks me to no end that had it been a Cowboy who did something like this, we'd be hearing plenty about it from just about every media outlet in existence. Every hour on the hour.

Hell, it wouldn't have to be half this bad. So many transgressions this offseason and so little press in comparison. Not that I long for it, necessarily.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
He will plead to a lesser charge because the DA knows they will never get a conviction against him because who he is and where it happened at and out of 12 people how many people do you think would do the same thing Taylor did? I'd say atleast 50% of the men if they knew who did it would. Heck I don't blame him If I knew who stole my ATV's I'd go and jump them as well I don't think I'd take a gun but who can say for sure.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
He will plead to a lesser charge because the DA knows they will never get a conviction against him because who he is and where it happened at and out of 12 people how many people do you think would do the same thing Taylor did? I'd say atleast 50% of the men if they knew who did it would. Heck I don't blame him If I knew who stole my ATV's I'd go and jump them as well I don't think I'd take a gun but who can say for sure.
i don't view this as a "self-defense" situation. we're not talking about taylor's kidnapped family member. it's his ATV and after-the-fact. in his rush to emulate the plethora of chuck norris, stallone, bronson, et al movies - taylor overlooked one important fact. in real life, vigilante actions usually have very real consequences. at the very least it's pretty dopey behaviour for a man with family ties to law enforcement.

i'm in agreement with those who think he'll prolly "slide" on this one. if the only witnesses for prosecution are the two suspected by taylor of the alleged "ATV-napping" - the case is weakened. they would likely need at least one "disinterested party" who can testify taylor indeed brandished a firearm at the alleged car-thieves.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with Yeagermeister he won't spend any time in jail. He will plead down and just do some kind of community work. June 24 is his arraignment. I guess that will be the next update we get on this story. Maybe some smart hard nose DA will get his case and actually get some kind of conviction where he will have to sit for 90 days.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
kid is a headcase.....and really pushed me close to the edge of rooting for players, instead of just uni's.

But in a world where Jamal Lewis was convicted of being a coke dealer. they waited for him to finish the season before he served time.....and Ray Lewis at least helped a murderer get away from a crime scene....and he was Superbowl MVP. I agree he'll plead down.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
All Taylor has to do is show up for court in his pajama's, fake an illness that lands him in the emergency room and get Joe Gibss to vouch for what a kind, compassionate person he is, and he's off scott free. :laugh2:

I wish celebrities had to play by the same rules as everyone else. :bang2:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He'll get 2 games, a fine and probation.
But it wont be his last suspension or court appearance in all likelihood.

All that said, I have no problem with what he did here. I am actually quite liberal with regards to crime and he was apparently the victim of car theft.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I doubt he spends any time in jail either. Although there are some differences between Lewis & Lewis, and Taylor.

One, Lewis and Lewis are established stars in the NFL and Taylor isn't. Will that make any difference? I doubt it, but it is a difference.

Two, what Taylor did took place in Florida. Like I read somewhere, it might have been better for him to actually shoot someone in another state instead of pull a gun in Florida. Florida is very, very aggressive with it's gun laws and are basically fed up with violent crime. They've made the penalties quite stiff and mandatory at that.

Since he is going to be prosecuted, and the penalty is mandatory... there is a chance he goes to jail.

The DA's office is going to be like a hound on a scent. If they have witnesses that say they saw Taylor pull a gun on those guys, they very well might win the case.

Understand that the DA's office only plea bargains because their case isn't solid and they don't want to be left with nothing. Either that, or they're after bigger fish and want you to help them. I don't see them needing Taylor's help for anything here, like trying to bag a bigger drug dealer or something.

So, logically thinking, the only reason they would try to plea bargain with Taylor is if they think they can't get a conviction. We don't know what evidence they have against him. It could be air-tight. If they have strong evidence, they'll try for the whole truck-load against him.

The DA's office would love nothing better than convicting Taylor and sending a message. It would be like winning a Super Bowl for them. It isn't like the DA's office are football fans and want to let him off light because he's an NFL guy. If they have a solid case they'll push for the time, and they won't plea bargain. Why would they?

If they have witnesses saying they saw him pull a gun on other people, they're gonna go for it... they have absolutely no reason not to. And if someone saw Taylor drive up, stick a gun out the window and start yelling at the guy, what defense can Taylor have? He really, really loved his ATV?

There is a chance he sees mandatory jail time.

