Sharp: Top-10 total cash paid last 3 years

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
This is eerily similar to when I use to argue with Eagles fans and they use to bring up Wentz pretend MVP season he never won just for him to never sniff it again. “MVP caliber” season lol….
Similar, but also different. We’re never going to hear about lockerroom issues or work ethic with Hurts. Also, he himself brought the team to the SB, a stigma that Wentz never really got over

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That adds him to the list. Nearly every QB in the 8-15 ranged as been dropped by the drafting team once they realized he isn’t getting them any closer to competing after taking on huge salary implications.

Derek Carr was dumped, Jared Goff even after making a SB was dumped. Jimmy Garoppolo is on team 3, Watson dumped, Wilson dumped after not even making an NFCCG on his bigger contract, Wentz dumped.

But Dallas will continue paying Dak more and more, expecting things to change as he eats up more of the salary cap. There is a trend going, paying these QBs this much money if they’re not consistently top 5 does not help the team
Oh that’s crap. Watson and Wilson dumped their teams. Both asked to be traded so let’s clear that narrative up.

Carr sucks. Wentz sucks. Jimmy G sucks. Goff got traded but I’d argue that was premature. Goff looks damn good and looks better than Stafford. If Rams knew he would lead the league in interceptions they probably would’ve held out on trading for him.

No one is trading a top 10 QB unless they ask to be traded…

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Similar, but also different. We’re never going to hear about lockerroom issues or work ethic with Hurts. Also, he himself brought the team to the SB, a stigma that Wentz never really got over
Yeah because 70 sacks had nothing to do with the Eagles success last year lol. Eagles fans are something else. Revisionist history is a ***** lol.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Oh that’s crap. Watson and Wilson dumped their teams. Both asked to be traded so let’s clear that narrative up.

Carr sucks. Wentz sucks. Jimmy G sucks. Goff got traded but I’d argue that was premature. Goff looks damn good and looks better than Stafford. If Rams knew he would lead the league in interceptions they probably would’ve held out on trading for him.

No one is trading a top 10 QB unless they ask to be traded…
What defines who sucks and who doesn’t? Cousins has near identical career stats to Dak, but one sucks and one doesn’t?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Do you think the Eagles will pay Hurts? If so is he a QB who can carry a team, legit question, do you think Hurts was the reason that team made it to the SB... not part of it not some of it but the MAIN reason?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What defines who sucks and who doesn’t? Cousins has near identical career stats to Dak, but one sucks and one doesn’t?
I think he sucks due to his choking in prime time and he’s not a consensus top 10 guy but to avoid the argument let’s say he’s good. He also left the Commanders. Commanders wanted to retain him and goofed up. Commanders played a fools game and lost and 7 quarterbacks later they wish they had someone as good.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yeah because 70 sacks had nothing to do with the Eagles success last year lol. Eagles fans are something else. Revisionist history is a ***** lol.
Everything has to do with the eagles success, all facets of the team. But if we don’t have hurts, we’re not winning 15 games, you saw us with Minshew. Dallas then wins the NFC East. Suddenly we have a lesser QB having to play in the first round, then we have to travel to Dallas or to SF with that QB.

70 sacks, our Oline, our CBs, our WRs, it all had major impact on how good we were. But even with that being true, we don’t have nearly the season without Jalen.

The same can’t be said for Dallas without Dak.

Let’s say you didn’t have Dak in 2022 and had another, much cheaper, QB: Goff, Garoppolo. What games in 2022 did you need Dak to carry the team across the finish line? Philly Christmas Eve, almost lost to backup Minshew, probably do lose if you don’t have Dak. Any others? Maybe the Texans game? The rest of the schedule went pretty straightforward as the defense dictated. You’re an 11-6 or 10-7 team instead of 12-5. That’s still the 4 seed. You still get a team in the first round who couldn’t win as many games as they lost. Of course you don’t blow them out as badly, but Goff would still win that game comfortably with Dallas’s roster. And then the ride stops there.

2021, 12-5 again. But you won the division by 3.5 games. Many QBs could have gone 10-7 or 9-8 with the Philly tiebreaker and accomplished the same. I’m pretty sure you could have found some QBs to lose to SF in the first round too.

