Twitter: Sham: Romo's overthrow to TWill was different route...Romo vid Post #79

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Am I not reading the thread carefully enough? Is anyone denying what the HC has already said that Tony overthrew that ball? I think everybody agrees on that, right?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Am I not reading the thread carefully enough? Is anyone denying what the HC has already said that Tony overthrew that ball? I think everybody agrees on that, right?

Yes replay easily show Romo over threw it. However Williams still was not where he was suppose to be and that is something he needs to work on. HC, Romo and Dez have pretty much said the same thing. It is not street football you just don't run where you want to the QB has to adjust on the coverage and when the guy is not where he needs to be then it is a problem. A correctable one but one that he needs to wok on.

I'm not looking for blame this is a rookie WR in a pre season game this is a learning moment for him

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes replay easily show Romo over threw it. However Williams still was not where he was suppose to be and that is something he needs to work on. HC, Romo and Dez have pretty much said the same thing. It is not street football you just don't run where you want to the QB has to adjust on the coverage and when the guy is not where he needs to be then it is a problem. A correctable one but one that he needs to wok on.

I'm not looking for blame this is a rookie WR in a pre season game this is a learning moment for him

I know. I was just clarifying because RtH seemed to think there was debate over whether or not there was an overthrow. By the same token, I think it should be a given that the right adjustment wasn't made by the rookie WR. This was two mistakes on one play, and neither are particularly earth-shattering. There's enough blame for everybody involved and no need to defend anybody since this stuff is pretty common.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone that has watched or played football, .. whether in a sandlot pickup game, high school, or college can't just laugh and say, .. "oh, Romo missed that one!"

Any decent QB should have put it close enough to the receiver to let him try to make a catch.

He should have at least given him a chance to make a play, even if he had to wait on the ball.

The QB can't throw it completely out of the WR's reach.

Doesn't make me feel any better when someone says all QB's do this. It is still a bad pass.

Doesn't make me feel any better when someone says he will hit 3 out of 4 passes like that. That leaves us hoping that the 1 out of 4 is not in a divisional winner game, or a win and you're in game, or a playoff game.

The pass does not have to perfectly hit the WR in stride, .. just give him a chance to go and get it, win the ball, and make a play.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think that play sums up the Cowboys the past few years perfectly. So TWilliams runs the wrong route but ends up wide open for an easy TD. What does that say about the play design? To me, I think the correct route should have been whatever TWill did if it's going to get him that wide open. It's a perfect example of the plain vanilla play design that is rampant throughout the play book. How can the correct adjustment to a defense be a crossing route that might get you 10 yards but the wrong adjustment gets you wide open down the sideline for an easy TD? Then of course you have the missed golden opportunity that has dogged this team for at least 3 years now. Romo used to hit that pass with his eyes closed!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone that has watched or played football, .. whether in a sandlot pickup game, high school, or college can't just laugh and say, .. "oh, Romo missed that one!"

Any decent QB should have put it close enough to the receiver to let him try to make a catch.

He should have at least given him a chance to make a play, even if he had to wait on the ball.

Doesn't make me feel any better when someone says all QB's do this. It is still a bad pass.

Doesn't make me feel any better when someone says he will hit 3 out of 4 passes like that. That leaves us hoping that the 1 out of 4 is not in a divisional winner game, or a win and you're in game, or a playoff game.

The pass does not have to perfectly hit the WR in stride, .. just give him a chance to go and get it, win the ball, and make a play.

I have played and this is not sandlot, the WR has responsiblity he must carry out. His job is not to run any where he wants. No doubt Romo over threw him yet Romo does not over throw those passes on most occations his time with Williams has been very limited and the fact Williams was not where he was expected did not happen.

By the way Romo is not the only QB who has over thrown his WR even the best have so don't give me that crud that 3 of 4 BS. Hell Brees has over thrown so has Rodgers and every QB who has played the game.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I have played and this is not sandlot, the WR has responsiblity he must carry out. His job is not to run any where he wants. No doubt Romo over threw him yet Romo does not over throw those passes on most occations his time with Williams has been very limited and the fact Williams was not where he was expected did not happen.

It was man coverage across the board, it basically became sandlot, .. where the WR gets behind the D, throws his hand up and the QB lobs him one.

By the way Romo is not the only QB who has over thrown his WR even the best have so don't give me that crud that 3 of 4 BS. Hell Brees has over thrown so has Rodgers and every QB who has played the game.

Go back and reread my post. I didn't say he was or was not the only QB to overthrow a WR, I didn't say he would hit 3 out of 4.

I was quoting what others had said.

Actually the play before that one disturbs me way more than the overthrow.

2nd and 1, .. we need one yard in this game of field position, one yard, .. so we have the QB take the ball 6-7 yds back from the line of scrimmage and hand it to the RB, so now he is 7-8 yds from the first down and the defense sees right where his is. I don't get it.

If you need one yard, run it right down their throat so that a 1 1/2 yd gain picks up the first down. Not take the ball back 7 yds and then try to pick up your one yard for the first.

That is the play that bothers me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It was man coverage across the board, it basically became sandlot, .. where the WR gets behind the D, throws his hand up and the QB lobs him one.

Go back and reread my post. I didn't say he was or was not the only QB to overthrow a WR, I didn't say he would hit 3 out of 4.

