Shocking Details on Mahomes Contract and Impact on Dak, Cowboys

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dak will most likely get tagged again and thats the best thing to do. Never know after injuries like that. I'm sure they want him long term but want to see how he rovers and plays. if not there's not poiny in even tagging him unless its to trade him.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
What is shocking about #4?

What is shocking about #1? Mahomes is still on his rookie contract, Dak isn't.

Shock #2. You need to check the contract details at the bottom.

I didn't check the shocker that is #3. I'll take your word for it. But by that time he'll have enough money that we'll probably not see him going to the unemployment office.

Seems like you are just being argumentative. Its pretty obvious that the Chiefs were very prudent in the deal they signed with Mahomes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We are all butt-weary of talking Dak's contract. This household sure is. I just want to enjoy sports w/out the fuss. But money dictates a lot of sports success, whether we like it or not.

For your “dining pleasure” here are some surprising facts about Patrick Mahomes’ contract. KC's GM is truly a financial wizard. This kind of data absolutely impacts other QBs, including Mr. Prescott.

Shock #1
In 2020:
Mahomes made 10.8 million (cap dollars)
Prescott made 31.4 million (cap dollars)

Shock #2
If the Chiefs (for whatever reason) decide to move on from Mahomes after 2024, Patrick will have ‘only’ earned 34.5 million per year, and there will be ZERO dead cap. Chiefs will owe Patrick nada-zip-zero at that point.

Shock #3
Only in 2025, when Mahomes is 30, does serious money kick in, and *none* of that +30 money is guaranteed. So if Mahomes has a debilitating injury, has surprisingly declined, or the NFL salary cap hasn't risen dramatically as expected--the Chiefs can say, "We have eternal gratitude, but...."

Shock #4
If NFL revenues expand and Mahomes continues to thrive the Chiefs have total contractual control to keep Mahomes as a Chief...year by year... until Patrick is age 37. (Re-negotiation likely at some point if Chiefs desire)

Doubt it?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

I want Dak as a Cowboy, but *only* under terms that won't cripple the team. If Dak's agent wants $35 mil per year, I say: pound sand.
mahomes signed a new contract and got a nice large bonus before his contract ended. that was smart on KC's part to give him a contract to ensure they keep him.....so that explains Shock #1.....

he got 140M in gauarantees. so if he leaves in 2024, he would have gotten 140M+....that's a bargain...and I bet those are the numbers everyone looks at for contract negotiation. the total/average is meaningless unless you look at the breakdown like you did. Deshan Watson gets 144 through 2024. so we can expect Dak's to be similarly done and not the $40M everyone keeps clamouring about......

given the length of the contract for mahomes, even if he stayed and would be below market, he has a gauarantee of 500M or he gets out and makes more.....that's boat load of money....but he gauaranteed himself 140M while still under his old contract

T-RO

Reaction score
Mahomes signed a very stupid and foolish contract.....

How is that? I'd far rather be Tom Brady than the quarterbacks who made more.

Life is more than pinching every ounce of blood out of a turnip. You share wealth with your teammates and enjoy greater success.

Flamma

Reaction score
Seems like you are just being argumentative. Its pretty obvious that the Chiefs were very prudent in the deal they signed with Mahomes.

Here's the thing. I notice a lot of people don't know, or have trouble understanding contract extensions. What is so impressive about the Mahomes extension? Since the comparison is being made to Dak, Dak could get 4 years at 40 mil per and wouldn't have the cap hit that Patrick has over the first 3 years of his contract.

Keep in mind that Patrick's extension doesn't start until 2022. He still has to play out his 4th year (2020) and 5th year option of his rookie deal. What he signed takes place in 2022 and beyond, and I don't see a bargain, sorry. He's in the 40s with cap hit most of the time. Maybe the salary cap will rise enough by the 7th or 8th year of his extension to where you could call his deal a bargain, or team friendly. But for most of his extension he'll be playing at or around 15% of the cap or higher.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak will most likely get tagged again and thats the best thing to do. Never know after injuries like that. I'm sure they want him long term but want to see how he rovers and plays.

Here's the thing: tag him again and he'll be a free agent in 2022 because a 3rd tag would be around $54 million - not going to happen.

Makes no difference to me because I think this team is screwed either way. They won't be able to build a champion around his contract, and if they let him walk we'll draft the next Quincy Carter, Johnny Manziel, or Paxton Lynch.

