Shaping up to be an ugly off season

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hiring Dan Quinn, drafting Micah Parsons, improving to a 12-5 season means we are moving in the right direction, extending Will McClay's contract. I can go on.

Your willful ignorance of not seeing these things explains your point of view. I pity you for being so lost in doom & gloom.
First off there is no reason not to be civil.
I acknowledge the positive things you mentioned.
You offer no concrete reasons why my points are not valid especially all of the free agents we are going to lose.
You have a great day sir.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
think you someone with common sense

8-8. 6-10 12-5 looks like improvement to me.
It is improvement, but is is sustainable with the free agency losses we are going to have and the bad contracts we have?
These are legit concerns and I don't see why its not "Common Sense" to address them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm sure Dak will say, "You know what, I'm way overpaid because I failed to deliver. Let's tear up my contract and I'll play for 5 mil a year. Use all that extra money to get superb linemen and other great players. I care more about winning than money."

Yuppers. I'm sure that's gonna happen. Yup. Ain't no doubt about it. Any day now, Dak's calling Jerry up to say is being paid so much is a mistake ........................... okay, maybe not.
In all fairness Dak was grossly underpaid his first 4 years here playing on a rookie 4th round contract.
Just want to keep it real.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
First off there is no reason not to be civil.
I acknowledge the positive things you mentioned.
You offer no concrete reasons why my points are not valid especially all of the free agents we are going to lose.
You have a great day sir.
Did I mention your willful ignorance? It may be something hard for you to hear but you need to hear it. You asked for my reasons to be inspired by the things the GM has done. I unloaded with both barrels. I concede that had to be an unpleasant dose of reality to you considering how you seem to not want to see it. I'm not going to apologize for speaking my mind. Trust me, I was as gentle as I know how to be. ;)

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As several have already noted, this offseason won't be any uglier than previous years. If you assume that the past is the key to the future, then we can look forward to more of the same.

Although a "house-cleaning" may be in order, my guess is that the Jones boys will view Dak and his contract as the "window is open" as far as a SB run is concerned -- meaning, they will continue to rearrange a few deck chairs without drastically altering the course... how's that for a bunch of mixed metaphors?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen has already said we will not be players in Free Agency.

We are currently over the salary cap.

We have several bloated contracts for players who are not producing at their level of pay.
Some we cant afford to trade or cut because of their cap hits,
Zeke for example.

We have 21 Free Agents, many that were key contributors, most we wont be able to afford to resign.

Our only hope is the Draft and we will be picking much later, 24th, than last year, making it much more difficult to find impact players.

We continue having a GM in place that has repeatedly showed he is not competent to handle the duties of the job.

So buckle up for the Winter of discontentment my fellow Cowboys fans!

It was certainly a missed opportunity with the player and coaching talent we had this year. And overall health was as good as any team in the league.

The 2021 season will be infamous in Cowboys history.

And we’ll have to watch plenty of talent leave for greener pastures.

Golden opportunity wasted.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you need to know is this. When Romo was signed to his last contract, Booger was asked about paying him so much more than the previous one. His response "he will play better because he's getting paid better".

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
As several have already noted, this offseason won't be any uglier than previous years. If you assume that the past is the key to the future, then we can look forward to more of the same.

Although a "house-cleaning" may be in order, my guess is that the Jones boys will view Dak and his contract as the "window is open" as far as a SB run is concerned -- meaning, they will continue to rearrange a few deck chairs without drastically altering the course... how's that for a bunch of mixed metaphors?
Thanks for you post.
My concern is this :
In the past we have bargain bin shopped in free agency and therefore got little contribution from said players.
This year we hit on our blue light special free agents.
Most of them on one year deals which are expiring.
They played well and earned decent raises which we wont be able to afford.
We are going to lose a fair number of starters and quality backups, especially on defense.
So I see us taking a step back, and not a step up or even status quo.
This past year was out best shot at a decent post season run.
I see us doing worse next year record wise and not one poster has given a realistic solution to the issue I have raised.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It was certainly a missed opportunity with the player and coaching talent we had this year. And overall health was as good as any team in the league.

The 2021 season will be infamous in Cowboys history.

And we’ll have to watch plenty of talent leave for greener pastures.

Golden opportunity wasted.
BINGO !!!!!!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Did I mention your willful ignorance? It may be something hard for you to hear but you need to hear it. You asked for my reasons to be inspired by the things the GM has done. I unloaded with both barrels. I concede that had to be an unpleasant dose of reality to you considering how you seem to not want to see it. I'm not going to apologize for speaking my mind. Trust me, I was as gentle as I know how to be. ;)
Guess we will have to disagree on the Cowboys and how to have a civil discourse.

John813

Reaction score
IMO the FO will smell their own farts and think this team is a good draft and player development away from another run.

What I think they will, not what I would do:

1. Restructure Martin. Still an elite player, they'll ride him till he retires suddenly or breaks down
2. Restructure Cooper OR trade/cut him and re-sign Gallup.
3. Restructure Prescott. They will say his injury/the water boy was spiking the water and now with another offseason he'll play like the first half the entire 2022 season or some crap
3b. Don't touch the deals of Lawrence, Collins and Smith. Possible June 1st action depending on the draft
4. Won't be players in FA(no surprise) but I think they will try to retain Kearse to a medium sized deal. Honest offers to Hooker, Schultz RG.
5. Sign more "diamonds in the rough" to cheap deals
6. Pray the draft falls their way to fill holes
7. Start the offseason hype.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
IMO the FO will smell their own farts and think this team is a good draft and player development away from another run.

What I think they will, not what I would do:

1. Restructure Martin. Still an elite player, they'll ride him till he retires suddenly or breaks down
2. Restructure Cooper OR trade/cut him and re-sign Gallup.
3. Restructure Prescott. They will say his injury/the water boy was spiking the water and now with another offseason he'll play like the first half the entire 2022 season or some crap
3b. Don't touch the deals of Lawrence, Collins and Smith. Possible June 1st action depending on the draft
4. Won't be players in FA(no surprise) but I think they will try to retain Kearse to a medium sized deal. Honest offers to Hooker, Schultz RG.
5. Sign more "diamonds in the rough" to cheap deals
6. Pray the draft falls their way to fill holes
7. Start the offseason hype.
:hammer:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That might be true but he was making peanuts for a Starting QB in the NFL.
But he was making about what every other 4th rounder was making, and perks most others could only dream of, such as endorsement deals, simply for being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. You don't pay a player to make up for what he may have deserved in the past, whether real or perceived. You pay a player for what they're going to bring to the table. So far Dak hasn't presented us with a feast.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
But he was making about what every other 4th rounder was making, and perks most others could only dream of, such as endorsement deals, simply for being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. You don't pay a player to make up for what he may have deserved in the past, whether real or perceived. You pay a player for what they're going to bring to the table. So far Dak hasn't presented us with a feast.
Been kinda lean lately I agree :(

blueblood70

Reaction score
It is improvement, but is is sustainable with the free agency losses we are going to have and the bad contracts we have?
These are legit concerns, and I don't see why its not "Common Sense" to address them.
how about once more, lets wait and see, this is all hyperbole and overreaction before something happens.,you miss that in my response..i mean you are months early. calm down go take vacation and unwind, you seem to need it LOL I know i do,