Share the cut from an album that blew your mind when it was first released

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Both of the following albums are still two of my absolute favorite of all time. When they were released, I was immediately hooked. Every song on both albums rock. No half-a**ed songs on them.

and...

I said Back In Black as my first choice, then I realized he meant one song off the album. As an album, BiB was a monster, and totally "blew my mind", but there are individual songs that had a much bigger effect on me than any on the BiB album.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I had a teacher in 5th grade who played this and explained the meaning behind it, and though she wasn't quite right, it was an important moment for me to realize that artists use metaphors to express their deepest thoughts.......That said, the song never blew me away until I heard Disturbed's rendition of it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I don't have one particular song that i can specifically point to and say 'that's the one that did it', but when i was 13 and listened to this guy for the first time i was absolutely blown away

It sent me on a 3 or 4 year deep dive into all things Alice. He'll always have a special place in my rock n roll heart.

'I'd give a month of cigarettes for just a couple of lousy beers...'

This^^
I was about the same age when a older cousin gave me a 8track of Schools Out, I was hooked forever. Love everything on it from beginning to end. The material he did with the original band was stellar stuff.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Amboy Dukes
" Tooth Fang& Claw"

* my Mother whisked thru my bedroom's closed door, to yank my head from out between the two stereo box speakers I'd cobbled together and had set up on both sides of an 8-track turntable I'd centerpiece on top of my chest of drawers casing-liner when I was about 14 y.o.

* Great White Buffalo*

**when I'd first discovered it**

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Amboy Dukes
" Tooth Fang& Claw"

* my Mother whisked thru my bedroom's closed door, to yank my head from out between the two stereo box speakers I'd cobbled together and had set up on both sides of an 8-track turntable I'd centerpiece on top of my chest of drawers casing-liner when I was about 14 y.o.

* Great White Buffalo*

**when I'd first discovered it**
I haven't heard Great White Buffalo in...I don't even know how long! Been hearing Stranglehold, Cat Scratch Fever, Wang Dang Sweet Poontang, and Wango Tango a bit lately, but not Great White Buffalo. Awesome tune!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:thumbup:
* I had two older sisters growing up& was as such subjecticated to certain tunes such as these early on myself:)

* my sister I used to smoke weed with later on, had just about every Beatles album they put out.
That's good music to listen to in that situation, especially once they hit their psychedelic stride.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had a teacher in 5th grade who played this and explained the meaning behind it, and though she wasn't quite right, it was an important moment for me to realize that artists use metaphors to express their deepest thoughts.......That said, the song never blew me away until I heard Disturbed's rendition of it.
Like that as well and few would take that on and he did an excellent job.

There were two versions of the song released and I made sure I got the second one with the added instrumentation up there. When Simon learned that the producer had added the instrumentation for "The Graduate" he was a little miffed but later said he really liked it and that influenced his adding some instrumentation. He'd always viewed himself as a folk artist more than what he really was, a very good music composer.

I have always wondered if that change in one of his songs was one of the root influences in his future songwriting and how he evolved into full instrumentation on his masterpiece "Graceland" and the much under appreciated "Rhythm of the Saints".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:thumbup:
* I had two older sisters growing up& was as such subjecticated to certain tunes such as these early on myself:)

* my sister I used to smoke weed with later on, had just about every Beatles album they put out.
Melon, imagine being a 16 year old kid in 63 when it began. The British Invasion was the greatest thing to happen to popular music and responsible for the evolution of Rock music. And it not only co-existed with Soul, Motown (Soul for white kids), American Rock and the Beach scene but fleshed it all out, brought everything together and the variety of Rock music was never better. And them Metal showed up at the party and no one wanted to go home.

There are times I wish I were younger but when I look back on being alive at that time and the experiences of hearing these songs for the first time, it was a phenomenal time to be alive and we were at the time of innocence for the Baby Boomers, which was to all change and our world become all too real.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Like that as well and few would take that on and he did an excellent job.

There were two versions of the song released and I made sure I got the second one with the added instrumentation up there. When Simon learned that the producer had added the instrumentation for "The Graduate" he was a little miffed but later said he really liked it and that influenced his adding some instrumentation. He'd always viewed himself as a folk artist more than what he really was, a very good music composer.

I have always wondered if that change in one of his songs was one of the root influences in his future songwriting and how he evolved into full instrumentation on his masterpiece "Graceland" and the much under appreciated "Rhythm of the Saints".
Not familiar with Rhythm of the Saints, but Graceland is a great song. Late in the Evening is my favorite Simon song. One thing about him is that he gives such a variety to his music, along with clever, if not strange lyrics.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Melon, imagine being a 16 year old kid in 63 when it began. The British Invasion was the greatest thing to happen to popular music and responsible for the evolution of Rock music. And it not only co-existed with Soul, Motown (Soul for white kids), American Rock and the Beach scene but fleshed it all out, brought everything together and the variety of Rock music was never better. And them Metal showed up at the party and no one wanted to go home.

There are times I wish I were younger but when I look back on being alive at that time and the experiences of hearing these songs for the first time, it was a phenomenal time to be alive and we were at the time of innocence for the Baby Boomers, which was to all change and our world become all too real.
* Coach, I'd of probably rolled straight over to Vietnam if I was 16 in "63",,, er,,,and more than likely been planted in the ground by now,one way or the other:star:

* ya,Elder Brother, it had to have been an electric vibe coursing thru oneself experiencing that game changer on the music scene when the Beatles broke it wide open:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
* Coach, I'd of probably rolled straight over to Vietnam if I was 16 in "63",,, er,,,and more than likely been planted in the ground by now,one way or the other:star:

* ya,Elder Brother, it had to have been an electric vibe coursing thru oneself experiencing that game changer on the music scene when the Beatles broke it wide open:thumbup:
The Beatles were one thing, we weren't prepared for the others that were on the ships and headed over, it truly was an invasion and we couldn't get enough. And my man, when the ugly boys like the Stones, Animals and Kinks got off that ship, we were in heaven.

We were damned tired of the girls oohing, ahhing and screaming over Paul, Dave Clark and even that twit, Peter Noone. Hell, we hadn't recovered form Elvis, Ricky, the Everly Brothers, Fabian and Frankie and these moptops were stealing our women. Send in the ugly Rockers.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Share the cut from an album that blew your mind when it was first released.

For me, Eruption comes to mind from the first VH album released in 1978. To this day, it is the most memorable album release of my lifetime.

Yep...………….and the guitar solo in Rainbow in the Dark still makes me go "WOW!". Ronniie James Deo album.

Last edited:

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I remember when this came out, after Ozzy starts singing and the main guitar riff hit I thought, Wow, that is really heavy.

Also, this was a comeback album. I loved it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Stanley Jordan's album "Magic Touch" blew my mind. I saw a video of "Lady In My Life" and really liked his cover and bought the album. There was a disclaimer or warning on the album to explain what you were hearing, all guitar sounds were being played by Stanley simultaneously and that there was no overdubbing or production tricks. Listening to that album, there was at least 2 guitars playing and sometimes even a third, no way that was from one guy with one guitar, how can he playing lead and rhythm at the same time? They only showed a few bits of him playing in the video, it wasn't until watching him play on The Tonight Show that I got the full appreciation for what he was doing. I've seen guitarists tap or hammer before, but not to this level, not to that complexity.