Shocking stat heard today

plymkr

Reaction score
I don't have the time to do the math, but after a quick review, no McCarthy led team had scored less than 20 points in the playoffs prior to 2021 dating back to 2006. It's happened twice since he's been in Dallas.
Thanks for the research. So that blows my theory that it’s a McCarthy problem in the playoffs. This shows a Cowboys problem of freezing up in the playoffs.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the research. So that blows my theory that it’s a McCarthy problem in the playoffs. This shows a Cowboys problem of freezing up in the playoffs.
In that same time frame, Dallas has scored less than 20 four times, 2 of which are in the last three seasons. They lost 21-17 to the Giants in 07, and took a horrible loss against the Vikings in 09, 34-3. For the most part it hasn't been about freezing up, but rather failing at situational football at the worst times.....and Dez getting royally screwed.

Everything is right here if you want to have a look.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Was was watching Denver vs Cards pre season a little bit today see how Zach Wilson was doing after his exodus from Gotham , he played lights out . The broadcast throws out this stat.

In the history of the NFL the top three coaches for points per game are .

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

I guess when you figure Aaron Rogers at QB plus Dak just feasts on this weak NFCE yeah McCarthy teams put up the points . I’ve been critical of the hire from the beginning. It got me to thinking how would Sean Payton have done as HC Dallas. The Broncos are starting a rookie QB in a KC Chief division . Good luck .
Was does everyone think it's only Dak who feasts on weak teams? Since entering the NFL in 2005, as of 2021, Aaron Rodgers is 41-44-1 (.483) against teams that finished the season with a winning record. You failed to mention that Aaron feasts on weak teams too.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Oh, you mean Mike McCarthy isn’t slack jawed, drooling idiot that some fans on here would have us believe?

Mike McCarthy has a border line HoF resume. It’s hard for some people to admit but it’s true.

The biggest thing dragging him down right now is that players on his current team have choked hard in the playoffs.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
That is interesting. I would be curious what the stats were for McCarthy lead teams as far as regular season vs post season. I would want to know if there is a pattern of high scoring in the regular season then low scoring in the post season.
Of course, you would have to normalize the playoffs scoring against all playoff teams, i.e., scoring for most teams will go down in the playoffs due to playing against better competition.

plymkr

Reaction score
In that same time frame, Dallas has scored less than 20 four times, 2 of which are in the last three seasons. They lost 21-17 to the Giants in 07, and took a horrible loss against the Vikings in 09, 34-3. For the most part it hasn't been about freezing up, but rather failing at situational football at the worst times.....and Dez getting royally screwed.

Everything is right here if you want to have a look.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm
Thanks bro, I appreciate the link. I’ll check it out. I still have PTSD from the 07 game. Man that one hurt. I feel Dallas just underperforms in the playoffs. I feel it’s due to culture and poor roster management.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Was does everyone think it's only Dak who feasts on weak teams? Since entering the NFL in 2005, as of 2021, Aaron Rodgers is 41-44-1 (.483) against teams that finished the season with a winning record. You failed to mention that Aaron feasts on weak teams too.

That’s true the Bears Lions & Vikings were road kill for many seasons the difference is the Packers under Rogers beat Prescott and Dallas in the playoffs and actually got to a SB and won .

Last edited:

Havic

Reaction score
Tbh I think Sean has similair success as McCarthy but with better play calling and game management. Enough to reach the NFCGG? No clue.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Was was watching Denver vs Cards pre season a little bit today see how Zach Wilson was doing after his exodus from Gotham , he played lights out . The broadcast throws out this stat.

In the history of the NFL the top three coaches for points per game are .

1. Sean Payton
2. Mike McCarthy
3. Bruce Arians

I guess when you figure Aaron Rogers at QB plus Dak just feasts on this weak NFCE yeah McCarthy teams put up the points . I’ve been critical of the hire from the beginning. It got me to thinking how would Sean Payton have done as HC Dallas. The Broncos are starting a rookie QB in a KC Chief division . Good luck .
He would struggle if he didn't get control for JJ.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks bro, I appreciate the link. I’ll check it out. I still have PTSD from the 07 game. Man that one hurt. I feel Dallas just underperforms in the playoffs. I feel it’s due to culture and poor roster management.
Same bro. I was fresh out of basic training that year and hadn't been able to watch the Cowboys for a good chunk of the second half of the season. Only receiving letters from my ex with updates and getting hyped up for a potential playoff run....only to get smoked like that. Sad days.

I'm sure the country club atmosphere doesn't help, but the ongoing trend is being weak in the trenches. The time tested, proven formula is to establish the run, control the clock, and stop the run on defense. This front office has neglected the front 7 on defense in favor of shiny toys for the vast majority of this century, and the playoff record reflects. I'm glad to see they've made an effort to at least bring in some defensive tackles this year, but I'm not sure they did enough...and they forgot to get a RB in the draft. But hey, at least they're relevant?

kskboys

Reaction score
I know exactly how they work.
Then you know that every iota of every play is on Jerry, as he is over it all as the GM. He's responsible for all. The good and the bad. The 3 super bowls in the 90's, and the horrific playoff record afterwards.

The business owner/CEO is responsible for every employee. That is how it works.

kskboys

Reaction score
The whole narrative was Denver was a good team but needed better coaching. It was never suppose to be a rebuild. It became one when he couldn’t do anything with them.
Wow. Didn't know that. I can only think of one instance where a HC provided the missing link on a super bowl ready team, TB w/ Gruden. And then, funny thing, Gruden showed that he didn't have an inkling of an understanding why they won the super bowl and tore the team apart.

Before Payton took over, DEN was 7-10. I just don't see how he was percieved as the key to an immediate super bowl. That thought process makes no sense to me.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That is interesting. I would be curious what the stats were for McCarthy lead teams as far as regular season vs post season. I would want to know if there is a pattern of high scoring in the regular season then low scoring in the post season.
points dont matter wins do,look at his playoff record, aside from 2010 sb run it is not very good, and same as here.
good reg season, then not so good in playoffs. And he had rodgers!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Sean Payton destroyed Denver so I’d say Mike was probably a better hire.
partly true, but I think they made the wilson deal before they hired Sean? *(the wilson trade was a disaster ! lol)
I dont like that he swooped in and grabbed dinucci after a vg xfl season, and then never played him , then cut him.
Like mike , he had a great qb his whole time in NO.
He now has to find another one, and maybe he isnt the great coach many think.

kskboys

Reaction score
Aaron is a choker, always has been.

kskboys

Reaction score
partly true, but I think they made the wilson deal before they hired Sean? *(the wilson trade was a disaster ! lol)
I dont like that he swooped in and grabbed dinucci after a vg xfl season, and then never played him , then cut him.
Like mike , he had a great qb his whole time in NO.
He now has to find another one, and maybe he isnt the great coach many think.
I was never all that impressed w/ him.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Aaron is a choker, always has been.
Wait what... we actually agree on something?? Lol He's considered a generational QB and Joe Buck, and others refer to him as "THE GREAT" Aaron Rodgers. So yes, he's choked a lot in his career by only winning ONE Super Bowl.