Second biggest steal of the draft is Anthony Brown

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Thanks Trouty.
I hope so too.

Some thinks it was a waste to spend a 6th round on someone who is so raw.
I dont agree.
It got him in our team and we got to know him and sell him on going on the practice squad.
Note that Jerry is paying him $1 less than the minimum 53-squad salary to keep him in town.
Like I said, he is my 2017 pet cat.
Would not be surprised he could go on 53 squad this year.
At 280lbs and super athletic, he has got to be able to block better than Escobar.
Just needs some practice and technique.

Yeah, Waldo, that salary is kind of a telling sign on what the coaching/scouting minds see in the kid. What is he, 6'7''?

At 280, with that height and athleticism (there's no disputing his athleticism, he played basketball), I am stoked as all get out to see what the kid does next preseason, especially with Witt aging.

People will criticize the pick, but it's clear he's a work in progress and not meant to be evaluated this year. :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Little early on Brown. I will say he's developing nicely. He has the size we like in CB's, blazing speed, and the writeups on him in college was he was a very willing tackler. Great fit for a primarily zone team.

Mo's problem has always been injuries and lack of reps coming from below average intelligence. He's not a smart guy, he needed reps, and it finally looks like he's able to tackle someone without separating his shoulder.

If Mo keeps it up and Brown continues to play well, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Mo, Brown, and Scandrick as the starting 3 next year.

Gmoney, I know this may sound taboo, but I think Mo has been our most physical defender (relative to their position) this season.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yeah, Waldo, that salary is kind of a telling sign on what the coaching/scouting minds see in the kid. What is he, 6'7''?

At 280, with that height and athleticism (there's no disputing his athleticism, he played basketball), I am stoked as all get out to see what the kid does next preseason, especially with Witt aging.

People will criticize the pick, but it's clear he's a work in progress and not meant to be evaluated this year. :)

I think they say 6'8" in shoes.
He was a short power forward in college basketball and that is why he has not played football since 13 or so.

Seems like he has good hands.
The one handed catches were not contested in the video.
If he can catch, the video showed lots of tacklers bouncing off of him - pretty tough.

I have got to think his weight and athleticism would make him a decent blocking TE.
Not sure how long it takes to learn enough blocking technique since he outweighs average NFL TEs by 25lb.
With Witten's blocking skills eroding, his potential is intriguing.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Gmoney, I know this may sound taboo, but I think Mo has been our most physical defender (relative to their position) this season.

I'll never put anyone above Sean Lee but i can agree with that, comparatively.

He was targetted three times in SF, allowed 6 yards and got a pick. He's allowed less than 30 yards receiving in 3 games this year.

*If* he can stay healthy, having Scandrick/Mo and Jones as the centerpieces of the secondary for the next few years would be ideal. Work on getting more athletic in the middle of the field at SS and MLB (hopefully Frazier and Jaylon), and scorch earth for pass rushers. We have a ton of cap room for 2018 right now and it'll probably increase so Martin/Mo/Lawrence/Byron (depending on how well he does over the next 2 years and we still have the rookie 5th year option) is definitely possible.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Because he hasn't played to it? We let Bobby Carpenter go, or should we have kept him?

It's going to take a lot more then fans realize to sign Mo but thats just the market
Mo has gotten his physical problems in hand and is currently the best DB in the field
you dont let that walk.

Brown allows us to let Carr walk I would think

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'll never put anyone above Sean Lee but i can agree with that, comparatively.

He was targetted three times in SF, allowed 6 yards and got a pick. He's allowed less than 30 yards receiving in 3 games this year.

*If* he can stay healthy, having Scandrick/Mo and Jones as the centerpieces of the secondary for the next few years would be ideal. Work on getting more athletic in the middle of the field at SS and MLB (hopefully Frazier and Jaylon), and scorch earth for pass rushers. We have a ton of cap room for 2018 right now and it'll probably increase so Martin/Mo/Lawrence/Byron (depending on how well he does over the next 2 years and we still have the rookie 5th year option) is definitely possible.

G, where do you go for your stats?

