Twitter: Sham: Romo's overthrow to TWill was different route...Romo vid Post #79

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
His 2012 stats for passes over 20 yards were about on par with his prior years, other than 2011, which was an exceptionally good year for him on deep passes.

Ok. Maybe that was the drop off I was remembering. Thanks. Typing this from my smartphone, too lazy to look it up without my laptop.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what Romo's accuracy is on deep throws since he took over as a starter. I could be way off base and not remembering correctly, but it seems like he isn't competing as many as he did several years ago.

And this isn't a hating on Romo thing. Let me be clear on that.

I'm never confident on his deep sideline routes. Deep stuff over the middle I expect is going to Witten, and that probably relaxes me.

Miles, the last two years or so has been spotty going up to take the jump balls, and that drives me nuts because that should be a strength of his.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm never confident on his deep sideline routes. Deep stuff over the middle I expect is going to Witten, and that probably relaxes me.

Miles, the last two years or so has been spotty going up to take the jump balls, and that drives me nuts because that should be a strength of his.

100 Percent agree.
I get really frustrated with Miles play sometimes- beyond the injuries- exactly because of that.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
His 2012 stats for passes over 20 yards were about on par with his prior years, other than 2011, which was an exceptionally good year for him on deep passes.
2011 was the year of Robinson, whom Romo prized for his route-running.

Targets of 20+ yards, 2011
Austin 12 of 29 257 yd 8.9 ypa 3 td 0 int 108.0
Bryant 27 of 52 568 yd 10.9 ypa 6 td 1 int 121.3
Robinson 23 of 42 559 yd 13.3 ypa 10 td 1 int 129.5

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

Was going to mention that. It was such a bizarrely good connection. Wish it could have lasted longer.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I think the important thing to note is how preposterously good those numbers are to all of those guys for 20+ yard receptions.
That's insane efficiency.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I think the important thing to note is how preposterously good those numbers are to all of those guys for 20+ yard receptions.
That's insane efficiency.
Three legitimate WR targets will do that for you.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
He was behind the entire defense.. soooo..

If that was the wrong route adjustment, maybe the adjustment that needs to be made is in the playbook.

And again, its irrelevant because Tony saw what adjustment he did make and threw it to that spot. Williams was running up the sideline, the ball went right to the sideline.

Agreed. They say he didn't make the right adjustment based on the way the secondary was lined up. But how can that be, dude was WIDE OPEN. Seems to me that he did make the right adjustment and Garrett and Co. need to revisit whatever adjustment they currently have in place. And yes, bad throw by Romo, exacerbated by the fact that he was probably a little surprised at where Williams was and the fact that Bernadeau was getting pushed back right into his face. Sue him.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Agreed. They say he didn't make the right adjustment based on the way the secondary was lined up. But how can that be, dude was WIDE OPEN. Seems to me that he did make the right adjustment and Garrett and Co. need to revisit whatever adjustment they currently have in place. And yes, bad throw by Romo, exacerbated by the fact that he was probably a little surprised at where Williams was and the fact that Bernadeau was getting pushed back right into his face. Sue him.

Well looking at the play, and the freeze from theogt did, it looks like Romo saw the blitz coming, and the press coverage by the DB and called T-wIll to give him a crossing route, since the Safety was cheating to the other side, to get the ball out hot and with the chance for YAC. But instead T-will ran the fly, and given the pressure by Bern, combined with the missed adjustment from T-will Romo ended up putting to much on the throw and overthrowing him. Both players faults.

But I think T-Will was only open that much because he beat his guy that good...Had he not got the release he got, he would have been covered well and Romo probably eats a sack.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
But I think T-Will was only open that much because he beat his guy that good...Had he not got the release he got, he would have been covered well and Romo probably eats a sack.

lol

But he DID beat his guy, and he WAS wide open, and he WAS behind the entire defense.

I don't know that you can make a better route adjustment than one that gets you wide open behind the opposition's entire defensive unit.

We can blame T Will for the overthrow if we want, but we all know deep down that he did a good job getting open, Romo saw the adjustment and made the throw, and just missed.

We really don't need to try and break it down anymore than that.

When your HC says, "Tony missed a throw".. you can pretty much just stop looking deeper into it at that point.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
lol

But he DID beat his guy, and he WAS wide open, and he WAS behind the entire defense.

