Shocking Details on Mahomes Contract and Impact on Dak, Cowboys

T-RO

Reaction score
Dam needs to just go waste away in Jacksonville or something, it's time to move on.

That would very much disappoint me. I want Dak here winning championships.

The way that happens is for him to accept a contract that makes him insanely rich, but *also* permits teammates to make their money in Dallas.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Ignorance must be bliss.

Read the details, 2025 is guaranteed on 3rd league day of 2023. So they can't get out in 2024 or 2025 scott free. Each year he stays adds more guarantees.

It's a unique contract for sure, but Mahomes will get his money.

BigWillie

Reaction score
You are correct in what you are saying, but it does not contradict the guarantees in play at the initiation and early phase of the contract.

un-muchacho-haciendo-matematicas.gif

T-RO

Reaction score

LOL. It's really simple. Like Apple Computers and Pi. Or Apple Pies. You decide.

Does Dak want to eat it all..or share slices with his friends? There is a path to success and happiness.

T-RO

Reaction score
Ultimately it will come down to whom Dak listens to...his agents or what his mother told him. People like Jerry Jones lost their soul long time 'go. Agents too, and 99% of the world. Gotta decide who you are.

Me? I'd find it a curse to be Jerruh, his son...or those chasing his dream.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Worst case scenario he walks away from the NFL with $60 mil+. And he eats free in Kansas City the rest of his life. I wish I had so little security.
That sounds great for you but he’s making the Chiefs far more than 60 million....but sure he gets a free Big Mac that’s a equal trade off lol....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL. It's really simple. Like Apple Computers and Pi. Or Apple Pies. You decide.

Does Dak want to eat it all..or share slices with his friends? There is a path to success and happiness.
What did his friends share though? Not a damn thing they ate all the scraps now it’s time doe Dak to sacrifice what no one in Cowboys history has lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We are all butt-weary of talking Dak's contract. This household sure is. I just want to enjoy sports w/out the fuss. But money dictates a lot of sports success, whether we like it or not.

For your “dining pleasure” here are some surprising facts about Patrick Mahomes’ contract. KC's GM is truly a financial wizard. This kind of data absolutely impacts other QBs, including Mr. Prescott.

Shock #1
In 2020:
Mahomes made 10.8 million (cap dollars)
Prescott made 31.4 million (cap dollars)

Shock #2
If the Chiefs (for whatever reason) decide to move on from Mahomes after 2024, Patrick will have ‘only’ earned 34.5 million per year, and there will be ZERO dead cap. Chiefs will owe Patrick nada-zip-zero at that point.

Shock #3
Only in 2025, when Mahomes is 30, does serious money kick in, and *none* of that +30 money is guaranteed. So if Mahomes has a debilitating injury, has surprisingly declined, or the NFL salary cap hasn't risen dramatically as expected--the Chiefs can say, "We have eternal gratitude, but...."

Shock #4
If NFL revenues expand and Mahomes continues to thrive the Chiefs have total contractual control to keep Mahomes as a Chief...year by year... until Patrick is age 37. (Re-negotiation likely at some point if Chiefs desire)

Doubt it?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

I want Dak as a Cowboy, but *only* under terms that won't cripple the team. If Dak's agent wants $35 mil per year, I say: pound sand.

which is why Dallas was looking at 5 years as opposed to 4. How a contract is structured can allow a team to manage a big contract and be able to free up space to retain or sign other player. The franchise tag is one lump sum you have to contend with within a season. Right now hoping they can get a deal done early on so the team has a clearer picture of how to deal with the rest of the off-season as in FA

Doomsday101

Reaction score
yep, dak is another mahomes. lmao in what universe?

No one is saying he is another mahomes. The op was talking about how the Mahomes deal is structure. Mahomes they say avg 40 mill a year yet when you break down the contract year by year he is not getting 40 mill each year nor did he get 40 mill this past season. The deal clearly is big but how you structure it can free up space in a given year not to mention Mahomes deal will likely be restructured down the road again to free up cap space. On franchise deal there is no room, it is one lump sum hitting all at once. I fully believe Dallas will get a deal done at some point for Dak and how they go about it and how it is structured really will determine what this team can do in terms of FA and retaining players they want to keep.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
No one is saying he is another mahomes. The op was talking about how the Mahomes deal is structure. Mahomes they say avg 40 mill a year yet when you break down the contract year by year he is not getting 40 mill each year nor did he get 40 mill this past season. The deal clearly is big but how you structure it can free up space in a given year not to mention Mahomes deal will likely be restructured down the road again to free up cap space. On franchise deal there is no room, it is one lump sum hitting all at once. I fully believe Dallas will get a deal done at some point for Dak and how they go about it and how it is structured really will determine what this team can do in terms of FA and retaining players they want to keep.
but super stats prescott wants 40 per year and isn't even close to Mahomes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What is shocking about #4?