I still think he gets off, but it wouldn't surprise me that much to see him go to jail either.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I doubt he spends any time in jail either. Although there are some differences between Lewis & Lewis, and Taylor.

One, Lewis and Lewis are established stars in the NFL and Taylor isn't. Will that make any difference? I doubt it, but it is a difference.

Two, what Taylor did took place in Florida. Like I read somewhere, it might have been better for him to actually shoot someone in another state instead of pull a gun in Florida. Florida is very, very aggressive with it's gun laws and are basically fed up with violent crime. They've made the penalties quite stiff and mandatory at that.

Since he is going to be prosecuted, and the penalty is mandatory... there is a chance he goes to jail.

The DA's office is going to be like a hound on a scent. If they have witnesses that say they saw Taylor pull a gun on those guys, they very well might win the case.

Understand that the DA's office only plea bargains because their case isn't solid and they don't want to be left with nothing. Either that, or they're after bigger fish and want you to help them. I don't see them needing Taylor's help for anything here, like trying to bag a bigger drug dealer or something.

So, logically thinking, the only reason they would try to plea bargain with Taylor is if they think they can't get a conviction. We don't know what evidence they have against him. It could be air-tight. If they have strong evidence, they'll try for the whole truck-load against him.

The DA's office would love nothing better than convicting Taylor and sending a message. It would be like winning a Super Bowl for them. It isn't like the DA's office are football fans and want to let him off light because he's an NFL guy. If they have a solid case they'll push for the time, and they won't plea bargain. Why would they?

If they have witnesses saying they saw him pull a gun on other people, they're gonna go for it... they have absolutely no reason not to. And if someone saw Taylor drive up, stick a gun out the window and start yelling at the guy, what defense can Taylor have? He really, really loved his ATV?

There is a chance he sees mandatory jail time.

I still think he gets off, but it wouldn't surprise me that much to see him go to jail either.

in the begining on your post, you mention how Lewis and Lewis are stars...and that matters. But later on, you mention how much the DA's would love to nab a NFL player because it would be like their Superbowl. That's inconsistent.

Considering the conflicting stories between Taylor pulling a gun 1st, and Taylor actually being SHOT at 1st, without him firing back.

I agree that this spoiled, overpaid, 2nd year player will plea down to a lesser charge....or do something like Jamal Lewis where he'd serve time AFTER the season is over.

Something like that.

Kilyin

Reaction score
heh

gtast2od.jpg

jksmith269

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
i don't view this as a "self-defense" situation. we're not talking about taylor's kidnapped family member. it's his ATV and after-the-fact. in his rush to emulate the plethora of chuck norris, stallone, bronson, et al movies - taylor overlooked one important fact. in real life, vigilante actions usually have very real consequences. at the very least it's pretty dopey behaviour for a man with family ties to law enforcement.

i'm in agreement with those who think he'll prolly "slide" on this one. if the only witnesses for prosecution are the two suspected by taylor of the alleged "ATV-napping" - the case is weakened. they would likely need at least one "disinterested party" who can testify taylor indeed brandished a firearm at the alleged car-thieves.

So your saying if a couple guys down the block from you stole your atv's or something you wouldn't go looking for them. I'm not saying to shoot them or anything like that but I know I would go looking for my ATV's and if I found them and knew they were mine with out doubt I'd attempt to beat the crap out of the guys who took them I may get arrested but hey atleast I'd have gotten the chance to take my own revenge.

and I never said it was self defense heck Dewight Smith has pulled guns on people twice his last time he did it was in FL and skated both times.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
It looks like this is one where being a celeb is going to factor in the negative for Taylor.

These gun laws in Florida are relatively new and folks will be looking to see if they have any teeth in them. They'll be looking for signs of favoritism when both prosecution and punishment are meted out - and for Taylor there are two public opinons that could lead to him becoming an 'example': The "famous football players are above the law" complaint and the "his daddy's law enforcement connections will get him off" gripe.

Still better to be wealthy than poor in such a situation, but a wealthy nobody would probably make out "better".

Ashwynn

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
So your saying if a couple guys down the block from you stole your atv's or something you wouldn't go looking for them. I'm not saying to shoot them or anything like that but I know I would go looking for my ATV's and if I found them and knew they were mine with out doubt I'd attempt to beat the crap out of the guys who took them I may get arrested but hey atleast I'd have gotten the chance to take my own revenge.

and I never said it was self defense heck Dewight Smith has pulled guns on people twice his last time he did it was in FL and skated both times.

man, its attitudes like this that make the world a hell hole. No you dont go beat the crap out of pple, wether they stole your crap or not. If you know who has them you call the cops, drop a dime and get your crap back as THEY go to jail. Your an idiot.