I don't know that you can make a better route adjustment than one that gets you wide open behind the opposition's entire defensive unit.

We can blame T Will for the overthrow if we want, but we all know deep down that he did a good job getting open, Romo saw the adjustment and made the throw, and just missed.

When your HC says, "Tony missed a throw".. you can pretty much just stop looking deeper into it at that point.

That doesn't change anything. He should have made the proper adjustment, if he didn't beat his guy and went on the fly with him draped over him and Tony took the sack, then what? Everyone would be lamenting the rookie for making a mistake. Its not about which adjustment was better, because we don't know what could have happened had he ran the route he was suppose to, we only see the almost result of the one he did make. Yea he got behind the defense, good for him. Yes tony missed the throw, bad for him. But most people here (including myself) aren't trying to blame T-wIll for the overthrow, but acknowledging that he made a mistake that lead to the over throw. Sure Romo should have still made the play, but when a QB is looking for one thing and gets another, it throws things off, and when you have a guy getting shoved into your face, you tend to be more prone to a mistake. He made a mistake, so did T-Will. Accept it and move on. its a Team sport for a reason, you can't have a big play without multiple people doing there job.

BTW when your HC says "there was a miscommunication" you can't ignore that and just pretend its all one persons fault

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
That doesn't change anything. He should have made the proper adjustment, if he didn't beat his guy and went on the fly with him draped over him and Tony took the sack, then what? Everyone would be lamenting the rookie for making a mistake.

What would people say if he was going out for a pass and a tidal wave washed over the stadium just as he was about to catch the ball?

Who would have been blamed if just as Tony was about to throw the pass, Optimus Prime came down from the sky and ripped Romo in half?

You can continue to speak in hypotheticals if you wish.. im concerned with what actually happened.

A WR got wide open behind their D for us, and our 108 million dollar QB missed the throw that would have been an easy TD.

It was a miscue, every QB has them, but hopefully it'll be a throw Tony works on a bit more til the season starts.. and i don't think there's any doubt he will.

dstovall5

Reaction score
What would people say if he was going out for a pass and a tidal wave washed over the stadium just as he was about to catch the ball?

Who would have been blamed if just as Tony was about to throw the pass, Optimus Prime came down from the sky and ripped Romo in half?

Lol I just lost it after that statement. I'm not sure if it's because I actually envisioned it happening, or because it completely caught me off guard reading something like that in this thread. I don't think you we're going for a laugh there, but it sure as heck made me chuckle!

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
lol

yeah, it could be left at that. Has happened and still happens to the best of QBs, in fact all QBs in the NFL. I don't piss about those because of that fact.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Lol I just lost it after that statement. I'm not sure if it's because I actually envisioned it happening, or because it completely caught me off guard reading something like that in this thread. I don't think you we're going for a laugh there, but it sure as heck made me chuckle!

Haha, happy to generate a few laughs from time to time. We all take our Cowboys talk seriously, no doubt.. sometimes too much.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

It doesn't matter how wide open you are if you don't run the correct read and subsequent adjustment. Romo knows every route inside and out specifically what reads the WR should make based on the defense and then makes his throws accordingly.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how wide open you are if you don't run the correct read and subsequent adjustment. Romo knows every route inside and out specifically what reads the WR should make based on the defense and then makes his throws accordingly.

Really? It doesn't?

So if a play breaks down and a receiver improvises and adjusts to get himself to an open area of the field, it doesn't matter if no one is within 20 yards of him, we shouldn't expect Romo to hit him there?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Really? It doesn't?

So if a play breaks down and a receiver improvises and adjusts to get himself to an open area of the field, it doesn't matter if no one is within 20 yards of him, we shouldn't expect Romo to hit him there?

Romo over threw him so what? Really this is a pre season game a rookie WR botched his assingment and Romo over threw him now what?

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Really? It doesn't?

I would hope Tony makes those throws 3/4 times at minimum. Most elite QBs would IMO. Tony did not that time. I'm confident he will more often than not though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would hope Tony makes those throws 3/4 times at minimum. Most elite QBs would IMO. Tony did not that time. I'm confident he will more often than not though.

More times than not Romo has. Many of the big plays has happened because of broken plays that he has managed to buy the time and find the target down field. He has not had that much time with Williams and he over threw the ball