Sell me on Guyton

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If this is the pick I’d like to have an open mind but having a hard time being okay with this one. 13 starts in 4 years? So for three years he couldn’t beat out two different tackles on his college team but he is supposed be a good pro? Oh, and he has no experience at LT so we have to move him as well? I just don’t get it. If drafted I see a year of Edoga at LT while this guy redshirts. Just seems like a wasted pick to me.

cnuball21

Reaction score
- Top 20 OT traits with his plus athleticism and length
- Gave up zero sacks last year
- + Grades in advanced pass pro metrics (see below)
- Solid Sr Bow performance
- Good tape against Jared Verse

As long as he’s clean off the field I’ll get on board. He’s not my favorite option as I think a higher graded player will be available but he’s a unanimous top 30ish talent in the class.

Total Pressures Allowed
Joe Alt (12 games) - 5
Patrick Paul (12 games) - 9
Olu Fashanu (12 games) - 10
Christian Jones (13 games) - 11
Tyler Guyton (10 games) - 12
Taliese Fuaga (12 games) - 12
Kingsley Suamataia (11 games) - 13
Javon Foster (13 games) - 13
Jordan Morgan (12 games) - 14
JC Latham (14 games) - 14
Roger Rosengarten (15 games) - 15
Blake Fisher (12 games) - 15
Troy Fautanu (15 games) - 23

Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating
Joe Alt - 99.1
Patrick Paul - 98.9
Christian Jones - 98.8
Roger Rosengarten - 98.7
Olu Fashanu - 98.6
Javon Foster - 98.3
Jordan Morgan - 98.3
Taliese Fuaga - 98.2
Tyler Guyton - 98.2
JC Latham - 98.1
Troy Fautanu - 97.9
Kingsley Suamataia - 97.9
Blake Fisher - 97.4

Carson

Reaction score
- Top 20 OT traits with his plus athleticism and length
- Gave up zero sacks last year
- + Grades in advanced pass pro metrics (see below)
- Solid Sr Bow performance
- Good tape against Jared Verse

As long as he’s clean off the field I’ll get on board. He’s not my favorite option as I think a higher graded player will be available but he’s a unanimous top 30ish talent in the class.

Total Pressures Allowed
Joe Alt (12 games) - 5
Patrick Paul (12 games) - 9
Olu Fashanu (12 games) - 10
Christian Jones (13 games) - 11
Tyler Guyton (10 games) - 12
Taliese Fuaga (12 games) - 12
Kingsley Suamataia (11 games) - 13
Javon Foster (13 games) - 13
Jordan Morgan (12 games) - 14
JC Latham (14 games) - 14
Roger Rosengarten (15 games) - 15
Blake Fisher (12 games) - 15
Troy Fautanu (15 games) - 23

Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating
Joe Alt - 99.1
Patrick Paul - 98.9
Christian Jones - 98.8
Roger Rosengarten - 98.7
Olu Fashanu - 98.6
Javon Foster - 98.3
Jordan Morgan - 98.3
Taliese Fuaga - 98.2
Tyler Guyton - 98.2
JC Latham - 98.1
Troy Fautanu - 97.9
Kingsley Suamataia - 97.9
Blake Fisher - 97.4
But this grading is him as a RT. He will have to switch everything to play a position he’s never played.

Carson

Reaction score
Sure…and plenty of OT prospects have switched sides and had great success.
I can only think of Tyron who played LT and RT ant USC, Orlando Brown played LT at Oklahoma, Tristan Wirfs played LT and RT at Iowa, Jonah Williams played LT and RT at Alabama.

Most of these guys were polished players with tons of experience.

Guyton is raw, needs a ton of work etc.

I don’t hate the player and he can be something in the future. But no way in hell does he come in and lock down the LT position without a ton of growing pains.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
But this grading is him as a RT. He will have to switch everything to play a position he’s never played.
See also Tyron Smith. 22 starts at USC at Right Tackle. First 16 NFL starts at Right Tackle.

Guyton will be fine. He's a jerk. He has some nastiness to him, similar to a Tyler Smith or even Erik Williams. He has some technical improvements to make and unfortunately we have a Walmart door greeter for an offensive line coach.

Carson

Reaction score
See also Tyron Smith. 22 starts at USC at Right Tackle. First 16 NFL starts at Right Tackle.

Guyton will be fine. He's a jerk. He has some nastiness to him, similar to a Tyler Smith or even Erik Williams. He has some technical improvements to make and unfortunately we have a Walmart door greeter for an offensive line coach.
Smith also played LT at USC. So it wasn’t completely new to him

That is why I am afraid of the pick. If we had somebody like Callahan he would do amazing with him

cnuball21

Reaction score
I can only think of Tyron who played LT and RT ant USC, Orlando Brown played LT at Oklahoma, Tristan Wirfs played LT and RT at Iowa, Jonah Williams played LT and RT at Alabama.