What concrete return has Dallas gotten out of paying Dak all that money? Kellen Moore’s pretty #1 offenses and sleep number commercials? It’s the same situation, do we expect the team to improve as Dak eats up more and more of the cap? Doesn’t mean he’s not a top 10 QB, just the reality of the business

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Do you think the Eagles will pay Hurts? If so is he a QB who can carry a team, legit question, do you think Hurts was the reason that team made it to the SB... not part of it not some of it but the MAIN reason?
Yes. Carry is a complicated question, as no QB can carry a mediocre team as we saw with Brady this year. But on a talented roster we can get further with Hurts than we could with every NFL QB not named Burrow and Mahomes.

Hurts was a reason we made it, and we definitely don’t get close without him. Doesn’t mean he’s not leaning on talent; Not dissimilar to Mahomes, he doesn’t get out of the second round without his Oline. No QB is an island. What would Philadelphia have been in 2022 without Hurts? 11-6, out in the second round?

But the luxury of Roseman is we’re all very well aware he’s fully prepared to eat that dead cap if he feels Hurts is no longer worth the sticker price.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes. Carry is a complicated question, as no QB can carry a mediocre team as we saw with Brady this year. But on a talented roster we can get further with Hurts than we could with every NFL QB not named Burrow and Mahomes.

Hurts was a reason we made it, and we definitely don’t get close without him. Not dissimilar to Mahomes, he doesn’t get out of the second round without his Oline. No QB is an island. What would Philadelphia have been in 2022 without Hurts? 11-6, out in the second round?

But the luxury of Roseman is we’re all very well aware he’s fully prepared to eat that dead cap if he feels Hurts is no longer worth the sticker price.
We shall see, I think you guys had a pretty loaded Roster and lost some pieces, add in a 1st place schedule and plenty of film on the run scheme...we will see how it goes.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
We shall see, I think you guys had a pretty loaded Roster and lost some pieces, add in a 1st place schedule and plenty of film on the run scheme...we will see how it goes.
Full disclosure, I like Hurts a lot, but I’m not a hurts fan. I’m an eagles fan. If he turns out to not be 50m$ worth of team success, then I’ll be more than happy to trade him and start anew. A year too early better than a year too late

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Everything has to do with the eagles success, all facets of the team. But if we don’t have hurts, we’re not winning 15 games, you saw us with Minshew. Dallas then wins the NFC East. Suddenly we have a lesser QB having to play in the first round, then we have to travel to Dallas or to SF with that QB.

70 sacks, our Oline, our CBs, our WRs, it all had major impact on how good we were. But even with that being true, we don’t have nearly the season without Jalen.

The same can’t be said for Dallas without Dak.

Let’s say you didn’t have Dak in 2022 and had another, much cheaper, QB: Goff, Garoppolo. What games in 2022 did you need Dak to carry the team across the finish line? Philly Christmas Eve, almost lost to backup Minshew, probably do lose if you don’t have Dak. Any others? Maybe the Texans game? The rest of the schedule went pretty straightforward as the defense dictated. You’re an 11-6 or 10-7 team instead of 12-5. That’s still the 4 seed. You still get a team in the first round who couldn’t win as many games as they lost. Of course you don’t blow them out as badly, but Goff would still win that game comfortably with Dallas’s roster. And then the ride stops there.

2021, 12-5 again. But you won the division by 3.5 games. Many QBs could have gone 10-7 or 9-8 with the Philly tiebreaker and accomplished the same. I’m pretty sure you could have found some QBs to lose to SF in the first round too.

What concrete return has Dallas gotten out of paying Dak all that money? Kellen Moore’s pretty #1 offenses and sleep number commercials? It’s the same situation, do we expect the team to improve as Dak eats up more and more of the cap? Doesn’t mean he’s not a top 10 QB, just the reality of the business
You only played two games without Hurts lol. Minshew lit our defense up with no problem. That 355 yards was the second most passing yards y’all had and still almost beat us lol. Dak was clear why we won.

Interesting argument though especially since Hurts benefits from a great supporting cast….

