Shazam! Movie

CashMan

Reaction score
went to an early showing this weekend with my son. we both liked it. he liked it better than CPT Marvel.

Captain Marvel is one of the bottom 5 Marvel movies, next to Hulk, the 2 Thor movies, and Dr. Strange.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Captain Marvel is one of the bottom 5 Marvel movies, next to Hulk, the 2 Thor movies, and Dr. Strange.
There have been two Hulk and three Thor Marvel films. Are you referring to the MCU Hulk and final two Thor movies? In your opinion, how do Howard The Duck, Elektra, the last Fantastic Four and both Ghost Rider Marvel movies compare to your five choices?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There have been two Hulk and three Thor Marvel films. Are you referring to the MCU Hulk and final two Thor movies? In your opinion, how do Howard The Duck, Elektra, the last Fantastic Four and both Ghost Rider Marvel movies compare to your five choices?
Howard the Duck? You mean the one from the 80's, or is there a more current version?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Howard the Duck? You mean the one from the 80's, or is there a more current version?
My first reaction when I read that was "OMG! They made ANOTHER one??????" :laugh:Yes. It is the one from the 80's. The only other thing done with the character since then was the post credits scene at the end of the first Guardians of the Galaxy film, which, to borrow one of @stasheroo 's phrases, left me feeling very underwhelmed from an otherwise very good overall movie experience. I have read Howard made a cameo in the second Guardians movie but I must have found it completely forgettable or my mind totally blocked it from my perception. And that is after watching the sequel multiple times. :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My first reaction when I read that was "OMG! They made ANOTHER one??????" :laugh:Yes. It is the one from the 80's. The only other thing done with the character since then was the post credits scene at the end of the first Guardians of the Galaxy film, which, to borrow one of @stasheroo 's phrases, left me feeling very underwhelmed from an otherwise very good overall movie experience. I have read Howard made a cameo in the second Guardians movie but I must have found it completely forgettable or my mind totally blocked it from my perception. And that is after watching the sequel multiple times. :muttley:
I don't remember seeing him in the sequel either. Maybe he was way in background somewhere, doing a Where's Waldo. Honestly, if I never see him again, I can live with that.

John813

Reaction score

IMO Dr. Strange is better than bottom 5, but no argument on the first two thor movies and any relatively recent hulk movie

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember seeing him in the sequel either. Maybe he was way in background somewhere, doing a Where's Waldo. Honestly, if I never see him again, I can live with that.
:hammer:Peter Porker was done far better in the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse animated movie. Most major comic book publishers have tons of characters to choose from. In my opinion, Marvel should not have pulled Howard The Duck from its vault. Ever.

CashMan

Reaction score

There are characters in the MCU that can not hold a movie by themselves. Thor, Hulk, Dr. Strange come to mind. The 1st 2 Thor Movies were not good, but Ragnarok was pure gold! The Edward Norton Hulk movie was pretty bad.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are characters in the MCU that can not hold a movie by themselves. Thor, Hulk, Dr. Strange come to mind. The 1st 2 Thor Movies were not good, but Ragnarok was pure gold! The Edward Norton Hulk movie was pretty bad.
Thanks. It was more about the MCU movies than the overall Marvel movies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It took me a few watches to appreciate it.
Both were very good and I liked how Waititi directed Ragnorak.
I may slot Ragnarok above it cause I liked Hela and Thor realizing what power he truly had.
Cate Blanchett was my personal highlight from the third movie. I thought her Hela was a great take on her part. Lightning Thor was pretty good too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't consider the movies you're listing here as actual "Marvel movies".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't consider the movies you're listing here as actual "Marvel movies".
I can see that point-of-view. All but Howard The Duck were co-produced by Marvel Entertainment and not by Marvel Studios. Howard was the Rosemary's Baby offspring of Universal Studios and Lucasfilm.

Everyone will understandably not share my perspective but I consider any long-standing creative property of a comic book publisher as Marvel, DC, etc. regardless of the production company or particular era the character appeared on-screen. Universal Television 1970's The Incredible Hulk series is an example.

Stan Lee might not have agreed with my list though. He never had a cameo in any of five I listed lol. :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can see that point-of-view. All but Howard The Duck were co-produced by Marvel Entertainment and not by Marvel Studios. Howard was the Rosemary's Baby offspring of Universal Studios and Lucasfilm.

Everyone will understandably not share my perspective but I consider any long-standing creative property of a comic book publisher as Marvel, DC, etc. regardless of the production company or particular era the character appeared on-screen. Universal Television 1970's The Incredible Hulk series is an example.

Stan Lee might not have agreed with my list though. He never had a cameo in any of five I listed lol. :muttley:
Funny you mentioned the Hulk series. I was just thinking that the formula for that worked better than the movies. More about Banner, less about the Hulk.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I consider everything pre Iron Man I and Incredible Hulk to be irrelevant to the MCU of today. The Marvel of that era bears no resemblance to the Marvel of today, so I think it holds no weight in terms of any comparisons. And that goes double for the films. I don't hold Marvel proper responsible for terrible films made by Fox or Sony or anyone else when they had the rights to the characters.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny you mentioned the Hulk series. I was just thinking that the formula for that worked better than the movies. More about Banner, less about the Hulk.
oh. You are about to stir up my hornet's nest sir! :laugh:

I loved Bill Bixby version of The Fugitive. It was the perfect role for a remake of The Fugitive. However, the Dr. Banner/Hulk dynamic was always a Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde based storyline. In my opinion, too much emphasis was placed on Banner and too little emphasis was put on Hulk. The series should have been more 50/50 in nature of the dual character. Add the fact that 1970's special effects were both intentionally not emphasized and funded (gosh/that incredibly strong monster is having difficulty lifting the front end of that Pinto/awesome) and the series engendered a love/hate relationship within me.

This convo takes me back to my youth. Few people know just how frustrated the Hulk and Wonder Woman series made this particular comic book geek back in the day. :p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
oh. You are about to stir up my hornet's nest sir! :laugh:

I loved Bill Bixby version of The Fugitive. It was the perfect role for a remake of The Fugitive. However, the Dr. Banner/Hulk dynamic was always a Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde based storyline. In my opinion, too much emphasis was placed on Banner and too little emphasis was put on Hulk. The series should have been more 50/50 in nature of the dual character. Add the fact that 1970's special effects were both intentionally not emphasized and funded (gosh/that incredibly strong monster is having difficulty lifting the front end of that Pinto/awesome) and the series engendered a love/hate relationship within me.

This convo takes me back to my youth. Few people know just how frustrated the Hulk and Wonder Woman series made this particular comic book geek back in the day. :p
Sorry

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I consider everything pre Iron Man I and Incredible Hulk to be irrelevant to the MCU of today. The Marvel of that era bears no resemblance to the Marvel of today, so I think it holds no weight in terms of any comparisons. And that goes double for the films. I don't hold Marvel proper responsible for terrible films made by Fox or Sony or anyone else when they had the rights to the characters.
Thought so. :D

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dunno, I always thought the trailer was supposed to make me want to watch the movie. Think they saved the best parts for the actual movie?