CFZ Seems like a great year to be “all in”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the retirement (at least as of this moment) of Tom Brady and the move of Aaron Rodgers to the jets, going into 2023 the NFC is more wide open than any season in recent memory. In my opinion, however anyone ranks the remaining QBs in the NFC, it’s fairly clear that the Cowboys have a wider lane to at least go further than they’ve gone in the last 27 seasons. This team is closer to competing for a championship than in recent years.

Seems like a great year to go “all in”, right?

So far this off-season, the Cowboys FO has done a much better job of being active. The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO. It’s been good to see some of these moves happen this off-season.

Now in the rest of the off-season, we have the opportunity to see what “going for it“ can really mean. We still need major upgrades to interior DL, probably another LB, a WR, drafted RBs, and some additional help in the OL.

This off-season is off to a better start than any in recent years. But much work remains. Time to GO FOR IT! Time to make even more bold moves to get better!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Lots of talk about adding a WR, and I get it, but I'm not thrilled about the OL depth at all. We're going to need it, because we always do.

Sounds easy to put Tyron back at LT and slide Tyler inside, but do we really want to count on Tyron being healthy? I want a starting guard and leave Tyler at LT. Tyron may have to begin the year at RT with Steele coming off an ACL, and I'd prefer Tyron to be the swing guy at this point in his career. I don't want to hear about 41 year old Peters coming off a hip injury. Dude was great. Now he's old. Move on.

khiladi

Reaction score
The NFC was wide open this year…. TB was a joke. SF was led by a rookie QB who just started about 6 games ago. Philly got gifted plant of calls against that SF team down to a 12th string QB. Our QB play is what stopped us and constantly stops us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
With the retirement (at least as of this moment) of Tom Brady and the move of Aaron Rodgers to the jets, going into 2023 the NFC is more wide open than any season in recent memory. In my opinion, however anyone ranks the remaining QBs in the NFC, it’s fairly clear that the Cowboys have a wider lane to at least go further than they’ve gone in the last 27 seasons. This team is closer to competing for a championship than in recent years.

So far this off-season, the Cowboys FO has done a much better job of being active. The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO. It’s been good to see some of these moves happen this off-season.

Now in the rest of the off-season, we have the opportunity to see what “going for it“ can really mean. We still need major upgrades to interior DL, probably another LB, a WR, drafted RBs, and some additional help in the OL.

This off-season is off to a better start than any in recent years. But much work remains. Time to GO FOR IT! Time to make even more bold moves to get better!
Here’s the problem….Jerry’s idea of “all in” is signing a gimpy has been diva WR.

I’d throw some money at DT, but other than that I’d actually wish they would follow their typical plan and retool the offense in the draft.

It can be done. Mid round guys that are missing prototypical size but make plays are what they should load up on.

There’s a middle ground here that gives them a real shot to compete for the next several years and also not have to start cutting key players as soon as next season.

Man, if one SF DB can catch the easiest INT he will ever see, this Rams “all in” narrative is very, very different.

blueblood70

Reaction score

the term all in might be bit of an exaggeration a 12win team with little holes simply needs to make 1-2 more moves take little more risk then they intended and go for it. but not what the rams did, umm now that looks to be 3 years or more year of bad football to recover.. just make move or 2 that maybe you've been unwilling to do on 1 player or 2 ..

Id say 2 moves 1 needed for sure could bolster our season ie a Vet WR and even something unexpected like even though we signed LVE we still bring in Wagner..then use the draft for a frontline LG, add solid rb in round 2 or 3 then go true BPA the rest of the draft with no holes to truly fill as need. all BPA future players to take over for the 1year rentals like Gilmore etc

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of talk about adding a WR, and I get it, but I'm not thrilled about the OL depth at all. We're going to need it, because we always do.

Sounds easy to put Tyron back at LT and slide Tyler inside, but do we really want to count on Tyron being healthy? I want a starting guard and leave Tyler at LT. Tyron may have to begin the year at RT with Steele coming off an ACL, and I'd prefer Tyron to be the swing guy at this point in his career. I don't want to hear about 41 year old Peters coming off a hip injury. Dude was great. Now he's old. Move on.
Sadly Tyron Smith has lost the second most important ability for a football player- availability. He’s missed over 40 games the last 3 seasons. He was once the best player we had. Now he’s an occasional part timer.

So like you, I’m not a big fan of putting Tyron at LT. At this point I see him as an expensive swing T.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sadly Tyron Smith has lost the second most important ability for a football player- availability. He’s missed over 40 games the last 3 seasons. He was once the best player we had. Now he’s an occasional part timer.

So like you, I’m not a big fan of putting Tyron at LT. At this point I see him as an expensive swing T.
swing, yes but depth as long reliever is very important. agree, so go get the best run blocking LG in the draft keep Tyler at LT and with steel back and 77 being our insurance we should be good.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO.
They didn't clear all this space and restructure those contracts for nothing. I am expecting at least a big signing or two before this is all said and done.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here’s the problem….Jerry’s idea of “all in” is signing a gimpy has been diva WR.

I’d throw some money at DT, but other than that I’d actually wish they would follow their typical plan and retool the offense in the draft.

It can be done. Mid round guys that are missing prototypical size but make plays are what they should load up on.

There’s a middle ground here that gives them a real shot to compete for the next several years and also not have to start cutting key players as soon as next season.

Man, if one SF DB can catch the easiest INT he will ever see, this Rams “all in” narrative is very, very different.
Rams had a cinderella season.

I also contend that if they have to play KC, they get blown out of the water. Everything went just right for them that season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's still PHL and SF in the way and they see the same opportunity as the Cowboys do and SF has already made a move on the DL. Make their strength stronger. And I wouldn't discount DET.

This season will come down to what it always seems to, the number of starters and games they miss. Quality depth is the toughest challenge all of these GM's face.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

The moves so far give me hope, but I have a lot of disappointment from past clunker off seasons so I am still watching to see what they do.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Rams had a cinderella season.

I also contend that if they have to play KC, they get blown out of the water. Everything went just right for them that season.
Right…which is why I don’t clamor for Jerry to start trading every draft pick and start signing everyone.

Although signing a top FA every dozen years or so doesn’t seem like much to ask.

In theory, their overall strategy is solid. The problem is they cannot afford to bust picks, and they do.

If guys like Hill, Gallimore, Joseph, Wright and Tolbert played in line with their draft status….this team would be absolutely SET right now.

Problem is they don’t seem to want to realize that picks don’t anyways pan out.