I was quoting what others had said.

Actually the play before that one disturbs me way more than the overthrow.

2nd and 1, .. we need one yard in this game of field position, one yard, .. so we have the QB take the ball 6-7 yds back from the line of scrimmage and hand it to the RB, so now he is 7-8 yds from the first down and the defense sees right where his is. I don't get it.

If you need one yard, run it right down their throat so that a 1 1/2 yd gain picks up the first down. Not take the ball back 7 yds and then try to pick up your one yard for the first.

That is the play that bothers me.

NFL is not sandlot, they don't tell WR to run where ever you choose.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Really? It doesn't?

So if a play breaks down and a receiver improvises and adjusts to get himself to an open area of the field, it doesn't matter if no one is within 20 yards of him, we shouldn't expect Romo to hit him there?

Timing plays, not after a play breaks down. Just common sense.

dstovall5

Reaction score

Even the best QBs over throw WRs, you're acting like he over threw him by 20 yards. It doesn't matter if he missed by 2 yards, or 10 yards, because he still over threw him. You're just looking to complain, just to complain. As for the "Any decent QB should have put it close enough to the receiver to let him try to make a catch." remark, whatever, I guess Romo isn't a "decent" QB then.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
NFL is not sandlot, they don't tell WR to run where ever you choose.

WOW, that's really informative, .. I didn't know that, .. thanks.

Just admit Romo threw a bad pass.

If he expected Williams to run across the middle or a post pattern, then that pass was way worse than I originally thought.

But that's not what happened.
Romo saw him get behind the DB, .. but made a bad pass that went too long.

I am a huge Romo fan, but I can still see when he screws up.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Curious explanation by Romo. I'm wondering what "adjustment" you make to your route, when you've run untouched by a DB, and the only thing between you and the endzone is green? Guess he was supposed to run the old tried-and-true, 30-yard slant play...or maybe a curl?

dstovall5

Reaction score
WOW, that's really informative, .. I didn't know that, .. thanks.

Just admit Romo threw a bad pass.

If he expected Williams to run across the middle or a post pattern, then that pass was way worse than I originally thought.

But that's not what happened.
Romo saw him get behind the DB, .. but made a bad pass that went too long.

I am a huge Romo fan, but I can still see when he screws up.

No one is saying Romo didn't over throw him, it's very obvious he did. But that wasn't the only mistake on that play, only those with an agenda to bash Romo will look past the fact that Williams ran the wrong route. That's not good at all, because it's a good way to give up an interception and a good way to lose your QB's trust.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Even the best QBs over throw WRs, you're acting like he over threw him by 20 yards. It doesn't matter if he missed by 2 yards, or 10 yards, because he still over threw him. You're just looking to complain, just to complain. As for the "Any decent QB should have put it close enough to the receiver to let him try to make a catch." remark, whatever, I guess Romo isn't a "decent" QB then.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not complaining, I like Romo, I am just saying what I saw happen. I see all of the good things he does, and I see things where he doesn't do good.

I am sure Romo agrees that he should have hit Williams.

He should have.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not complaining, I like Romo, I am just saying what I saw happen. I see all of the good things he does, and I see things where he doesn't do good.

I am sure Romo agrees that he should have hit Williams.

He should have.

How the heck am I putting words in your mouth? I quoted you! That's exactly what you said! Your agenda is very obvious and it's quite sad. No one is saying Romo shouldn't have hit Williams.

How am I putting words in your mouth again? o_O

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
How am I putting words in your mouth again? o_O

You said, "I guess Romo isn't a "decent" QB then."

I didn't say Romo was not a decent QB.

Why is it so hard for some to admit when Romo makes a mistake?

What agenda do you think I have that is so sad?

I like Romo, I am a Romo fan, .. I was at his first start, I always defend him when opposing fans tear him down.

But I still can see when something is his fault, .. like an overthrow.

dstovall5

Reaction score
You said, "I guess Romo isn't a "decent" QB then."

I didn't say Romo was not a decent QB.

Why is it so hard for some to admit when Romo makes a mistake?

What agenda do you think I have that is so sad?

I like Romo, I am a Romo fan, .. I was at his first start, I always defend him when opposing fans tear him down.

But I still can see when something is his fault, .. like an overthrow.

You're the one who made the comment, Any decent QB should have put it close enough to the receiver to let him try to make a catch. Romo missed the throw, so I guess he's not decent? Just going by from what you said.

For the agenda part, it comes across that you're bashing Romo just to bash him. No one is disputing that Romo didn't make a mistake, that's just your agenda where you're making up crap. And when I say "no one", yes there may be 1 out of 50 that says Romo didn't make a mistake, but I'm taking about the MAJORITY here.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
It would be cool if someone could/would diagram what the play was actually supposed to happen, if indeed Williams did run the wrong route.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Romo missed the throw, so I guess he's not decent? Just going by from what you said.

That's putting words in someones mouth.

For the agenda part, it comes across that you're bashing Romo just to bash him. No one is disputing that Romo didn't make a mistake, that's just your agenda where you're making up crap.

You may just be a little sensitive if you think me saying he made one bad pass is bashing.

You have not been here very long, .. you will find that I don't have agenda's, I don't play that game.

I just call it like I see it.