Shook Emmitts Hand Today

jcollins28

Reaction score
Outside of the team hotel at DFW I got Emmitt, Irvan, Troy, Herschel Walker, L.A, Leon Lett, Bill Bates, Woody and a bunch of other guys on a football and did not pay a dime! That was a great day!

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I have met Charles Haley, Jay Novacek, Rayfield Wright, Robert Newhouse, and Mel Renfro.

The Haley one was packed and asked him how his back was, he said great, and couple of weeks later he goes and signs with the niners.

Novacek was cool, I said the team hasn't been the same since you left, he laughed and smiled, and said are you blaming me?

Wright, Newhouse, and Renfro were the best though. We were in a long line, and every one of them carried on long conversations with me, very nice, people in line were getting mad though. And Renfro asked if I played football and I said I was a cornerback, and told me so tips. It was awesome. Though I never saw them play, I heard and saw great things.

Well I just thought I would share that, I'll try to get some pics if my computer is capable

rcaldw

Reaction score
Could you sign my melon? Could you sign my loaf of bread, my brother loves you?

Have you seen those Peyton Manning commercials? They are funny.

I think the point is that they are just human beings like we are and sometimes its funny we are so awe struck by them.

But, having said that, we all have to admit that it is neat to meet a famous person.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I met Bob Lilly in the El Paso airport back in 1989. He could tell I was staring at him trying to make sure he was who I thought he was. He smiled and said "yep". I told him he was my boyhood idol and he got a kick out of that. Nice guy. Shook my hand.

Dog out

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I've got a very cool Emmitt story.. A friend of mine got a hold of him for my birthday and told Emmitt what a big influence he was on me as a teenager growing up.. (he did have a huge influence on me.. I was at an impressionable age, and he was my hero.. he always talked about Jesus and how he was a Christian.. and I read so many stories about him helping his family and other people.. he made me want to be a better person).. anyways, she got a hold of Emmitt and told him my story, and NO JOKE-- he sent me a signed picture and personalized letter.. he told me happy birthday, and included a Bible verse.. and the signed picture was personalized to me, with my name and "happy birthday" on it.. what a great birthday.. so dont tell me that Emmitt isnt classy or doesnt care about his fans.. he took the initiative and time to write a letter and personalize it to me and send it to Oklahoma in a nice protected package so it wouldnt be damaged.. if anyone is interested, I will take a picture of it and post it on here.. let me know..

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
I've got a very cool Emmitt story.. A friend of mine got a hold of him for my birthday and told Emmitt what a big influence he was on me as a teenager growing up.. (he did have a huge influence on me.. I was at an impressionable age, and he was my hero.. he always talked about Jesus and how he was a Christian.. and I read so many stories about him helping his family and other people.. he made me want to be a better person).. anyways, she got a hold of Emmitt and told him my story, and NO JOKE-- he sent me a signed picture and personalized letter.. he told me happy birthday, and included a Bible verse.. and the signed picture was personalized to me, with my name and "happy birthday" on it.. what a great birthday.. so dont tell me that Emmitt isnt classy or doesnt care about his fans.. he took the initiative and time to write a letter and personalize it to me and send it to Oklahoma in a nice protected package so it wouldnt be damaged.. if anyone is interested, I will take a picture of it and post it on here.. let me know..
Very cool story.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TX_Yid said:
Yessiree.. had a bit of a chat with Emmitt while we were buying shoes at the galleria this lunch time, and shook the great mans hand.

Surreal. Really nice guy :star:

Awesome. Get yourself a camera phone.

Scotman

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the same school as those that wouldn't bother the guys. They don't know me and won't remember our conversation. I watch them on game days and follow their careers, but it doesn't give me any right to their free time.

I posted on here before about the times my mom, while working as a waitress at the Stagecoach in in Salado, TX., met Tom Landry and Joe Greene. If you haven't read the Joe Greene story, you ought to. It's about as funny as it gets. Both nice guys.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Hiero said:
do you realize how many people ask for his autograph everyday? if he signed all of them he would never get anything done.

Sure, but he would be pocketing $75 each pop. Why would he want to do anything else? I bet you would set up a table at the galleria and sign autographs all day long if they offered you $75 for your John Henry.

Diamonds are expensive, especially when they are surrounded by trash. :laugh2: $75 is cheap.

I respect Emmitt as a player, but I could care less about shaking his hand and paying out the nose for his memorabilia. He is one of the most money hungry, arrogant pricks to have ever worn a football helmet.

There is even a story about Ladanian Tomlinson and his mother (single mom at that), and about how LT wanted to attend Emmitt's football camp in his younger days. LT and mom didn't have the money to pay for Emmitt's camp, and wrote Emmitt a letter asking that he open up the camp to underprivileged kids that don't have the money. No response from Emmitt, and LT's mom asked friends for the money to pay for camp.

This is a documented story, but I do not have a link. But what is a couple of hundred dollars to a superstar NFL player? I don't get it.

I do know one thing. If he wanted to charge me $75 for an autograph, I would tell him to shove a football up his rear end!

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
Sure, but he would be pocketing $75 each pop. Why would he want to do anything else? I bet you would set up a table at the galleria and sign autographs all day long if they offered you $75 for your John Henry.

Diamonds are expensive, especially when they are surrounded by trash. :laugh2: $75 is cheap.

I respect Emmitt as a player, but I could care less about shaking his hand and paying out the nose for his memorabilia. He is one of the most money hungry, arrogant pricks to have ever worn a football helmet.

There is even a story about Ladanian Tomlinson and his mother (single mom at that), and about how LT wanted to attend Emmitt's football camp in his younger days. LT and mom didn't have the money to pay for Emmitt's camp, and wrote Emmitt a letter asking that he open up the camp to underprivileged kids that don't have the money. No response from Emmitt, and LT's mom asked friends for the money to pay for camp.

This is a documented story, but I do not have a link. But what is a couple of hundred dollars to a superstar NFL player? I don't get it.

I do know one thing. If he wanted to charge me $75 for an autograph, I would tell him to shove a football up his rear end!

You sound delightful, how unfortunate that it wasn't you I ran into at the mall.