Secondary Options (?) PART 1 OF 5

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's amazing to me how much credit Coleman is getting. Talk about living off your reputation and having ties to BP. His play has slipped fellas. To the point I think it is 50/50 at best he makes the final 53.

NorTex

Reaction score
I don't expect much from Coleman or Watkins...hopefully Watkins isn't the next Tony Dixon.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
9 DBs? seems about right, but I think they keep Lenny Williams instead of Coleman

Lenny Williams might just see another year on the practice squad.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
We brought back that kid who was a good kick returner twice- woody dantlzler- but the second time he couldn't stick.

Woody's problem was that returning kicks was the only thing he could do, he didn't have a position, Parcells brings back people he wants to get looks at, cuz he wants to fit them on his team, so if Lenny shows something this time around, which I think he will, I think he sticks, just my gut feeling though

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ATurkishSeaOtter said:
Lenny Williams better be able to play both CB and saftey if hes going to take colemans spot.

we already have a corner capable of doing that, Jacque Reeves

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
just call it a gut feeling, this is the 2nd time the Cowboys are bringing him back, if he shows something, which I think he will, he stays, and they decide to let Coleman go, Jacque will be the 4th CB/nickel S, and Watkins or Davis will be the backup FS, my money is on Davis winning the starting job in TC, so I don't see any real purpose for keeping Coleman around, insurance? ok, but Parcells likes to go w/ younger guys to fill those roles

Williams is a pet. Just like Dantzler was. Just like Keylon Kincaide. And countless others.

Unless injuries strike, Lenny Williams will be a trivia answer in a year.

Every team has those players that aren't terrible, but for some reason can never break in.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Williams is a pet. Just like Dantzler was. Just like Keylon Kincaide. And countless others.

Unless injuries strike, Lenny Williams will be a trivia answer in a year.

Every team has those players that aren't terrible, but for some reason can never break in.

but Dantzler sucked at transitioning to the positions (WR, S) Dallas asked him to learn, and Keylon came into a position with 2 or 3 runners ahead of him each year, I don't think it's going to be difficult to earn the 5th CB spot, again, just a gut feeling on my part

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
but Dantzler sucked at transitioning to the positions (WR, S) Dallas asked him to learn, and Keylon came into a position with 2 or 3 runners ahead of him each year, I don't think it's going to be difficult to earn the 5th CB spot, again, just a gut feeling on my part

Quit trying to be special, summer.

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I'm already special, I've been on more ignore lists than anybody on here :p:

I knew you were "special".

I guess my definition is different.:cool:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I seriously doubt you are on more ignore lists then some I could think of.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Do yall mean "Special" in little, short, yellow school bus?

or

Do yall mean "Special" in needs to get attention?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
sago1 said:
I think the FS situation probable turns out like you've posted--at least for this year--but Davis better have improved his coverage abilities not just beat out the competition cause we've got nothing better behind him. However, I'm hoping Watkins provides some real competition & develops this year so that next year, with addition of offseason weight conditioning program, he beats out all competition to start at FS.

Our starting CBs are set and a good tandem but disagree with Reeves as our #5 CB. He was really coming on in 2nd half of season after Henry's injury essentially sidelined him for end of season. A.Glenn played well for us last year but he turns 34 on 7/16/06 (last year of 2 yr deal) & Marco Coleman
(32) signed an inexpensive 1 year deal. Realize both are seasoned pros and (at least Glenn was a pro bowler at one time?) but I don't want Reeves development stunted by dropping him to #5 which essentially means he only gets ST play. I'll wait to see what kind of contribution Coleman can make (at both FS & CB) before giving him a roster spot.

BTW: I see Williams and Parker going to the PS. Also you didn't list Pile & UDFA CB Brooks. Well be interesting to see what Brooks has; he might also be a candidate for the PS but doubt Pile can stick unless he really progressed in offseason.

I think Darnell Brooks goes to the practice squad and Willie Pile gets cut.

Angus

Reaction score
I suspect Justin Beriault will be the starting free safety this year, and Coleman will be gone. Reeves will be trained to do everything Coleman could do, and do it better. Watkins is probably a year and an off season program away, except for special teams and other incidentals. Davis will back up Williams, I think, and Coleman will be cut before the first regular season game to avoid guaranteeing his salary. Parcells will keep his listed name handy, though. Of course, all this depends on the injury situation developing in training camp.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Angus said:
I suspect Justin Beriault will be the starting free safety this year, and Coleman will be gone. Reeves will be trained to do everything Coleman could do, and do it better. Watkins is probably a year and an off season program away, except for special teams and other incidentals. Davis will back up Williams, I think, and Coleman will be cut before the first regular season game to avoid guaranteeing his salary. Parcells will keep his listed name handy, though. Of course, all this depends on the injury situation developing in training camp.

What makes you think Beriault is a better fit at FS than Keith Davis?

fortdick

Reaction score
Angus said:
I suspect Justin Beriault will be the starting free safety this year,

I like the kid and hope you are right, but I just don't see it. He will be the next Billy Bates. Nickel and dime situations, special teams, and backup. He is too talented to cut, and not talented enough to start at FS. He will be there is Roy gets hurt.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The way I see it, there are only a handful of guarantees...

Newman, Henry, Williams, Davis, Glenn, and Reeves are all locks.

Everyone else is competing.