Twitter: Sham: Romo's overthrow to TWill was different route...Romo vid Post #79

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Whether you fault Romo or Williams, .. in the NFL you don't get many opportunities to have a WR that far behind the defense, .. you simply can not miss that chance, .. and yet again, we did. (Austin and Crayton ?)

That has to be a TD. Only good thing about it was that it was a preseason game, .. this time.

I'm watching you, Romo.

tumblr_mgbuy0h0di1s199leo1_500.jpg

zack

Reaction score
Wow, this place is almost as bad as Cowboys/Facebook page. They post of a picture of Miles Austin and in the comments section, Cowboy fans or so called Cowboys fans go out of they way to bash Romo.

He overthrew him. It's preseason. Get over it.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Wow, this place is almost as bad as Cowboys/Facebook page. They post of a picture of Miles Austin and in the comments section, Cowboy fans or so called Cowboys fans go out of they way to bash Romo.

He overthrew him. It's preseason. Get over it.

On the plus side, you know your QB looks ready for the season when the biggest complaint of pre-season is a single missed throw to a rookie in a practice game. lol

T-RO

Reaction score
14 pts left on the field by your $100M QB. Unacceptable.

What is unacceptable is a fan who blames the quarterback for 4 fumbles by his receiver. Your mindless fixation of hate is clear to all.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Why don't you treat them the same? Why does Romo get a pass but Dunbar gets hung for his error? Both plays cost us 7 points. Yet for some reason you guys want to pick on the guy making $400k this year and then turn around and say "it's not a big issue", "so what", "who cares" for the guy with the $100M dollar contract. #RomoStansUnite

well simply put, overthrows do happen to many QBs, it is normal and we fans come to accept it as part of football. Fumbles are not so much part of, or atleast not accepted as much. there is no hidden agenda or anything.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
whether or not it was a bad play by both players or just Romo, it is preseason and those kind of bad plays happen all the time, normal part of any QBs game. to me this is not a deal at all.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
What it sounds like is Romo called for an adjusted route, which Williams didn't see, and ran the original called route (which was the fly) Romo originally looking for the crossing then had to adjust to the route Williams was actually running and over threw him. It happens...Why this thread is this long is because the Romo Lovers and Haters are battling for no reason. Its a pre-season game with a Rookie. They both made a mistake, we missed out on six points, and sadly we stunk up the joint. how about we move on to the Bengals...because I'm sure the Cowboys have.

CowboyDiver

Reaction score
What it sounds like is Romo called for an adjusted route, which Williams didn't see, and ran the original called route (which was the fly) Romo originally looking for the crossing then had to adjust to the route Williams was actually running and over threw him. It happens...Why this thread is this long is because the Romo Lovers and Haters are battling for no reason. Its a pre-season game with a Rookie. They both made a mistake, we missed out on six points, and sadly we stunk up the joint. how about we move on to the Bengals...because I'm sure the Cowboys have.

I don't think it was so much that Romo called for an adjusted route....basically it seems like the way the safety was playing it was supposed to be an automatic route adjustment. Williams apparently missed it. Apparently the fly was an adjustment to the original route, just not the one expected.

Romo should have taken his time and put it on the money.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I don't think it was so much that Romo called for an adjusted route....basically it seems like the way the safety was playing it was supposed to be an automatic route adjustment. Williams apparently missed it. Apparently the fly was an adjustment to the original route, just not the one expected.

Romo should have taken his time and put it on the money.

I chalk it up to one of those SNAFU's that happen between a QB and his receiver during a meaningless game. But, I'm sure it will be talked about and worked out, but those things happen, even with vets playing in a real game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It means that he missed the read, but he ran a nice pattern on what he did run.

Even Williams acknowledged what he missed. Can this please just die? Receiver ran wrong route for the coverage but got open. QB a little surprised by the route but overthrew the wide open receiver.

Yes, it seems pretty simple.

Romo was at fault for overthrowing an open Williams because Williams didn't adjust his route.

Williams was at fault for not making the route adjustment, but ran the wrong route beautifully to get open.

Cowboyszone members are at fault because they can't just let it go at that.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Well whatever he did, it worked. He was wide open.

Yep. And regardless, Romo over-threw the ball. Plain and simple. I saw the play. Tony had enough time to set up the throw. You could almost tell that Tony thought this pass was going to be a "gimme", but he missed Williams by two or three yards.

I'm glad it's preseason. These are the kind of plays that we are going to need when it starts to count.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It wasn't a wrong route by Williams or a bad throw by Romo. It was Bernadeau sucking *** and forcing a quick throw. Bernadeau sucked it up all game.

Romo had to adjust his throwing motion and couldn't step into the pass because the defender was right in his face.

OkkF8pP.jpg

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Actually from the Cowboys perspective in the FWST blurb, there were two mistakes... Williams ran the wrong route AND Romo missed him. So two mistakes caused a missed opportunity.

As an aside, just because a point was made doesn't mean a discussion ends... You should know that by now. So if you've made your point and think the discussion is over, you're more than welcome to tap out and dip into one of the other threads on the Zone. ;)

The coach said Tony missed a throw.. i was hoping everyone could take that to heart and just move on, so i said as much.

;)

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Williams made the wrong route adjustment based on the defensive coverage.

He was behind the entire defense.. soooo..

If that was the wrong route adjustment, maybe the adjustment that needs to be made is in the playbook.

And again, its irrelevant because Tony saw what adjustment he did make and threw it to that spot. Williams was running up the sideline, the ball went right to the sideline.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It wasn't a wrong route by Williams or a bad throw by Romo. It was Bernadeau sucking *** and forcing a quick throw. Bernadeau sucked it up all game.

Romo had to adjust his throwing motion and couldn't step into the pass because the defender was right in his face.

OkkF8pP.jpg

Bernedeau was our worst starting OL in that game. I'm starting to think I'd prefer Arkin over him. Arkin gets knocked back, too, but has had it happen less than Bern this preseason. I've been pleasantly surprised by Arkin. Of course, Bern is coming off injury, so that might be the reason he's not playing as well (although his play looks a lot like what we saw last year).

Best option still would be to go get a real starting guard like Waters IMO.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I wonder what Romo's accuracy is on deep throws since he took over as a starter. I could be way off base and not remembering correctly, but it seems like he isn't competing as many as he did several years ago.

And this isn't a hating on Romo thing. Let me be clear on that.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I wonder what Romo's accuracy is on deep throws since he took over as a starter. I could be way off base and not remembering correctly, but it seems like he isn't competing as many as he did several years ago.

And this isn't a hating on Romo thing. Let me be clear on that.
His 2012 stats for passes over 20 yards were about on par with his prior years, other than 2011, which was an exceptionally good year for him on deep passes.