Second biggest steal of the draft is Anthony Brown

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I am really liking what I see from Anthony Brown so far. For a sixth round pick, he is playing like a vet. He could actually enable the Cowboys to let Claiborne walk next year if he continues to improve.

While I like the way Mo is playing, he is not the first player that has stepped up during his contract year. I just can't help thinking that once he gets paid, he will revert.

Brown seems to be giving some options.

Mo has been injured since he's been in the league. It's not like he was simply dogging it.
Now that he's fully healthy, he's ballin. I don't think it has to do with money.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
That's nice, Miley, and completely understandable as it relates to Mo. It's nice to see folks coming around on the cat. Our failure on D will absolutely lie at the feet of the DL, and the sooner it's remedied, the quicker we grow!

I'm reading Infinite Jest (yes, I really am) and there's enough footnotes to fill an MLA :)
Oooh. I will have to look for that.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Franchise tag. Make him do it two years in a row before paying him.

The tag for CBs last year was 12.96 Million, Claiborne is probably worth half that. Jerry is good about keeping his own players (to a fault at times), if Claiborne continues to play well I'm sure he will be back on a contract that gives the team some protection of him regressing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think Maliek Collins will end up being the "steal" of this draft for Dallas.

If there is a legitimate discussion of who the steal of this draft is - between Prescott, Collins, Zeke, Jaylon Smith, Brown, whoever - its a massive win for this franchise. This draft will very likely be the best draft since 2005 and it has a shot at being one of the best ever.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think Brown is more of a replacement for Carr or even Scandrick than Claiborne. Claiborne has been our best DB the past two seasons and is starting to look like an elite corner. You need 3 starting CBs these days. 4 in case one of them goes down. We currently have 4 guys who are starting caliber and one who looks elite. I think we're in good shape at CB. The front 7 is worst in the league though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am really liking what I see from Anthony Brown so far. For a sixth round pick, he is playing like a vet. He could actually enable the Cowboys to let Claiborne walk next year if he continues to improve.
While Brown is playing well that won't have anything to do with Mo getting a long term extension. He definately isn't walking and also he was in a contract year last year BTW.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
From the custom 49ers game film I put up here on the site, here's the Anthony Brown plays from last Sunday:

2 passes defensed, 2 completions, 1 key blitz that led to a bad pass.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Mo has been injured since he's been in the league. It's not like he was simply dogging it.
Now that he's fully healthy, he's ballin. I don't think it has to do with money.
I agree he's been through more physical and mental valleys then anyone I can think of who did finally come out flashing.
I'm for him but he'll cost you now and more then 6 million per

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Why would we spend a 1st round pick on a guy, develop him then just let him walk?

Claiborne remains a Cowboy..

If we sign Claiborne to a big contract, anything more than 5 million a year, I would be furious.

He is still as soft as they come in this league. You also need to see how he responds after being beat-his confidence drops the moment someone makes a play against him.

Simply because he has gotten lucky a few times this year (the refs have missed at least 3 holding calls on him and we would not be having this conversation if Blaine Gabbert could hit a wide open WR running past him) and has played well against some average competition does not mean he should remain here.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Claibourne is good. Carpenter sucked.

Claiborne has been good for about 7 games in his career.

Bobby carpenter played great in a playoff game.

I would absolutely not sign Morris Claiborne. If we could get a 4th round comp pick for the guy, and not sign him to a contract he would inevitably not live up to, I would be ecstatic.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Brown is always in excellent position. Sheppard made a tough TD catch on him and Kerley as well made a few tough contested catches on him. Let's not act like Scandrick was a lock-down slot CB and never gave up catches. It happens.

Barring a complete collapse from Mo, they will re-sign him. Brown appears(for now) to be at least a top 3 CB. You go with Mo, Scandrick and Brown in '17.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Claiborne is good the past four weeks. He kinda sucked before that.

He had 1 bad stretch of games for us really.

IMO, he has always been average to slightly below average. Not a complete horrible player.

I think most of us though got on him because he wasn't playing up to his draft position.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
What has Anthony Brown done to earn praise? Get a pass deflection? He's also given up some big passes, specifically, a 15 yarder on a first down during a crucial point in the game.

Not understanding the praise. I'm not going to be overly critical, but this reminds me of Patmon all over again. Got a pick six against the Cards, and suddenly, we found our guy. Getting a little bit sick and tired of having these late round picks behind our starters rather than a veteran.

I appreciate the fact he always seems to be in tight coverage personally and he gets his head around when the ball is up in the air. He has potential

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Hopefully we have the following steals:
1. Dak - franchise QB in 4th
2. Jaylon - gamechanging MLB in 2nd
3. Brown - starting CB in 6th
4. Jackson - backup RB with ability to start in 6th
5. Gathers - starting TE who can catch and block in 6th

We can dream :thumbup:
I'll add Zeke who will likely be better than two of those drafted ahead of him.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

While I like the way Mo is playing, he is not the first player that has stepped up during his contract year. I just can't help thinking that once he gets paid, he will revert.

Brown seems to be giving some options.

If everyone could stop acting like last year wasn't s contract year for Mo too..that'd be greeeeeeeaaat. Hes playing well because he's healthy finally.

I would much rather keep Mo than Carr.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
How many times does it need to be repeated that last year was also a contract year for Mo. For cryin out loud, learn your team.

I for one do not agree /and hate the he only preformed because it was a contract year ! It really makes no sense when you think about it. If a player really plays well for his rookie contract then he normally gets the large / long contract he looks for. SECURITY

So let me see if I get this straight ! Mo decided rationally to get hurt, not play up to his potential, take tons of crap from the fans ,I am sure staff in the meetings, and to not live up to his hype of a first round pick. Then when the contract year came up he played well until he got hurt, but that earned him the wonderful security of a 1 year deal with minimal money. Now he has to do it again and he is !

Why can't we just give the man a break it took a little time for him to develop he is staying healthy and now looking like what we thought we drafted. Think of hit as a long time investment and NOW people want to sell the stock when it is starting to turn around. His stock is rising so you buy more while it's low And you hold it for a few more years.

This is why I hate the contract year crap

I didn't even mention - the draft ramifications if we let mo go we are already probably letting Carr walk so we are basically forced to go DB first round it is just overall a bonehead move to let MO go at this point IMO

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All, and I mean ALL CBs are going to get beat. It's the nature of the position. Right now Brown is looking very promising.