Serious Question: Is Dak better now than Romo in his prime?

GINeric

Reaction score
I can't wait to watch you burying Dak when the next QB comes along.

You strike me as a HUGE bandwagon guy that has no issues burying past players to prop new ones up.

I don't bury anybody. I just speak on what I see on the field and in the stat sheets. You acting like I said Dak was elite or something. He's not but he's better than Romo in more areas as a starting quarterback than Romo was. Thats just my opinion.

Im not like you though. I back my argument up with stats and moments. You are the same one who called Dak a bum and a tier 4 quarterback but FAILED MISERABLY to explain how a tier 4 bum could do what Dak has done with actual facts.

Your only problem with Dak is his skin color and the whole board knows that because I exposed you.

Reactions: Ken

GINeric

Reaction score
What's the point of posting all that nonsense? What has all of that led too?

You have those 5 things copied into a word document that you pull out all the time like anyone cares about it. It's just more empty, meaningless stats that help people that have no idea what they are watching on Sundays follow the game.

But you told me to post it and I did. What did Romo's stats look like in his first 5 years in the league compared to Dak's first 5 years??

I'll wait....

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I don't bury anybody. I just speak on what I see on the field and in the stat sheets. You acting like I said Dak was elite or something. He's not but he's better than Romo in more areas as a starting quarterback than Romo was. Thats just my opinion.

Im not like you though. I back my argument up with stats and moments. You are the same one who called Dak a bum and a tier 4 quarterback but FAILED MISERABLY to explain how a tier 4 bum could do what Dak has done with actual facts.

Your only problem with Dak is his skin color and the whole board knows that because I exposed you.
Just because you can't understand my tiers is a you problem, not a me problem.

Nobody else had any issues with them except you.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You've bought into a lot of lies there.
1) What makes Dak "better leader". Where has Dak lead us that Romo didn't? They must be closer than you make it out to be.
2) "clutch moments"? I am not sure how you measure this. DO you have a stat that shows how many times Romo was repeatedly forced to take the lead in the 4th quarter (because of bad D)? Not sure there is one.

"choker" you say. A lie! From 2006-14, Romo led 27 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter and overtime. That is the most in the NFL over that span, one more than Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan.
3) Dak is building an injury list his own self. Missed time with busted ankle. Injured last year, some people say these injuries are preventing him from playing his 2016 season. When you have up to 3 1st round picks on the line and a 1st round stud RB blocking....you are gonna get less injured.
4) #2) is a lie so you lose all credibility.
You keep talking about Dak like this he's going to accuse you of not liking Dak for reasons other than his play on the field.

That's the game he plays.

See below...

btcutter

Reaction score
I’m not a Dak fan. And I won’t a Romo fan. But I think Dak is more clutch than Romo. I remember waiting for the sky to fall during crunch time. when Romo was QB1.

Got to disagree with you.
If we are down 7 or less and Romo's got more than 90 sec I am confident we are going to score. I don't have that confidence with Dak.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Do you also believe Dak and Romo are better than Aikman and Staubach? Because I'm sure they have them beat in those same stats too.

The QB position, even from when Romo got started, has changed a lot and those stats without context are misleading and is no accurate indicator of who the better player is.
I have been arguing this with many of these same posters . . . they never acknowledge it . . . and never will. . . they hitched their boats to it . . . somehow they are fascinated with all the garbage stats the modern NFL keeps pumping out

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I have been arguing this with many of these same posters . . . they never acknowledge it . . . and never will. . . they hitched their boats to it . . . somehow they are fascinated with all the garbage stats the modern NFL keeps pumping out
Stats is all they have.

Stats are for people that have no idea what they are seeing on Sundays to be able to still follow the game.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                        Pass                Rush                 Rece
Rk         Player From   To AV  G   QBrec  Cmp  Att Cmp%   Yds  TD Rate Lng Int  Sk  Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att  Yds TD Y/A Lng  Rec Yds TD  Y/R Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 77 85 53-32-0 1924 2889 66.6 22083 143 98.7  90  50 176 1036 7.6 7.85 6.87  7.07 307 1460 25 4.8  42    1  11  1 11.0  11
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 72 83 47-30-0 1672 2592 64.5 20834 149 96.9  80  72 142  887 8.0 7.94 7.30  7.20 156  461  4 3.0  17    0  11       0  11
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

Here is Dak's career vs the first 6 seasons that Romo actually played. So Romo has the advantage of having 2 years to sit and learn and work on his mechanics and learn the offense while Dak got thrown in.

Dak's numbers are all better.

Per Game Numbers
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                       
                                                        Pass          Rush
Rk         Player From   To  Cmp  Att   Yds  TD Int  Sk  Yds  Att  Yds  TD
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 22.6 34.0 259.8 1.7 0.6 2.1 12.2  3.6 17.2 0.3
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 20.1 31.2 251.0 1.8 0.9 1.7 10.7  1.9  5.6 0.0
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

PLAYOFFS /Jim Mora voice

HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                  
                                                                                            Pass                Rush
Rk         Player From   To G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A  Att Yds TD Y/A Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 4 1-3-0  89 146 61.0 1048  6 87.9  44   3  9  69 7.2 7.08 6.32  6.22   14  72  3 5.1  17
2       Tony Romo 2006 2009 4 1-3-0  80 135 59.3  832  4 80.8  36   2 12  98 6.2 6.09 4.99  4.93    7  21  0 3.0  11
</PRE>

Thrown in behind the best offensive line and running game in the league. Poor guy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak has improved and what not but I think Romo was greater with less

Prime Romo was 2014 (not coincidentally when we had finally rebuilt the offensive line and had a running game). In 2014, Romo had a passer rating of 113.2 with 3,705 yards, 34 touchdowns and 9 interceptions in 15 games. He had a 69.9 completion percentage.

