Shawn Oakman found not guilty. Would you give him a chance?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt Shawn Oakman is good enough as a player to warrant an NFL contract, rape or no rape. :thumbdown:

Like someone here suggested, perhaps the AAF would see fit to welcome him into their league?

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Lewis was never accused of anything as awful as rape. His was a DV case in which it turned out he hit his girlfriend with a pillow. Give Lewis some props- if you get mad enough at somebody to throw something, he picked the perfect object.

Keep in mind that just because someone is found not guilty does not mean they are found innocent. It could just mean there is not enough evidence to convict. A case like this is very hard to convict since it's a he said she said.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Don't know his story. Was he charged with rape and acquitted or was there insufficient evidence to charge? Will say I've had enough of first class D-bags like Hardy and Irving. Is he so great that we would over look allegations or charges of rape? On second thought, no there must be players who are as good as this guy without the baggage. I'll leave it up to the experts to decide

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
When I read Shawn Oakman, my thoughts went straight to Shawn Merriman. We dang near took him over Ware. Imagine if we had? No records broken, no HOF star, no ring of honor, just things to ponder.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
yup. jourdan lewis was falsely accused of domestic violence. he was a first round talent. probably our 2nd best corner on the team.
Naw, this ain't it.

Oakman has a FULL history of terrible behavior.
He's been through a lot and SOME of it may have been pile on stuff but his history is really not in dispute.

There's also the fact he wasn't that great in college and hasn't played in 4 years.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd rather have him if he had a drug problem. Druggie players have worked out good for us in the past..

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Naw, this ain't it.

Oakman has a FULL history of terrible behavior.
He's been through a lot and SOME of it may have been pile on stuff but his history is really not in dispute.

There's also the fact he wasn't that great in college and hasn't played in 4 years.
It's not like the team has a squeaky clean image we are trying to maintain. If the value is there I say pull the trigger.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Former Baylor standout defensive end Shawn Oakman was found not guilty today of rape.

Would you take a chance on him given our need at DE?

I always thought he was too stiff (yes I know) and overhyped anyway. But I'd love to hear what y'all think about this.
What could possibly go wrong?
My guess, the Raiders or the Saints.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Former Baylor standout defensive end Shawn Oakman was found not guilty today of rape.

Would you take a chance on him given our need at DE?

I always thought he was too stiff (yes I know) and overhyped anyway. But I'd love to hear what y'all think about this.

Only if we can get him in a package deal with Briles.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lewis was never accused of anything as awful as rape. His was a DV case in which it turned out he hit his girlfriend with a pillow. Give Lewis some props- if you get mad enough at somebody to throw something, he picked the perfect object.

A pillow. Hmmm. Thanks!

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
It's a shame he was caught up in what appears to be a lie. Glad he was acquitted.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's not like the team has a squeaky clean image we are trying to maintain. If the value is there I say pull the trigger.
This isn't that.
This isn't a little bit of 'tude or one sexual assault case.
He was kicked out of Penn St before Baylor touched him.
He assaulted a former GF, and had charges for basically bullying a gas station attendant into giving him free stuff. Theft of a measly 7 bucks through coercion.

Not the kind of dude you want wearing the star.

But again he hasn't proven he can play football in 3 years.
Maybe he can join an AAF or XFL club and prove something.

He had a rather meh 4.5 sacks in his last year at Baylor way back in 2015.
His break out year was 2014. So 5 years removed from that type of football and 3 years from any type of football.
For a guy that weighed 280+ that is a long lay off to get a body ready for a contact sport.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ditto, looked like Tarzan played like Jane.
Agree!
Oakman is like Irvin except more hype than production. Physical freak but never impressed me in games. Look like Tarzan play like Jane. Lot of his big plays were garbage.
Add in the fact he’s probably a thug and idiot...pass.
Although maybe he is a RKG like JG likes the way Wilson, Dez, Gregory, TW, and Irvin were...
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

How did he get 11 sks his first year (2014) as a starter?

HungryLion

Reaction score
No. Oakman was never that good anyway. He was just tall and intrigued people because of his height.

No thsnks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's a shame he was caught up in what appears to be a lie. Glad he was acquitted.
LOL what?
That is not the what was proven at all.

He ended up in a he said, she said about a sexual assault case.
She definitely liked him and was interested up to some point. She never denied that.
She says she indicated she didn't wanna have sex and was too drunk to fully resist and he took advantage and sexually injured her.
The injuries were confirmed by medical personnel.
Witnesses appeared who had never been known of before trial saying they were there but didn't hear any resistance but also never saw the woman at all.

Basically this guy has his buddies defend him and she has no one to back her.
But suggesting she lied is definitely a stretch.

The trial was also in Waco where Baylor rules the land and the city/school has/had a vested interest in his innocence.

End of the day his trial team did there job and he was acquitted but canyon thinking this is a railroading is likely insane.

If something like this happens to one of my daughters there won't be a trial for the dude.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This isn't that.
This isn't a little bit of 'tude or one sexual assault case.
He was kicked out of Penn St before Baylor touched him.
He assaulted a former GF, and had charges for basically bullying a gas station attendant into giving him free stuff. Theft of a measly 7 bucks through coercion.

Not the kind of dude you want wearing the star.

But again he hasn't proven he can play football in 3 years.
Maybe he can join an AAF or XFL club and prove something.

He had a rather meh 4.5 sacks in his last year at Baylor way back in 2015.
His break out year was 2014. So 5 years removed from that type of football and 3 years from any type of football.
For a guy that weighed 280+ that is a long lay off to get a body ready for a contact sport.
Do you think I care about stupid things he did as a college kid. Did he ever serve jail time? If you bring him in undrafted or 7th round pick just for the chance at the upside who cares. It's when you spend premium picks and money like a randy gregory that it really stings.