Last edited:
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am really liking what I see from Anthony Brown so far. For a sixth round pick, he is playing like a vet. He could actually enable the Cowboys to let Claiborne walk next year if he continues to improve.

While I like the way Mo is playing, he is not the first player that has stepped up during his contract year. I just can't help thinking that once he gets paid, he will revert.

Brown seems to be giving some options.

Since this team is struggling to rebuild a defense, almost entirely via the draft, booting players that can actually play wouldn't be helpful, it would just create another hole to fill. Mo isn't going to command big bucks, it's not like he's setting the world on fire, and having 3 corners that can play plus a backup is a prerequisite these days.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Get paid and start having injuries again like it's something he's meaning to do ? Last year was a contract year too. People keep forgetting that.
One year deal though right? Just trying to keep us on the topic at hand. But you are right nonetheless.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Why would we spend a 1st round pick on a guy, develop him then just let him walk?

Claiborne remains a Cowboy..
Because he sucked 70% of the time......you cant pay a guy for performing 1year out of 5......glad to see him finally learn to play in the NFL....but to little to late.... Show some year to year consistency then possibly...but 1 good year in 5....to high of risk...but it does fit the Jones mantra.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because he sucked 70% of the time......you cant pay a guy for performing 1year out of 5......glad to see him finally learn to play in the NFL....but to little to late.... Show some year to year consistency then possibly...but 1 good year in 5....to high of risk...but it does fit the Jones mantra.

Mo's obstacles are well documented and his linear progression has been obvious,,, this doesn't look like a player suddenly deciding to put in some effort to get paid, this looks like a player finally finding his game.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Wut? He played well last year, too, brudda. This year he's been exceptional. Growing into every bit the first rounder he was advertised as.

Last edited:

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Why would we spend a 1st round pick on a guy, develop him then just let him walk?

Claiborne remains a Cowboy..
Overall body of work and injury history. We've paid players for one good year too often in the past, only for it to bite us somehow.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Overall body of work and injury history. We've paid players for one good year too often in the past, only for it to bite us somehow.

You are quite the contrarian, Miley. But your grammar is impeccable (no, I won't let that go :) )

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am really liking what I see from Anthony Brown so far. For a sixth round pick, he is playing like a vet. He could actually enable the Cowboys to let Claiborne walk next year if he continues to improve.

While I like the way Mo is playing, he is not the first player that has stepped up during his contract year. I just can't help thinking that once he gets paid, he will revert.

Brown seems to be giving some options.
How many times does it need to be repeated that last year was also a contract year for Mo. For cryin out loud, learn your team.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
You are quite the contrarian, Miley. But your grammar is impeccable (no, I won't let that go :) )
I just feel like MO will just get injured as soon as we pay him. I will have to admit that he has completely shocked me this season. It will definitely be a tough decision if he maintains this "swag" all season. Overall our defense has surprised me. Just adding 1 or 2 DL (and please oh Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster let Jaylon pan out), and out defense could turn around quicker than expected.

I am actually reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves - The no Nonsense Guide to Grammar at the moment. Haha.

*edit. Oh yeah, I forgot I almost corrected you. Lol

plasticman

Reaction score
I dont think Claiborne sucked, he just never got going, was constantly hurt or nicked up. Now that he is healthy I think we are seeing the real thing.

Carr was never worth the money but was okay. I would never resign him for big money, mid range, whatever that might mean these days.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I just feel like MO will just get injured as soon as we pay him. I will have to admit that he has completely shocked me this season. It will definitely be a tough decision if he maintains this "swag" all season. Overall our defense has surprised me. Just adding 1 or 2 DL (and please oh Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster let Jaylon pan out), and out defense could turn around quicker than expected.

I am actually reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves - The no Nonsense Guide to Grammar at the moment. Haha.

*edit. Oh yeah, I forgot I almost corrected you. Lol

That's nice, Miley, and completely understandable as it relates to Mo. It's nice to see folks coming around on the cat. Our failure on D will absolutely lie at the feet of the DL, and the sooner it's remedied, the quicker we grow!

I'm reading Infinite Jest (yes, I really am) and there's enough footnotes to fill an MLA :)