Shocking stat heard today

RonWashington

Reaction score
Was was watching Denver vs Cards pre season a little bit today see how Zach Wilson was doing after his exodus from Gotham , he played lights out . The broadcast throws out this stat.

In the history of the NFL the top three coaches for points per game are .

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

I guess when you figure Aaron Rogers at QB plus Dak just feasts on this weak NFCE yeah McCarthy teams put up the points . I’ve been critical of the hire from the beginning. It got me to thinking how would Sean Payton have done as HC Dallas. The Broncos are starting a rookie QB in a KC Chief division . Good luck .

plymkr

Reaction score
Was was watching Denver vs Cards pre season a little bit today see how Zach Wilson was doing after his exodus from Gotham , he played lights out . The broadcast throws out this stat.

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

I guess when you figure Aaron Rogers at QB plus Dak just feasts on this weak NFCE yeah McCarthy teams put up the points . I’ve been critical of the hire from the beginning. It got me to thinking how would Sean Payton have done as HC Dallas. The Broncos are starting a rookie QB in a KC Chief division . Good luck .
That is interesting. I would be curious what the stats were for McCarthy lead teams as far as regular season vs post season. I would want to know if there is a pattern of high scoring in the regular season then low scoring in the post season.

T-RO

Reaction score

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

It's not just who are the chief chefs, but more so who are the chefs that actually do the cooking.

McCarthy has not consistently called plays through the years, and he often hasn't been in charge of the design of the playbook. Those responsibilities have often fallen to the offensive coordinator.

Arians and Payton generally did both those duties most every season.

Chasing6

Reaction score

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

I am not shocked to hear that.

RonWashington

Reaction score
That is interesting. I would be curious what the stats were for McCarthy lead teams as far as regular season vs post season. I would want to know if there is a pattern of high scoring in the regular season then low scoring in the post season.

I believe the stat may have only covered regular season . Bruce Arians who I thought was a good coach and was respected for many years as an OC in Pittsburgh I nevertheless would never have guessed he would be on the list either .

RonWashington

Reaction score
It's not just who are the chief chefs, but more so who are the chefs that actually do the cooking.

McCarthy has not consistently called plays through the years, and he often hasn't been in charge of the design of the playbook. Those responsibilities have often fallen to the offensive coordinator.

I noticed in the Charger game Scott Tolzien was heavily involved in the sideline talks with Lance and in fact the broadcast said he was calling plays that day

MM probably would like to see a young guy like Tolzien get an OC job somewhere if not in Dallas . Schottenheimer I’m not at all sold on .

RonWashington

Reaction score
I am not shocked to hear that.

I would have thought someone like Don Coryell the old Chargers coach they referred to his offenses as “ Air Coryell “ back. In the day ….or another coach Chuck Noll of the Steelers would have made the cut . Steelers dominated yearly for awhile back then .

MM teams in Dallas at least dominate the garbage on the schedule but come up short against stout teams .

RonWashington

Reaction score
A side note Zach Wilson played lights out today and in fact will back up Bo Nix Payton announced . He was the playing for a roster spot it was implied . It must help tremendously for a guy like Wilson to get out of New Yawk and have a Sean Payton coach him .

Mark Sanchez washed out in New Yawk Christian Hackenberg said the New Yawk system he was under was garbage .

Sean Payton with Dak Prescott would have been interesting given Payton’s hands on QB tutoring.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

All are recent. It has everything to do with the rules changes the last 20 years.

Swanny

Reaction score

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

All 3 coaches have had the benefit of the NFL creating rules to make defense nearly impossible. NFL making rules to generate more offensive numbers to get more eyes glued to the TV.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

There is only 1 reason why Payton coaching in Dallas right now, and that reason is the owner. He knows Jerry would have never given him any control, so why bother coming to a coach for an owner that is going to try and cut your nuts off every chance he gets?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
NFL making rules to generate more offensive numbers to get more eyes glued to the TV.
Funny you say this considering the Dallas offense can never seem to get their crap together in post season games.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is only 1 reason why Payton coaching in Dallas right now, and that reason is the owner. He knows Jerry would have never given him any control, so why bother coming to a coach for an owner that is going to try and cut your nuts off every chance he gets?
Or maybe it was that MM had 2 years left on his contract, and coming off back to back 12 win season, making the playoffs 3 years a row. And with a team that was poised to make a deep playoff run.

Why would any owner fire a coach, for Sean, who has not done a thing in what 10 years or more.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Denver gave up 2023 first round pick & 2024 second round pick in exchange for Payton and a Saints 2024 third round pick.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

5ff159fac0097.hires.jpg

Only reason he's on that list.....McCarthy's Redzone play calling consists of low percentage deep fades....and QB draws. He isn't fooling anybody.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

What? Mike always called plays except for a few games at GB. He didn't here because Jerry made him give it to Kellen, but he wasn't happy about it and made known last year how much he enjoyed calling plays again.

Anyway, I thought it had been discussed many times how similar Mike's resume is to Sean's. Difference is, one is a media friendly self-promoter and one isn't.