Sell me on Guyton

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I can only think of Tyron who played LT and RT ant USC, Orlando Brown played LT at Oklahoma, Tristan Wirfs played LT and RT at Iowa, Jonah Williams played LT and RT at Alabama.

Most of these guys were polished players with tons of experience.

Guyton is raw, needs a ton of work etc.

I don’t hate the player and he can be something in the future. But no way in hell does he come in and lock down the LT position without a ton of growing pains.
He can be that 10 year vet but he can be that 3 year project as well.

morasp

Reaction score
Cowboys have been very successful with first round OL picks so if he's the pick there's that.

• Possesses athleticism for consideration at left or right tackle.
  • Impressive movement pulling and getting into space as lead blocker.
  • Hands are accurate and active in the battle to gain advantage after strike.
  • Fundamentally sound pass slides with good balance and quickness.
  • Good awareness to protect B-gap against T/E twists.
  • Length and footwork makes it easier to keep athletic rushers in front of him.
  • Is light on starting experience but heavy on coveted traits.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have no expertise with College Talent Evaluation, so take this with a giant grain of salt. I rely on the evaluations of others.

Your request was to sell you on Guyton.

Dane Brugler has the OTs ranked as follows - he's bunched up with a lot of other good OTs:

Dane Brugler Top 100

Alt (6)
Fashanu (9)
Latham (13)
Fuaga (16)
Mims (17)
Guyton (18)
Fautanu (19)
Morgan (32)
Suamataia (38)
Paul (55)
Amegadjie (58)
Fisher (63)
So, if we get Mims, Guyton or Fautanu at 24, we're getting good value. I'd definitely hope for the best even if I would rather draft JPJ.

I have a tendency to downgrade the fifth-best tackle in a class because generally that player is not better than the top guard or top center, but this class seems to have a lot of talented tackles at the top.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Potential means nothing to me in the first round.

If that athletic measureable potential did not show up in college, why would it show up at the next level?
Well if you read by post to sell him they did show up in college.

What realistic option do you like better at the bottom of the 1st

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Not a big Guyton fan. But I won’t come here and rant about the pick. This team knows now to draft OL. Guyton has intriguing traits. If the kid is our starting LT on day 1 then maybe I’m wrong.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well if you read by post to sell him they did show up in college.

What realistic option do you like better at the bottom of the 1st
If we are confident in the pick, then I will have to trust their evaluation. I just don't want to draft anyone in the first based on a low floor/high ceiling. I would rather trade back and get a legit OC.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If we are confident in the pick, then I will have to trust their evaluation. I just don't want to draft anyone in the first based on a low floor/high ceiling. I would rather trade back and get a legit OC.
Like who? Barton is OC1 and will likely be gone.

JPJ is a 1 year starter with injury and concussion concerns. Good with that?

Frazier is a consensus 2nd rounder coming off a broken leg. Would your rather reach for him instead of Guyton who is unanimously ranked as a top 30 prospect?

At the end of the 1st we likely aren’t getting a sure thing that’s going to be a stud year 1 without growing pains. Perfectly fine if he’s not your preference as he isn’t mine either but have to be somewhat realistic with expectations.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Frazier is a consensus 2nd rounder coming off a broken leg. Would your rather reach for him instead of Guyton who is unanimously ranked as a top 30 prospect?

At the end of the 1st we likely aren’t getting a sure thing that’s going to be a stud year 1 without growing pains. Perfectly fine if he’s not your preference as he isn’t mine either but have to be somewhat realistic with expectations.
We will have to wait and see how it falls. My preference is Barton.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

That’s where I‘m at. The one thing I will say about Guyton is I think he will be very solid in pass pro even at LT. I think his growing pains will be in the run game. Big athletic kid but lacks power.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Of course, me too just think he’s gone before us.
Well supposedly Guards/OC's don't go early or often in round 1, never mind 20th.

I believe their needs are OT, OC, WR, CB and S.
No idea on priority.

If correct, you would think OT should be available Deep WR class, so they could wait for one later.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Well supposedly Guards/OC's don't go early or often in round 1, never mind 20th.

I believe their needs are OT, OC, WR, CB and S.
No idea on priority.

If correct, you would think OT should be available Deep WR class, so they could wait for one later.
Yea, But most classes don’t have a Barton. I’m with you he’s a great pick at 24 just don’t think he’s falling.

Now if a stud WR like BTJ falls or a DT or Edge? I’ll take that all day over Guyton.

But like I said I think Guyton is the most realistic.

Let’s root together for a stud to fall that we can take instead…BTJ, Newton, Arnold.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
This is an I am to smart for everyone pick. Screw the scouts I got lucky with Tyler Smith and will do it again because I am almighty smart GM Arsehole Dude.
I like the trade back but that is it. Guyton is 54 on my board. He has potential but this isn't the draft to reach.