Most of these guys were polished players with tons of experience.

Guyton is raw, needs a ton of work etc.

I don’t hate the player and he can be something in the future. But no way in hell does he come in and lock down the LT position without a ton of growing pains.
Tyron was obviously a top 10 pick but his scouting report was fairly similar. Elite athletic traits but lacked polish, football IQ and needed to add size.

I understand Guyton needs technique improvement but you don't give up zero sacks and almost single digit pressures at OK "needing a ton of work." He's a cleaner prospect than Tyler was, and consistently rated about 10 slots higher, and Tyler turned out ok.

And I think your expectations might need some seasoning. I don't think there is a realistic LT in this class that comes in at 24 and immediately locks down LT without growing pains...that isn't happening.

Guyton is nowhere near the top of my list at 24...but he's a consensus top 30 rated player at a position of need so I"d understand it and hope our coaches continue to do well with OL players.

Aven8

Reaction score
I can’t sell you on a RT replacing a HOF LT.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Can't sell you on taking Guyton. He needs at least a year to learn. If Tyron Smith was here one more year, I guess he would be an ok pick, not great. At least, he could of learned from Tyron for a bit before being thrown into the fire.
I would accept the pick of Guyton this year with what we know now. I wouldn't like it at all. He could turn into a good player down the road a bit.

Carson

Reaction score
Tyron was obviously a top 10 pick but his scouting report was fairly similar. Elite athletic traits but lacked polish, football IQ and needed to add size.

I understand Guyton needs technique improvement but you don't give up zero sacks and almost single digit pressures at OK "needing a ton of work." He's a cleaner prospect than Tyler was, and consistently rated about 10 slots higher, and Tyler turned out ok.

And I think your expectations might need some seasoning. I don't think there is a realistic LT in this class that comes in at 24 and immediately locks down LT without growing pains...that isn't happening.

Guyton is nowhere near the top of my list at 24...but he's a consensus top 30 rated player at a position of need so I"d understand it and hope our coaches continue to do well with OL players.
Appreciate the friendly discussion! We do not get much on that on here anymore lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's not hard to be kind!

Part of the reason I stay on the Draft forums and don't venture to the main forums anymore...it's like the wild wild west over there with a new thread on Dak / Lamb / Parsons every day. Pass for me!
Yeah, I rarely see you on the fan zone throughout the year. I do hope you at least get to read some of my posts over there, they are well thought out to drive real Cowboy discussion, not those Dak Hater threads we see multiple times a day.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, I rarely see you on the fan zone throughout the year. I do hope you at least get to read some of my posts over there, they are well thought out to drive real Cowboy discussion, not those Dak Hater threads we see multiple times a day.
If the rest of the posters were like you I’d spend a lot of time over there during the year…I just can’t do it.

Dak sucks, Lamb isn’t a #1, Parsons is overrated, Rush should start…it’s exhausting man just can’t do it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We draw our own opinions based on what we have seen and heard. Guyton to me is more of a developmental prospect at the position. These players tend to take time and must have the strong work habits to reach their potential. I'm not sure Guyton has that in him, he shows up when he wants to, plays well against top competition, but struggles against weaker opponents. He should be a dominate run blocker, but he isn't.

Much rather take a high floor prospect this year, especially when we got virtually nothing out of our 1st rd pick last season. If JPJ is off their board, fine, but try to trade back to draft Zach Frazier. He doesn't have that great upside potential, but many feel he will help a team out day 1.

Final word, with all the talk about teams trading up for all the Tackles, then the likes of Guyton/Mims will be long gone. Just don't not take a 1st rd running back and injured one to boot.

Carson

Reaction score
If the rest of the posters were like you I’d spend a lot of time over there during the year…I just can’t do it.

Dak sucks, Lamb isn’t a #1, Parsons is overrated, Rush should start…it’s exhausting man just can’t do it.
There is some good people who stay over here. TimB is another good dude

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
I have no expertise with College Talent Evaluation, so take this with a giant grain of salt. I rely on the evaluations of others.

Your request was to sell you on Guyton.

Dane Brugler has the OTs ranked as follows - he's bunched up with a lot of other good OTs:

Dane Brugler Top 100

Alt (6)
Fashanu (9)
Latham (13)
Fuaga (16)
Mims (17)
Guyton (18)
Fautanu (19)
Morgan (32)
Suamataia (38)
Paul (55)
Amegadjie (58)
Fisher (63)

Cowboyny

Reaction score

There are a few good posters, but you are right the majority use this platform more like a social media site.