Video: Shan and RJ: What do NFL execs, coaches and players think of Jaylon Smith

stilltheguru

Reaction score
So after hearing those guys listed....it just goes to show that the NFL just doesn't have that many good linebackers it seems.....

Their point about PFF is one of I've been wondering though...people can sit here and knock PFF but usually their rankings are on par with most rankings....but Devin White....I'm not sure how they got to his grade. As a matter of fact its a few of those guys not hat list with terrible grades....Patrick Queen is another one.
He played better in the playoffs than reg season. His playoff pff grade was elite, so you're right in off being pretty accurate

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He looked better overall in 2018 than he has in 2019 and 20. However, both he and LVE got exposed badly in the Colts and Rams game that year, so you have to wonder if they were using them in a way that wasnt sustainable. After the tail end of 2018, it was downhill for both players. LVE hasnt looked anywhere near as good as 2018 even when healthy

I Will never forget Jaylon comments after the Rams playoff loss........" they made us use our eyes"
Interestingly, he nor LVE has been the same since

Mannix

Reaction score
-----And Jaylon is downright stealing money at this point.
Excellent post.

Um....her name is Jaclyn.

-----I can't decide who I like the least Jaylon, Shan, or RJ.

Make things easy then, and go off the board for Mickey.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So is that weighed heavily? Because his score wasn't just bad..His score was significantly lower than even Jaylon's....
What he told you is not even accurate.. His run grade was actually the issue... 38.3 which rated 81st out of 93 LBs.

The real reason for the disconnect is PFF used regular season grades and these folks graded him largely off a fantastic playoff run where every game was double digit SOLO tackles.
That's severely different from the regular season where he has 1 such game in 16 weeks.
He also had 2 INT in the post season as well.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They've grown enough to the point that actual NFL teams use it.

Their raw data is 2nd to none......I think where they get in trouble a bit is offering their OPINION as experts within the big picture. Kinda like using a computer printout w/o ever seeing, coaching or playing the game.

+1

2019 was another banner year at PFF. PFF now works with all 32 NFL teams and a rapidly growing 80+ FBS team clients to gain an edge in their weekly preparation. The typical client reports that our service gives them up to a full day head start on their weekly breakdown and scouting processes. Now over 75% of Power 5 teams are clients.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What he told you is not even accurate.. His run grade was actually the issue... 38.3 which rated 81st out of 93 LBs.

The real reason for the disconnect is PFF used regular season grades and these folks graded him largely off a fantastic playoff run where every game was double digit SOLO tackles.
That's severely different from the regular season where he has 1 such game in 16 weeks.
He also had 2 INT in the post season as well.
I actually noticed this during the season though...on the exterior he had 140 tackles and 9 sacks....now do I think those stats make you a good player? It can be deceiving especially if you don't get to watch him much. But seems like that would at least put him at Jaylons' stats PFF grading wise lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Their raw data is 2nd to none......I think where they get in trouble a bit is offering their OPINION as experts within the big picture. Kinda like using a computer printout w/o ever seeing, coaching or playing the game.

+1

2019 was another banner year at PFF. PFF now works with all 32 NFL teams and a rapidly growing 80+ FBS team clients to gain an edge in their weekly preparation. The typical client reports that our service gives them up to a full day head start on their weekly breakdown and scouting processes. Now over 75% of Power 5 teams are clients.
Yeah man I don't get the flack they get....maybe its the so called "experts" who feel PFF should validate their expert opinions.......but i've rarely seen their scores reflect poorly when it comes to the Cowboys who I watch every week. More time than not its pretty on point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
maybe so, but contract aside, if he gets beat out, he will be really high quality depth. We have a nice lb core. The contract is what it is

Are you trying to find some kind of silver lining or something? If Jaylon isnt playing much then with his ego he will be demanding a trade most likely.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Are you trying to find some kind of silver lining or something? If Jaylon isnt playing much then with his ego he will be demanding a trade most likely.

i guess you can call it that. If he doesn't get traded, or take a pay cut, what do you think should happen with him?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule it out but I don't think he has the "ego" you guys think he has. That's not even consistent with his character......you can say a lot about him but disrupting the locker room is something Terrell Owens would do not Jaylon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
i guess you can call it that. If he doesn't get traded, or take a pay cut, what do you think should happen with him?
If someone beats him out like you said earlier he's solid depth. There's no point in cutting him or trading him for a 6th or 7th rounder.....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He needs to be either given away or cut whenever is the most advantageous with the salary cap. I would obviously wait until after TC and see how things go.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule it out but I don't think he has the "ego" you guys think he has. That's not even consistent with his character......you can say a lot about him but disrupting the locker room is something Terrell Owens would do not Jaylon.

Who said anything about disrupting? He thinks he is the cats meow and his ego wouldn't allow him to sit on the bench all year. He thinks he is way better than he actually is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If someone beats him out like you said earlier he's solid depth. There's no point in cutting him or trading him for a 6th or 7th rounder.....

Absolutely there is. If it saves us millions this year and next then it definitely is. It would also send a strong message that they are going in another direction and if you dont play up to par your gone.

Redline360

Reaction score
What else is new. Coaches and players list just confirms what 90% of the fan base already knows.

Dude is legit stealing money at this point. Like I don't even understand how anyone can defend him at this point

dsturgeon

Reaction score
He needs to be either given away or cut whenever is the most advantageous with the salary cap. I would obviously wait until after TC and see how things go.

you need to reread what you quoted

Mannix

Reaction score
------There's no point in cutting him or trading him for a 6th or 7th rounder.

I would GIVE UP a 6th or 7th rounder for someone to take him, just so he isn't around poisoning the younger players with his douchery.