Motorola

Reaction score
Here's the thing. I notice a lot of people don't know, or have trouble understanding contract extensions. What is so impressive about the Mahomes extension? Since the comparison is being made to Dak, Dak could get 4 years at 40 mil per and wouldn't have the cap hit that Patrick has over the first 3 years of his contract.

Keep in mind that Patrick's extension doesn't start until 2022. He still has to play out his 4th year (2020) and 5th year option of his rookie deal. What he signed takes place in 2022 and beyond, and I don't see a bargain, sorry. He's in the 40s with cap hit most of the time. Maybe the salary cap will rise enough by the 7th or 8th year of his extension to where you could call his deal a bargain, or team friendly. But for most of his extension he'll be playing at or around 15% of the cap or higher.
If K.C. wins a couple more NFL titles over the next 4-5 years, the Chiefs franchise and fan base will consider it money well spent.

Flamma

Reaction score
If K.C. wins a couple more NFL titles over the next 4-5 years, the Chiefs franchise and fan base will consider it money well spent.

Sure. But the money isn't being spend in 2020 or 2021. We'll see how many they win from 2022 and beyond. Where the money is being spent.

Proof

Reaction score
What is shocking about #4?

What is shocking about #1? Mahomes is still on his rookie contract, Dak isn't.

Shock #2. You need to check the contract details at the bottom.

I didn't check the shocker that is #3. I'll take your word for it. But by that time he'll have enough money that we'll probably not see him going to the unemployment office.

not to mention the 63 gtd at signing lol. Fairly easy to make years whatever you want if you give a ton of money up front

Motorola

Reaction score
Sure. But the money isn't being spend in 2020 or 2021. We'll see how many they win from 2022 and beyond. Where the money is being spent.
When I put out the 'couple of titles in 4-5 seasons' statement - I wasn't thinking long-term = beyond 2022.
Chiefs do back-to-back titles '19 & '20; the FO will \ should go all out to maintain a team to close out 2021 with a three-peat.
The Chiefs fan base will look at any title won in 2022 and beyond as gravy.

Flamma

Reaction score
When I put out the 'couple of titles in 4-5 seasons' statement - I wasn't thinking long-term = beyond 2022.
Chiefs do back-to-back titles '19 & '20; then persevere to close out 2021 for a three-peat....the Chiefs fan base will look at any title won in 2022 and beyond as gravy.

Ok, but you said money well spent. Patrick would be on the Chiefs in 2019, '20, and '21 whether or not he signed an extension. Those years have nothing to do with the contract extension he signed.

HanD

Reaction score

Life is more than pinching every ounce of blood out of a turnip. You share wealth with your teammates and enjoy greater success.
You mean like when brady signed the largest contract in the nfl? Revisionist history is the only one that looks at his later contracts which he took a discount after years of playing, winning and marrying a woman richer than he is.

Motorola

Reaction score
Ok, but you said money well spent. Patrick would be on the Chiefs in 2019, '20, and '21 whether or not he signed an extension. Those years have nothing to do with the contract extension he signed.
You're cocentrating on Mahomes contract in its entirety with regards to the money and years.
My opinion is that if the Chiefs become NFL Champions two more times over the next 5 seasons -- the consequences - Mahomes' $alary hits each season, depleted roster, cap problems --a'll of that will be a tolerable sacrifice to most of those fans.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Its stupid because he has no security.

And I'd much rather have Mahomes pinch every once of blood out of a turnip then the likes of Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens taking up 13% of my salary cap.

T-RO

Reaction score
Its stupid because he has no security.

Worst case scenario he walks away from the NFL with $60 mil+. And he eats free in Kansas City the rest of his life. I wish I had so little security.

Section446

Reaction score
Dam needs to just go waste away in Jacksonville or something, it's time to move on.

BigWillie

Reaction score
You want to talk guarantees?

Zeke got $50 mil guaranteed, nearly as much. And he's just a running back. For comparison Matt Ryan got $100 mil guaranteed and that contract was back in 2018.

Mahomes is the best player at the most premium position in the sport.

Again, no.

Zeke received $28 million just for putting his name to paper. Mahomes received $63 million.

Over the entirety of the contract, Zeke is guaranteed a total of $50 million. Over the entirety of Mahomes contract, he is guaranteed $141 million.

There is pen to paper money, and then guaranteed money that comes in later years of the contract. They are not the same.

T-RO

Reaction score
guaranteed money that comes in later years of the contract

You are correct in what you are saying, but it does not contradict the guarantees in play at the initiation and early phase of the contract.