Sharp: Top-10 total cash paid last 3 years

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We’re definitely signing him, and I agree it was only 1 year. But Hurts last year was worlds different than Wentz in 2017. Did you know Wentz only completed 60% of his passes that year? Even Hurts in his average year still completed a higher % of passes than Wentz that year, and people said he couldn’t throw. Hard to believe but it’s true.

But also Hurts was on fire in the playoffs. You can discredit the competition, but he still has to pull the trigger. Beat NYG worse than any team beat them all year. Purdy was out so the NFCC game wasn’t competitive, but Hurts still put 31 on the #1 D. And then he went toe to toe with Mahomes.

I agree it’s only 1 year like Wentz, but I don’t agree those 1 years are comparable
Wentz was the MVP favorite when he was injured.
He passed for more yards per game with nearly identical 101 QB Rating to Hurts last year.

Then health issues hurt the OL and the WR corps fell off badly.
Wentz passed for even more yards per game up near 280 but turned it over a lot.
As he was asked to carry the team but he couldn't. Fans and teammates dogpiled him.
And he wilted under that mental pressure.

BUT Howie is largely a clown for doing that to Wentz and he is repeating the cycle with Hurts.
You don't go all in with a year 2/3 QB. Like man what are you doing???
Just goofy stuff tbh.

Hurts is a Texas kid. I like him and hope the Eagles either give him the Mahomes 10-year deal or just trade him.
His value will likely never be higher than right now.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Wentz was the MVP favorite when he was injured.
He passed for more yards per game with nearly identical 101 QB Rating to Hurts last year.

Then health issues hurt the OL and the WR corps fell off badly.
Wentz passed for even more yards per game up near 280 but turned it over a lot.
As he was asked to carry the team but he couldn't. Fans and teammates dogpiled him.
And he wilted under that mental pressure.

BUT Howie is largely a clown for doing that to Wentz and he is repeating the cycle with Hurts.
You don't go all in with a year 2/3 QB. Like man what are you doing???
Just goofy stuff tbh.

Hurts is a Texas kid. I like him and hope the Eagles either give him the Mahomes 10-year deal or just trade him.
His value will likely never be higher than right now.
What do you mean you don’t go all in with a year 2/3 QB?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We lost, but it can be argued at the end of the game Hurts put his team in position to win. When Mahomes was driving, Hurts was answering. We knew the D was folding and he did what he could to compensate. I think we punted once all game, and that fumble was the only turnover.
Yes thats why i say there is always context to a game, its lazy to just blame one play or player.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Let Russ Cook, some people can get mad at Jerry paying Dak , but every time I see the great Russell Wilson’s name nothing good is attached to it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes thats why i say there is always context to a game, its lazy to just blame one play or player.
I think that’s the entire problem with paying QBs this much money. Just as they don’t deserve that much blame, are they really that important to the team? 20+% of the salary cap?

The QB position in itself is important yes, but is Dak Prescott that much better than Brock Purdy AND 4-5 pro bowl caliber players he’s taking the money from?

Unless you have a top 3-5 guy, these contract almost never work out that way. Maybe Jalen is one of the ones worth it, maybe he isn’t. Only one way to find out.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think that’s the entire problem with paying QBs this much money. Just as they don’t deserve that much blame, are they really that important to the team? 20+% of the salary cap?

The QB position in itself is important yes, but is Dak Prescott that much better than Brock Purdy AND 4-5 pro bowl caliber players he’s taking the money from?

Unless you have a top 3-5 guy, these contract almost never work out that way. Maybe Jalen is one of the ones worth it, maybe he isn’t. Only one way to find out.
Completley agree 100% again Mahomes is the best currently but I'm not so sure he lead "A bunch of dogs" to a SB win last year, that roster was pretty damn good.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Completley agree 100% again Mahomes is the best currently but I'm not so sure he lead "A bunch of dogs" to a SB win last year, that roster was pretty damn good.
Every QB needs talent to succeed, Brady, Mahomes, Peyton… people like to omit that Montana had the best rosters in the NFL when he won. Amazing Olines, Roger Craig, best WR who ever lived, Dwight Clark. Joe’s defenses in his 4 SB years:

1981 - 2nd in points 2nd in yards
1984 - 1st in points 10th in yards
1988 - 8th in points 3rd in yards
1989 - 3rd in points 4th in yards

Every QB needs talent to win. But the question is if you put Josh Allen on KC last year, do they even get past Cincy? Jacksonville? Does Herbert? Does Burrow even?

The QB’s ability can counter the difference in talent from one team to the next, as we saw in the SB. That’s the game: what is the advantage your QB gives over the opposition? And how much is that worth really?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Every QB needs talent to succeed, Brady, Mahomes, Peyton… people like to omit that Montana had the best rosters in the NFL when he won. Amazing Olines, Roger Craig, best WR who ever lived, Dwight Clark. Joe’s defenses in his 4 SB years:

1981 - 2nd in points 2nd in yards
1984 - 1st in points 10th in yards
1988 - 8th in points 3rd in yards
1989 - 3rd in points 4th in yards

Every QB needs talent to win. But the question is if you put Josh Allen on KC last year, do they even get past Cincy? Jacksonville? Does Herbert? Does Burrow even?

The QB’s ability can counter the difference in talent from one team to the next, as we saw in the SB. That’s the game: what is the advantage your QB gives over the opposition? And how much is that worth really?
Agree and really right now Mahomes is in a league of his own but its not leaps and bounds past Burrow but things change quick in this league.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Agree and really right now Mahomes is in a league of his own but its not leaps and bounds past Burrow but things change quick in this league.
Yeah, Hurts is below those two, but I really don’t trust Allen so I have JH third. Allen’s turnovers have been crazy the last 2 years, but hurts has grown dramatically in ball security (SB fumble not withstanding)

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yeah, Hurts is below those two, but I really don’t trust Allen so I have JH third. Allen’s turnovers have been crazy the last 2 years, but hurts has grown dramatically in ball security (SB fumble not withstanding)
Last year for sure, the thing about Mahomes is he will be back at it next year, Burrow pretty much did the same 2 years and Allen kinda couldnt keep it going...Hurts has some hurdles in front of him, losing some players and 1st place shcedule, the heat will be turned up a little on him this year so we will see what he is made of.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Last year for sure, the thing about Mahomes is he will be back at it next year, Burrow pretty much did the same 2 years and Allen kinda couldnt keep it going...Hurts has some hurdles in front of him, losing some players and 1st place shcedule, the heat will be turned up a little on him this year so we will see what he is made of.
I think our offense will be better, that won’t impact Jalen, but the W/L may be affected by what the D is