What is shocking about #1? Mahomes is still on his rookie contract, Dak isn't.

Shock #2. You need to check the contract details at the bottom.

I didn't check the shocker that is #3. I'll take your word for it. But by that time he'll have enough money that we'll probably not see him going to the unemployment office.
Nope what you missed is Mahomes signed team friendly deal structured to help his team, made him rich , yet like Brady and others didnt try and drain every nickel and guarantee from his owner..Dak was unwilling to budge on one detail..it shows Mahomes isnt greedy he knew rich is rich and helped his team by allowing them to push a lot of Maloney later down the road instead of one Prescott wouldnt sign a 5th year so he can double dip later

Sure thats his right but shocking is he’s nowhere near as good as Mahomes, doesnt have Sb ring or 2 mvp trophies,or wasn’t even a 1st round pick, yet hes the one acting as if hes has Mahomes leverage and talent..

That the issue here and always has been, Jerry was Wray to give him 34-36 but wanted some team from day structuring and years

Mahomes is better in every way,,that is all

T-RO

Reaction score
they ate all the scraps now it’s time doe Dak to sacrifice what no one in Cowboys history

Huh? Dak would be signing the largest contract in Cowboys' history, and you are talking Big Macs, "sacrifice" and scraps?!

I swear some fans live vicariously through players. Guess what? I didn't want Romo to get his last big contract and argued here w/the same reasoning.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Huh? Dak would be signing the largest contract in Cowboys' history, and you are talking Big Macs, "sacrifice" and scraps?!

I swear some fans live vicariously through players. Guess what? I didn't want Romo to get his last big contract and argued here w/the same reasoning.
This has nothing to do with living vicariously through anyone. I'm telling you on the outside looking in I didn't see any player take the approach you feel Dak should've. You want Dak to take less so they can continue to overpay for talent inferior to him. Jaylon didn't leave any scraps, La'El didn't leave any scraps, Zeke sure as hell didn't........Lawrence sure as hell didn't.......what you wanted Romo to do is irrelevant. The NFL Doesn't run the way you think it should.

Flamma

Reaction score
Nope what you missed is Mahomes signed team friendly deal structured to help his team, made him rich , yet like Brady and others didnt try and drain every nickel and guarantee from his owner..Dak was unwilling to budge on one detail..it shows Mahomes isnt greedy he knew rich is rich and helped his team by allowing them to push a lot of Maloney later down the road instead of one Prescott wouldnt sign a 5th year so he can double dip later

Sure thats his right but shocking is he’s nowhere near as good as Mahomes, doesnt have Sb ring or 2 mvp trophies,or wasn’t even a 1st round pick, yet hes the one acting as if hes has Mahomes leverage and talent..

That the issue here and always has been, Jerry was Wray to give him 34-36 but wanted some team from day structuring and years

Mahomes is better in every way,,that is all

You're right about him not getting everything he could. He could have soaked the team for more but instead agreed to a 10 year deal. And like you said, he realized rich was rich. At some point you have to ask yourself, what am i arguing over? That said, that doesn't mean the contract was team friendly in regards to the cap. Look at some of those cap hits.

It all depends on how much the cap goes up after 2021. But if all goes as normal, he'll be hovering around 14-20% of the cap all the way to 2026. If your cap hit is 40 million, the cap has to be 266 million to be 15%. That's not super team friendly. It's not terrible considering his talent. Luckily for the Chiefs he's still on the last two years of his rookie deal while we go through the mess we're in. But the Chiefs will have to cut back on talent in a few years. Because the Chiefs are going to be anywhere between 0 and 18 mil over the cap next year. And Patrick's big cap hits aren't here yet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
but super stats prescott wants 40 per year and isn't even close to Mahomes.

and Deshaun Watson is getting 39, your point? the market values go up and pretty soon Mahomes deal will not be the biggest in the NFL as other QB come up for FA. Dak is not asking for more than market value and that is how the NFL works. Any agent in his right mind knows this and the owners around the NFL damn well know it. Problem is fans can't seem to comprehend it. Players will look to what the market value is when they come up for FA and with in 2 years those big contracts are surpassed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak was close to signing a 34.5 mil contract last year. I think he'd be doing well if $35 mil were to seriously be in the conversation this year. Of course, the number of years will be in question again. As much as I'd like to see it be five, I'll leave that for Dak and the FO to settle. Good luck. o_O