Sell me on Guyton

Mikexike

Reaction score
If this is the pick I’d like to have an open mind but having a hard time being okay with this one. 13 starts in 4 years? So for three years he couldn’t beat out two different tackles on his college team but he is supposed be a good pro? Oh, and he has no experience at LT so we have to move him as well? I just don’t get it. If drafted I see a year of Edoga at LT while this guy redshirts. Just seems like a wasted pick to me.
wasted pick, you can find him at walmart across from AT&T stadium.

Chasing6

Reaction score
- Top 20 OT traits with his plus athleticism and length
- Gave up zero sacks last year
- + Grades in advanced pass pro metrics (see below)
- Solid Sr Bow performance
- Good tape against Jared Verse

As long as he’s clean off the field I’ll get on board. He’s not my favorite option as I think a higher graded player will be available but he’s a unanimous top 30ish talent in the class.

Total Pressures Allowed
Joe Alt (12 games) - 5
Patrick Paul (12 games) - 9
Olu Fashanu (12 games) - 10
Christian Jones (13 games) - 11
Tyler Guyton (10 games) - 12
Taliese Fuaga (12 games) - 12
Kingsley Suamataia (11 games) - 13
Javon Foster (13 games) - 13
Jordan Morgan (12 games) - 14
JC Latham (14 games) - 14
Roger Rosengarten (15 games) - 15
Blake Fisher (12 games) - 15
Troy Fautanu (15 games) - 23

Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating
Joe Alt - 99.1
Patrick Paul - 98.9
Christian Jones - 98.8
Roger Rosengarten - 98.7
Olu Fashanu - 98.6
Javon Foster - 98.3
Jordan Morgan - 98.3
Taliese Fuaga - 98.2
Tyler Guyton - 98.2
JC Latham - 98.1
Troy Fautanu - 97.9
Kingsley Suamataia - 97.9
Blake Fisher - 97.4
Potential means nothing to me in the first round.

If that athletic measureable potential did not show up in college, why would it show up at the next level?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If this is the pick I’d like to have an open mind but having a hard time being okay with this one. 13 starts in 4 years? So for three years he couldn’t beat out two different tackles on his college team but he is supposed be a good pro? Oh, and he has no experience at LT so we have to move him as well? I just don’t get it. If drafted I see a year of Edoga at LT while this guy redshirts. Just seems like a wasted pick to me.
Top 10 talent. LT traits galore. Excellent in pass pro. If he played like half a season at LT he'd go top 15

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And it was for a left handed QB, so it was his blind side. Maybe.
Very good point.

All in all. There are trait and tape that are good. But there is still work. Needs to be better in the run, and still stays too tall. Guyton is still a projection of what he could be. Even in a strong class, an LT prospect at #24 is going to have warts

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
wasted pick, you can find him at walmart across from AT&T stadium.
The Walmarts in Texas must be different than the ones here. I've never seen a 6-8, 322-pound man in any of the Walmarts here. Now, I've seen some 322-pounders, but they are usually about 5-8 and there's not much muscle involved.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Walmarts in Texas must be different than the ones here. I've never seen a 6-8, 322-pound man in any of the Walmarts here. Now, I've seen some 322-pounders, but they are usually about 5-8 and there's not much muscle involved.
Are they 5'8 or do they just look it in the mobility scooter

Chasing6

Reaction score
6'8 makes me nervous.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Personally I'd be disappointed with Guyton at 24, so I can't sell you on him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
6'8 makes me nervous.
In a dark alley, I agree. In the NFL, I don't think it's as much of a concern as it used to be. Several of the first-round tackles are listed around that height ... Alt 6-9, Mims 6-8, Guyton 6-8, Paul 6-8. Several more are 6-6.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In a dark alley, I agree. In the NFL, I don't think it's as much of a concern as it used to be. Several of the first-round tackles are listed around that height ... Alt 6-9, Mims 6-8, Guyton 6-8, Paul 6-8. Several more are 6-6.
6'6 seems good. Just seems like knee bend gets more and more difficult as you get taller.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Potential means nothing to me in the first round.

If that athletic measureable potential did not show up in college, why would it show up at the next level?
If we were in the top 15 picks, I'd agree. But at 24, potential is absolutely part of the decision-making process. You have to swing a little the longer the draft goes on. And sometimes, there are legit reasons why the 'potential' didn't display in college--scheme, coaching, etc. Not every situation is exactly the same.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If we were in the top 15 picks, I'd agree. But at 24, potential is absolutely part of the decision-making process. You have to swing a little the longer the draft goes on. And sometimes, there are legit reasons why the 'potential' didn't display in college--scheme, coaching, etc. Not every situation is exactly the same.
Not all, I would pick an OC with little to no risk.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just two names to remember.

Tyler Smith
Travis Frederick.

I say those two names because the majority of cowboys fans did not like the picks at the time.

Now there are other players I would prefer as well. But when you are picking in the bottom half of the rounds in the draft you can't always get the best players you might want to get.

You will not get the top rated OT.
You will not get the top rated OC/OG.
You will not get the top rated DB
You will not get the top rated WR
They will not draft a QB in the first
You will not get the top rated DE
You will not get the top rated DL

So unless Dallas takes a LB or RB...chances are pretty darn good you will not get the top rated
position player.

That does not mean you will not get a good player.
Like I said Tyler Smith was not the top rated OT/OG when he was drafted but after his rookie year he proved most wrong.

If they take Guyton...whether you like him or not...how about giving the kid a chance. He might turn out to be a good one. After all we are picking at 24, if we stay put, and not in the top 10 like we were when we got Tyron.