Second biggest steal of the draft is Anthony Brown

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
OP, I was with ya (kinda, Brown has flashed but has also been beaten) until you derided Mo. Our best DB this season.

Brown has flashed, so has Collins, but neither have proven themselves yet. Mo has been a certified stud this year (and very solid in his playing time last year). But this isn't a Mo thread, so I digress.

Very happy with the Brown pick, like yourself, Fort, but let's hold off on the anointing until more of the season has passed. Especially when we're replacing our good starters (Claiborne) with these dudes. Even Moore and Patmon flashed at times while they were on the roster.

I will say, Brown is especially important as a slot guy with OScan out. And he's done all right.

Keep it up, Brown, we need ye.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What has Anthony Brown done to earn praise? Get a pass deflection? He's also given up some big passes, specifically, a 15 yarder on a first down during a crucial point in the game.

Not understanding the praise. I'm not going to be overly critical, but this reminds me of Patmon all over again. Got a pick six against the Cards, and suddenly, we found our guy. Getting a little bit sick and tired of having these late round picks behind our starters rather than a veteran.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
With all these late round picks being good we should just trade down every year.

robbieruff

Reaction score
I am really liking what I see from Anthony Brown so far. For a sixth round pick, he is playing like a vet. He could actually enable the Cowboys to let Claiborne walk next year if he continues to improve.

While I like the way Mo is playing, he is not the first player that has stepped up during his contract year. I just can't help thinking that once he gets paid, he will revert.

Brown seems to be giving some options.
I too have been very impressed by Brown's play. He's scrappy and seems to always be in great position. Sort of reminds me of a pre-injury scandrick.

On the Mo front, I agree that that is a bit of a risk and that he might go all Ken Hamlin on us after signing a big deal. I think we might be able to do something with respect for the contract that protects us since, if I'm honest about it, much of his past struggles have been tied to injury. In his case, the injuries stealing his practice and training camp reps and having it show up in his play when he gets back on the field. I think we are finally seeing the version of Mo when he's had the benefit of the full offseason preparation. Conversely, for the past two seasons, we're also seeing the version of Dez without the full off-season prep (cut into by injury)....and dam does it show in his physical readiness or lack thereof.

I think there's a way to sign Mo long term while having some Sean Lee like clauses that help out with the cap hit.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Claiborne has never had a good year. Last year was the closest, however, he still missed 5 whole games and parts of 2 others while playing a bit above average.

In 2012, 2013, and 2014, he sucked.

What about 2015 and, especially, 2016, Perry?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yes, you do that. Dream.

I just hope the front office isn't doing the same.

On paper, it looks to be a successful draft. Nearly everyone made the team in some way, either on the active or practice squads.

Prescott is killing it. Steal.

How is Jaylon Smith anything?

Brown? Looking okay as a nickel CB fill in.

Jackson? Not being given much of a chance.

Gathers? C'mon.

Jaylon Smith - I give it a 50-50 that he comes back close to before.
If it happens, that is a steal even for a high 2nd.

Brown - possibly could be a starting slot CB - that would be a steal for a 6th

Jackson - good chance he gets a chance next year - if he is the backup in a year or 2, that is a steal for a 6th.

Gathers - 6th round lottery ticket - my pet cat for 2017.
6'8" 280lb extremely athletic project who runs a 4.75 with enormous hands.
If he cannot catch, a candidate for OT conversion if he bulks up 20-30lbs.
How much potential do the Cowboy see - they are paying him 449k to stay on the practice squad!
Take a look at this video showing diving 1-handed catches - how many WRs can do that?:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=15388302
Take a look at this unbelievable RAC:

perrykemp

Reaction score
What about 2015 and, especially, 2016, Perry?

He's been awesome so far this year. I love what I am seeing.

2015 I think he played a bit above average and trended upwards throughout the season as he gained confidence in his play and his health.

You'll get no argument that here in Year 5 of the Mo Claiborne era we are starting to get a glimpse of why they drafted him.

They key going forward is for him to stay healthy. You can't hand out a big contract to a CB who basically is able to play 9-10 full games (like last year).

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith - I give it a 50-50 that he comes back close to before.
If it happens, that is a steal even for a high 2nd.

Brown - possibly could be a starting slot CB - that would be a steal for a 6th

Jackson - good chance he gets a chance next year - if he is the backup in a year or 2, that is a steal for a 6th.

Gathers - 6th round lottery ticket - my pet cat for 2017.
6'8" 280lb extremely athletic project who runs a 4.75 with enormous hands.
If he cannot catch, a candidate for OT conversion if he bulks up 20-30lbs.
How much potential do the Cowboy see - they are paying him 449k to stay on the practice squad!
Take a look at this video showing diving 1-handed catches - how many WRs can do that?:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=15388302
Take a look at this unbelievable RAC:

That's awesome, Waldo... hopefully he becomes another Antonio Gates (goes without being said :) )

haleyrules

Reaction score
If Mo keeps working hard and stays healthy...he might by the end of his "career" be average.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
He's been awesome so far this year. I love what I am seeing.

2015 I think he played a bit above average and trended upwards throughout the season as he gained confidence in his play and his health.

You'll get no argument that here in Year 5 of the Mo Claiborne era we are starting to get a glimpse of why they drafted him.

They key going forward is for him to stay healthy. You can't hand out a big contract to a CB who basically is able to play 9-10 full games (like last year).

Fair enough, Perry, I completely understand some fans hesitation on handing him out a contract. For me, I'm jumping on it like he is a Norman reincarnate :) Even Riggins didn't peak until his later years (I know, I know, extreme example... but Mo has the pedigree). :)

waldoputty

Reaction score
That's awesome, Waldo... hopefully he becomes another Antonio Gates (goes without being said :) )

Thanks Trouty.
I hope so too.

Some thinks it was a waste to spend a 6th round on someone who is so raw.
I dont agree.
It got him in our team and we got to know him and sell him on going on the practice squad.
Note that Jerry is paying him $1 less than the minimum 53-squad salary to keep him in town.
Like I said, he is my 2017 pet cat.
Would not be surprised he could go on 53 squad this year.
At 280lbs and super athletic, he has got to be able to block better than Escobar.
Just needs some practice and technique.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Little early on Brown. I will say he's developing nicely. He has the size we like in CB's, blazing speed, and the writeups on him in college was he was a very willing tackler. Great fit for a primarily zone team.

Mo's problem has always been injuries and lack of reps coming from below average intelligence. He's not a smart guy, he needed reps, and it finally looks like he's able to tackle someone without separating his shoulder.

If Mo keeps it up and Brown continues to play well, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Mo, Brown, and Scandrick as the starting 3 next year.