Video: Shan and RJ: What do NFL execs, coaches and players think of Jaylon Smith

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule it out but I don't think he has the "ego" you guys think he has. That's not even consistent with his character......you can say a lot about him but disrupting the locker room is something Terrell Owens would do not Jaylon.
I don't think his problem is his ego as much as his delusion, which I blame on the D coaches.

I say this cause I remember the 2019 season when he went on Twitter to ask for Pro Bowl votes, now anyone can see he wasn't having a good season.

So what in his brain made him believe that - do they not watch tape with the coaches - what in the heck were the coaches telling him and for that matter LVE.

They both balled out in 2018 but were were both trash in '19 and '20 - coaching matters...

Verdict

Reaction score
Yep. I didn't have a huge issue with Zeke getting the consensus vote as most overpaid based off production for his last year or 2 but Lawrence is definitely in the same conversation imo.

And Jaylon is downright stealing money at this point.
Excellent post.
Tanks contract is worse.

exciter

Reaction score
If there are better lb's, hopefully they make the field over jaylon, but jaylon is good enough to get quality snaps. It is up to the coaches to put everyone in positions to make the LB's top notch.

Marinelli had him playing well when he got that contract. He was getting lots of sacks and other stuff
And then the Colts and later the Rams exposed he couldn’t diagnose vs zone run schemes and teams have been abusing him since!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

These idiots lost me on the DLaw not cracking top 16 DEs. So what 15 are better? How far into the organizations did ESPN (dog sheet sports network) have to dig to get the answers they wanted? I bet the parking lot ops director and food and beverage exec weren't too far off base for accumulating that data.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I actually noticed this during the season though...on the exterior he had 140 tackles and 9 sacks....now do I think those stats make you a good player? It can be deceiving especially if you don't get to watch him much. But seems like that would at least put him at Jaylons' stats PFF grading wise lol.
He was actually worse than Jaylon at times that I saw. He isn't physical at the point of attack at times and he is so fast when he gets out of position he is wayyyy out of position.
But he kinda learned and adjusted and TB just flat got better with their scheme as the year went on to where they were easily the best defense in the playoffs by a wide margin.
Jaylon and the Cowboys got better too but it was versus bad offenses at the end of a trash season so no one cares.

PFF scoring is a per play deal where you can add up negatives real quick.

But it is also a triple-blind so there is no bias. 3 different people have to see it to score it.
It'll never be perfect, nothing is.
But people worship EPA and EPA can really blow scores.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
These idiots lost me on the DLaw not cracking top 16 DEs. So what 15 are better? How far into the organizations did ESPN (dog sheet sports network) have to dig to get the answers they wanted? I bet the parking lot ops director and food and beverage exec weren't too far off base for accumulating that data.
I am with you here. There's zero doubt DLaw is a top 15 DE.
The only caveat here is a lot of orgs probably grade DLaw as a down lineman and not an Edge which can confuse scoring.
He might have ranked int he 20s on both lists for instance.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please tell me you guys do not get a steady diet of those two guys in that video.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was actually worse than Jaylon at times that I saw. He isn't physical at the point of attack at times and he is so fast when he gets out of position he is wayyyy out of position.
But he kinda learned and adjusted and TB just flat got better with their scheme as the year went on to where they were easily the best defense in the playoffs by a wide margin.
Jaylon and the Cowboys got better too but it was versus bad offenses at the end of a trash season so no one cares.

PFF scoring is a per play deal where you can add up negatives real quick.

But it is also a triple-blind so there is no bias. 3 different people have to see it to score it.
It'll never be perfect, nothing is.
But people worship EPA and EPA can really blow scores.
I’m a fan of PFF honestly. I wasn’t initially but they really seem to be the best out there regardless of how people feel about it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’m a fan of PFF honestly. I wasn’t initially but they really seem to be the best out there regardless of how people feel about it.
it is definitely flawed but everything else.
i subscribe to the basic plan but cant hand out 500a year or whatever for premium.

jnday

Reaction score
maybe so, but contract aside, if he gets beat out, he will be really high quality depth. We have a nice lb core. The contract is what it is
He will be high priced depth which is not really high quality depth. He is a below average starter that would have benched if there was any depth behind him last season.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The team needs to cut Jaylon ASAP... he is a progress stopper for Jabril Cox and Micah Parsons at this point.

I really think Jaylon's issues are mental at this point... his best game of 2020 came vs the Giants, when he knew all the calls in Garrett's playbook. Dude can physically play, but he lacks both the football IQ to diagnose and the motivation to work on it. And the latter isn't changing in Dallas, where "if the owner ain't tripping we ain't tripping." He's pretty much just stealing money and snaps at this point.

I think his best situation honestly would be to end up on the Colts. Get him back to the Eberflus defense he seemed to know with a coaching staff that isn't afraid to hold him accountable.