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Full disclosure, I like Hurts a lot, but I’m not a hurts fan. I’m an eagles fan. If he turns out to not be 50m$ worth of team success, then I’ll be more than happy to trade him and start anew. A year too early better than a year too late
Dont get caught up in the boards Dak war..if you notice its a few very vocal guys from each side...everyone else is the same as you, Dak is fine but if we can make the team better I wouldn't miss him a bit.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s insane. He will never be worth 50 million. But the objective is to win. And if they are winning with Hurts and he’s their leader why on earth would you trade him?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You only played two games without Hurts lol. Minshew lit our defense up with no problem. That 355 yards was the second most passing yards y’all had and still almost beat us lol. Dak was clear why we won.

Interesting argument though especially since Hurts benefits from a great supporting cast….
We still lost on Minshew’s turnovers. And then he laid an egg the next game against a losing team.

Everyone benefits from great supporting cast. Rodgers doesn’t make the playoffs with a worse team after multiple NFCCG appearances. Without his all pro Oline, Mahomes doesn’t make it out of the second round against Jacksonville, a 1 possession game

QBs elevate teams to wins, but they aren’t the whole team

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That’s insane. He will never be worth 50 million. But the objective is to win. And if they are winning with Hurts and he’s their leader why on earth would you trade him?
Key component of that sentence is “if”. Wentz wasn’t, so we dropped him. Signing Hurts will eventually mean we have to cut back on 50m$ in talent elsewhere. May be a profitable venture, may not

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Hurts was a reason we made it, and we definitely don’t get close without him. Doesn’t mean he’s not leaning on talent; Not dissimilar to Mahomes, he doesn’t get out of the second round without his Oline. No QB is an island. What would Philadelphia have been in 2022 without Hurts? 11-6, out in the second round?

Hurts last year wasn't all that unlike Wentz year 2.
I'd think Philly fans had learned some things.

Hurts was a league average level guy in 2021, after a 1-3 rookie stretch that was uninspiring.
He has 1 Pro Bowl (level season) to his credit.

He was great last year, but it was 1 year.
He absolutely had the plus OL, plus WR corps, plus defense that can create one-year aberrations.
Doesn't mean he won't excel going forward and a lot of that talent comes back for the Eagles.
They should be excited.
But they should also be aware.
Late in the regular season with people out resting dings the Eagles very not at all great.
And last year they played a bottom 3 schedule.
They still haven't had much success versus Dak-led Dallas teams.
Jalen seems a great guy and good player.
Is he worth 50MM AAV though?
Philly has to decide and they better decide fast because it's nearly impossible to add void years and other stuff to QB deals if you don't extend them early.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dont get caught up in the boards Dak war..if you notice its a few very vocal guys from each side...everyone else is the same as you, Dak is fine but if we can make the team better I wouldn't miss him a bit.
If you can do better than Dak then I’m for it I just have no faith in this offense to better or even as good. We were very close to having Paxton Lynch and that’s scary.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hurts last year wasn't all that unlike Wentz year 2.
I'd think Philly fans had learned some things.

Hurts was a league average level guy in 2021, after a 1-3 rookie stretch that was uninspiring.
He has 1 Pro Bowl (level season) to his credit.

He was great last year, but it was 1 year.
He absolutely had the plus OL, plus WR corps, plus defense that can create one-year aberrations.
Doesn't mean he won't excel going forward and a lot of that talent comes back for the Eagles.
They should be excited.
But they should also be aware.
Late in the regular season with people out resting dings the Eagles very not at all great.
And last year they played a bottom 3 schedule.
They still haven't had much success versus Dak-led Dallas teams.
Jalen seems a great guy and good player.
Is he worth 50MM AAV though?
Philly has to decide and they better decide fast because it's nearly impossible to add void years and other stuff to QB deals if you don't extend them early.
This is why I say it sounds eerily similar lol….literally use to argue me down about Wentz….it’s damn near identical to Hurts.

offlimits

Reaction score
I hate overpaying for any QB.

This is what happens when Jerry & Son don't draft a QB prodigy every 3-4 years, even if a mid-round pick. You're forced to overpay.
Agree. This draft has some really good QBs past the first round. I am going to scream if they do not draft a QB that they like in the 3-4th round.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wow such big results. 1 playoff win in that span.
But yea, really dispelled that myth.

Not to mention I wasn't singling out Prescott. The top 3 haven't done jack for postseason success.
Only Brady has then you go back to Tannehill ...
Stafford and Brady delivered
That's about it