Shaping up to be an ugly off season

MyFairLady

Reaction score
This organization is run poorly and is run by someone that can’t be fired. It’s a perpetual train wreck.
Well said. It is a literal clown show. Like it or not people we are drunk Jerry's play toy. Prepare for more sadness to come.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Stephen has already said we will not be players in Free Agency.

We are currently over the salary cap.

We have several bloated contracts for players who are not producing at their level of pay.
Some we cant afford to trade or cut because of their cap hits,
Zeke for example.

We have 21 Free Agents, many that were key contributors, most we wont be able to afford to resign.

Our only hope is the Draft and we will be picking much later, 24th, than last year, making it much more difficult to find impact players.

We continue having a GM in place that has repeatedly showed he is not competent to handle the duties of the job.

So buckle up for the Winter of discontentment my fellow Cowboys fans!
The coming offseason is not any uglier than any other offseason after failing to achieve our main objective of winning an SB. Every offseason offers its own set of challenges. The salary cap is always a challenge. FA is always a challenge. Scouting for the draft is always a challenge, Drafting is always a challenge. Blaming the GM is a lame cop-out that unsatisfied fans do because its low hanging fruit. It's a lazy observation that gets made every year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Putting aside for the moment whether or not anyone feels the Cowboys can win a SB with Dak, which is of course unknown at this point, like any team you have your "stars" and the rest of the players. Key positions have to be filled, no doubt about that. What team won a SB with nothing but average players?

None.

So let's see, what positions have "stars" at?

QB (Dak), RB (Zeke or Pollard, take your pick), WR (Lamb, Cooper, Gallup), OG (Martin), TE (Schultz is borderline, but let's be generous here, he's still young), DE (Lawrence), LB (Pollard), CB (Diggs), P (Anger), LS (I forget his name).

So the Cowboys need, at the least, OT (2), OG (1), DT (2) and S, just to have a "star" at all basic positions.

That's 6 players. Can't get 6 "stars" in one draft, just isn't happening.

That means we need at least 2 years to fill the needed spots, and the chances of all of the other "stars" still being there are 3 - slim, fat and no.

I can't see much hope for this team to return to the SB anytime soon. Of course I'm not on the Cowboys staff, maybe they can figure out a way to do it sooner. But after 26 years of futility, that doesn't seem likely either...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The coming offseason is not any uglier than any other offseason after failing to achieve our main objective of winning an SB. Every offseason offers its own set of challenges. The salary cap is always a challenge. FA is always a challenge. Scouting for the draft is always a challenge, Drafting is always a challenge. Blaming the GM is a lame cop-out that unsatisfied fans do because its low hanging fruit. It's a lazy observation that gets made every year.
What has our GM done to inspire your confidence my friend?

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
No you are the one that can’t handle it. As you all do the same crap over and over and over. Every single freaking day. Come up with something constructive.
Just pointing that out you all of you.
Whiner…this place is harder to take as each day goes by. So I will leave it to you and the whiners for awhile.
Maybe one day you will all get your way and have nothing bit whiners on here.

I put you on ignore so you would stop harassing me over and over for the day. But back on ignore you go…
I hear ya
I choose not to say much anymore - I get it - allot of dejected fans here - I’m one of them but I also have choices - I could stop being a fan of the cowboys after 45+ years - I can come on here and whine about how disappointing it is - bloviate my opinions as if they’re facts - or simply just check out - start next year 0-0 again and root for my favorite team - it’s like choices in life - one could choose to wallow in self pity - express anger - blame the world - or try to find something positive to latch onto - I get it / I don’t blame some for choosing their positions and frustrations but for me to debate them is futile. No I’m not a homer - no I don’t have delusions of granger - but the Dallas Cowboys are my team and always will be so I choose to not get sucked into the emotional pool of despair and realistically hope for the best / root for da boys
Some would label me as a blind optimist - but that’s truthfully how I choose to see life - rooting for the cowboys is part of that - but it is just a game / entertainment - one I refuse to take so seriously that it makes me miserable - does that make me less a fan - no - do those who choose the opposite make them less a fan - no - it’s perspective - self health - we all choose how we process and define what we do - I choose to enjoy when I can -
Go Cowboys

Brax

Reaction score
Actually, it is true. He installed himself and his son as the personnel department. They decide who to draft, who to give big contracts, and who coaches the team.

Jerry did that because he wants there to be no doubt who gets the credit for the next SB ring, which is his prerogative. But if you're going to run things that way, you also get the "credit" for 3 measly wild card round playoff wins in 25 years.
And therein lies the biggest problem

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What has our GM done to inspire your confidence my friend?
Hiring Dan Quinn, drafting Micah Parsons, improving to a 12-5 season means we are moving in the right direction, extending Will McClay's contract. I can go on.