Taylor deserves to go to jail and ro t there for all I care. Too bad this did not happen in Dallas, Could you imagine what Dallas County DA could do to a Commander.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
man, its attitudes like this that make the world a hell hole. No you dont go beat the crap out of pple, wether they stole your crap or not. If you know who has them you call the cops, drop a dime and get your crap back as THEY go to jail. Your an idiot.

Taylor deserves to go to jail and ro t there for all I care. Too bad this did not happen in Dallas, Could you imagine what Dallas County DA could do to a Commander.
You no jail now days is like a holiday inn cable A\C radios lay around reading. I remember when I was a kid if someone stole from you and you knew who it was you took it upon your self to fix it. and it seems to me crime was a lot lower back then. now everyone calls the police the guy\gal are prob career criminals and don't mind going back to jail. Now if jails were like they used to be maybe people would actually stop wanting to go back.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
You no jail now days is like a holiday inn cable A\C radios lay around reading. I remember when I was a kid if someone stole from you and you knew who it was you took it upon your self to fix it. and it seems to me crime was a lot lower back then. now everyone calls the police the guy\gal are prob career criminals and don't mind going back to jail. Now if jails were like they used to be maybe people would actually stop wanting to go back.

Either way, that does not make it right. I dont care if the Jail is better then my local country club, its a place I dont want to go, dont want my kid seeing me there and I would have a hard time bee-bopping around the local night life from there. Granted all your friends may be there, and rushing back once they get out, but trust me, jail is no picnic and not a place you want to spend the majority of your adult life.

There is nothing wrong with letting the police do there job. Suppose for a second that you were with Taylor that day. How you feeling now knowing you could go to jail for 3 years or more, knowing your buddy the football star is going to skate cause he has money to burn. You a millionaire? If not, I hope you enjoy spending 3 or more years in jail for your buddy. But you protected your street name and you can hang your head high as you enter the states house for bad boys, let me know how you feel after your first beat down or rape!

Anyone that considers jail a haven or vacation is an idiot. unless you commit a multi million dollar fraud, securities exchange violation or have 10 billion bucks, you are going to a slammer, Not a Martha Stewart country club. Those are for the good guys gone bad, not the bad boys.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Either way, that does not make it right. I dont care if the Jail is better then my local country club, its a place I dont want to go, dont want my kid seeing me there and I would have a hard time bee-bopping around the local night life from there. Granted all your friends may be there, and rushing back once they get out, but trust me, jail is no picnic and not a place you want to spend the majority of your adult life.

There is nothing wrong with letting the police do there job. Suppose for a second that you were with Taylor that day. How you feeling now knowing you could go to jail for 3 years or more, knowing your buddy the football star is going to skate cause he has money to burn. You a millionaire? If not, I hope you enjoy spending 3 or more years in jail for your buddy. But you protected your street name and you can hang your head high as you enter the states house for bad boys, let me know how you feel after your first beat down or rape!

Anyone that considers jail a haven or vacation is an idiot. unless you commit a multi million dollar fraud, securities exchange violation or have 10 billion bucks, you are going to a slammer, Not a Martha Stewart country club. Those are for the good guys gone bad, not the bad boys.

It doesn't matter how you feel about jail, it matters how the criminal feels. If its just a summer vacation for them whats to stop them from stealing from you again.
I lived in one of the worst parts of Dallas growing up and didnt even lock my car. I shot out of my bedroom window once at someone breaking into my car and never had an issue again. Crime is as much about the victim as it is the perpetrators. I doubt anyone else steals anything from Sean Taylor.

Police are doing a job and the normal patrolmen dont even work robbery cases, thats goes to detectives that work 9-5 M-F. Those ATV's woulda been long gone.

Ultimately the kind who would call the cops is the kind of guy who would be a victim in jail too. In fact get in jail then try to tell cops you were raped and see how far that goes. Ultimately you are responsible to man up urself.

Was this action stupid? Yes. Can I understand it? Yes. Is it the same as just arguing over some girl or because someone stepped on your Nikes? I dont think so. 14k worth of vehichle is enough for me to go ask for my stuff back and if I get crap over that to come back with a gun as Sean Taylor did. The more I read about the case the more I side with him. But I grew up in an area where stealing from someone was a sign of disrepecting them moreso than just taking their stuff.