Shazam! Movie

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I love the movie Big so that excites me. I will definitely check it out!! I totally forgot about Zachary Levi. Haven't really seen him in much since Chuck.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember watching Shazam as a kid during the Saturday morning cartoons. I liked the show back then but obviously it was more way more serious than this movie appears to be. I don't know, I think I want to see this just because it's a different "super hero" movie. I guess because I look back fondly on the old Batman TV series and the movie.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I remember watching Shazam as a kid during the Saturday morning cartoons. I liked the show back then but obviously it was more way more serious than this movie appears to be. I don't know, I think I want to see this just because it's a different "super hero" movie. I guess because I look back fondly on the old Batman TV series and the movie.

The last Shazam episode (with Isis) was filmed in my hometown (Moorpark theater is in the episode btw), and the scenes at the railroad tracks filmed near my home. I saw the white shazam motorhome, etc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? I always thought of Shazam as a kid's show hero.
You are not alone but any comic book character you see on the big or small screen originates from the comics books. That is where my perspective of every character comes from.

Not to say all comic book source material is beyond reproach in my opinion. The Comics Code Authority neutered character representation, particularly in the 1950's and 1960's, that (in its own way) helped spawn cornball depictions in television series like 60's Batman and 70's Saturday mornings Super Friends for example. Even Tim Burton was somewhat influenced in the same fashion bringing Bruce Wayne to the big screen by the late 80's.

Time has a way of correcting nonsense. Publishers slowly began easing away from almost two decades of goofy and drifting back to serious character depiction starting in the mid/late 70's. Writers and artists recaptured the essense of old characters while introducing fresh unfettered characters reflecting (then) current times.

I like to think I share their same perspective of character representation. Certainly, characters can have many facets of personality but they are drawn and presented usually in a way mirroring real people in a fantastical sense. The Shazam trailers are not giving me the same vibe. They remind me of Big. It would be a real turn off for me if it followed the lines of Greatest American Hero, which I loved for its opening theme and disliked for its disfunctional super suit use.

The Saturday morning show you spoke of was written with both adolescents AND young adults in mind. Episodic material was not that complex in nature but the central dual character was not played as a childish idiot. It does not please me that the big screen version of the character will get the idiot treatment. Then again, I am but one person in an audience that may draw millions around the world. And I will likely wait to see a good copy of the movie on the firestick down the road instead of shelling out bucks now that I might regret. :p