Last year, Prescott had a 104.2 passer rating with 4,449 yards, 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 16 games. His completion percentage was 68.8.

So purely from a statistics standpoint, you'd have to say Dak is not better than prime Romo. There are other things to look at when judging a quarterback, but prime Romo had an NFL MVP-type year in 2014, Dak only played at an MVP-type level for half a season. The good news is that his injury may have played a big role in that, and prime Dak may end up being better than prime Romo.

The bad news is that it doesn't really matter how good he is if we don't build a championship-caliber team around him. Prime Romo was better in many aspects than prime Aikman, but Aikman has Super Bowl titles because he wasn't asked to carry the team, just be a part of one that had a great offensive line, high-caliber receivers, one of the best running backs in the game and a No. 1 defense. Even the special teams were quite special.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Got to disagree with you.
If we are down 7 or less and Romo's got more than 90 sec I am confident we are going to score. I don't have that confidence with Dak.

Yes, but during his years, we'd score to take the lead in 60 seconds and the other team would move down the field in 30 seconds and win.

DanA

Reaction score
Neither were/are good enough when hamstrung by this front office’s ability in free agency. Doubly so when straddled with the Jason Garrett system.

Romo 2014 was the best we’ve seen from either. Dak has been more consistent.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

I don't think Dak is even better than rookie Dak. He has regressed.. i don't know if it's because defenses have figured him out, he has become less mobile, and the offensive pass scheme has confused him. But no, he ain't better than prime Romo.

GINeric

Reaction score
Just because you can't understand my tiers is a you problem, not a me problem.

Nobody else had any issues with them except you.

Your tiers don't have anything to do with performance on the field, thats why its flawed and dumb as the person who created them.

plymkr

Reaction score
I would take Romo in his prime over Dak in his prime without question. Dak is in his prime and there is a legitimate concern about his reading of defensive schemes, accuracy, and if he can make all the throws. I'm not saying this to disrespect Dak, he's my QB and I root for him but he has his weaknesses and I feel Romo was better.

I also want to remind people that when Romo took over for Bledsoe, there was the Romo Bledsoe comparison for a couple years. I feel like everyone not named the Bucs or Chiefs fans question their starting QB.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't bury anybody. I just speak on what I see on the field and in the stat sheets. You acting like I said Dak was elite or something. He's not but he's better than Romo in more areas as a starting quarterback than Romo was. Thats just my opinion. Im not like you though. I back my argument up with stats and moments. You are the same one who called Dak a bum and a tier 4 quarterback but FAILED MISERABLY to explain how a tier 4 bum could do what Dak has done with actual facts.

I don;t think this kind of thing belongs in this community. You should probably take some time off and cool down.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but during his years, we'd score to take the lead in 60 seconds and the other team would move down the field in 30 seconds and win.
Exactly. Romo haters have short memories or didn't stay up late to faithfully watch.

The poor guy often had to go out there 2-3-4 times to retake the lead. For better or worse...he put the team on his shoulders....his risks....like a true leader does. And continues to take the heat for TEAM failure.

Meanwhile...5 years later...we still have nothing from the guy the team and some fans thought/think is better than Romo.

In all reality...I don't think the team thought Dak was particularly better than Tony. They literally said "we don't want to upset the streak". Like a superstitious poker player. Embarrassing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you gave Romo the "bad D" crutch... but didn't give Dak the same "bad D" crutch when teams were gashing us for 200 yards on the ground.

Do you have a stat that shows us how many times Dak had to play from behind or have drives killed because we lead the league in penalties????

Dak started in the NFL his first season.... why didn't Romo??? If i remember correctly, Romo wasn't even drafted. I wonder why???
Okay so you aren't going to address the stat that proves you wrong? I suppose I don;t blame you...I mean *I* would own up to being wrong...but if ya don;t wanna ya don't wanna.

When did I never give Dak slack for bad D? Man our run defense SUUUU....UUUCKS! But that wasn't the point of my post. The point was to prove you wrong. Which I obviously did by your response.

You are calling other people "dumb" but you don;t know why Dak started his rookie year? Do you think if the starting QB was injured...Tony would have started? DERP.....double derp. Sheesh. You certainly can;t be that dumb. Just desperate, I'd say.

And your final question..."why wasn't Romo drafted". Not sure....maybe too small of college. But you see Gin...that's the point. Going undrafted a walk on!...and becoming one of the best QB's of his time among some very good and HoF QB's...amazing achievement....and you don't give him credit.

Here's the deal..I have said it before (old name? Cowboy Lover). I don't hate Dak. I think he did remarkable in 2016. I think injuries, and some innate flaws have kept him from progressing. I think he's good enough to win...like so many average QB's have done. I support him and cheer him on. I also assess him like i do any other player...regardless of skin color (as does Mountaineer) . So don't make up lies to make yourself feel better.