Your willful ignorance of not seeing these things explains your point of view. I pity you for being so lost in doom & gloom.

blueblood70

Reaction score
says you ,might want to wait like 2 months when the actual Offseason begins to start the incessive whining.

i mean we have a 12-5 division winning team with #1 offense, top ranked defense, went 6-0 in the division, and realize we could use a nip and tuck here and there for improvement with all the FA and UFA/RFAS on our own team but it's not like we were 4-12 and trying to rebuild.

whatever toy read and hear does not spell doom and gloom.

many here picked us to be 9-8 or worse this year and that wasn't the case. we have the pieces and ill let them get to sept 4th to start judging the off season and look at what they assembled.

i mean you are tad bit early, im sure you realize how this is ridiculously early with zero proof on results we aren't even in the offseason yet, official NFL offseason usually is in march/april 2022..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hiring Dan Quinn, drafting Micah Parsons, improving to a 12-5 season means we are moving in the right direction, extending Will McClay's contract. I can go on.

Your willful ignorance of not seeing these things explains your point of view. I pity you for being so lost in doom & gloom.
think you someone with common sense

8-8. 6-10 12-5 looks like improvement to me.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Stephen has already said we will not be players in Free Agency.

We are currently over the salary cap.

We have several bloated contracts for players who are not producing at their level of pay.
Some we cant afford to trade or cut because of their cap hits,
Zeke for example.

We have 21 Free Agents, many that were key contributors, most we wont be able to afford to resign.

Our only hope is the Draft and we will be picking much later, 24th, than last year, making it much more difficult to find impact players.

We continue having a GM in place that has repeatedly showed he is not competent to handle the duties of the job.

So buckle up for the Winter of discontentment my fellow Cowboys fans!

I'm sure Dak will say, "You know what, I'm way overpaid because I failed to deliver. Let's tear up my contract and I'll play for 5 mil a year. Use all that extra money to get superb linemen and other great players. I care more about winning than money."

Yuppers. I'm sure that's gonna happen. Yup. Ain't no doubt about it. Any day now, Dak's calling Jerry up to say is being paid so much is a mistake ........................... okay, maybe not.

TheHerd

Reaction score
To be honest the free agent issue isn't as bad as it may seem. Remember, as Jerry once said, we lose 15/20% through attrition anyway. I think we have to focus on the starting positions. As of now, that would replacing LVE, Connor W, TE, Gregory and at least one safety. Looking for replacements via draft, we can probably rule our a high pick on safety and TE. I'm guessing LBer, DE and G will be at the top of their list.

And let's be honest. Only Kearse is really worth going after with any gusto. Upgrading the the others isn't like we're trying to get a Kelce or a Watt in here. LVE is awful, Connor is awful, TE are average with glaring weaknesses, Gregory is a dunderhead who flashes on a rare occasion.

The entire Free agent list are serviceable players at best. We, and unfortunately the front office, vastly overrate our own players.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
You can single out any player, but as a team, we are simply not good enough right now to beat good teams. We can't afford to get better outside the draft, and if you bring back the same brainless HC and OC? What is there to look forward to? How we're gonna beat on the NFC East? You even sure about that if Quinn leaves?

TheHerd

Reaction score
If the offseason doesn't include a gutting of the coaching staff, then it's just a waste.

McCarthy isn't good enough to get us where we want to go.
And they have stated MM is staying. We're losing others for sure.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it is going to get really really ugly and it will happen fast

when there is no money to make the entire offense “dak friendly” any more then people will see what ugly really look like

it will not be pretty if the team think the media & fans is upset now
:hammer:

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just ran the numbers on sportrac if you were to do the following:

1. Restructured Dak Prescott
    (Saved: $12,643,333)
  2. Restructured Zack Martin
    (Saved: $7,147,333)
  3. Restructured Tyron Smith
    (Saved: $6,190,000)
  4. Restructured La'el Collins
    (Saved: $5,976,667)
  5. Released Blake Jarwin
    (Saved: $4,250,000)
  6. Released Will Grier
    (Saved: $1,020,408)
  7. Released Greg Zuerlein
    (Saved: $2,500,000)

That gives you $15.6 million in cap space.

If you restructure Zeke - I know, that is REALLY kicking the can down the road it would get you to $24.7 million
If you cut Cooper and leave Zeke contract to where next year is the out - you get to $31.6 million - Can restructure and get to $28.2 million

If you really bite the bullet and cut Tank/Cooper - you are close to $40 million

Anthony Brown saves another $5 million if released.
McGovern saves $2.4 million if released