Should Cowboys bring C Connor Williams back?

cowboyed

Reaction score
Yes let's re-create an elephant graveyard instead of building a robust, durable and young veteran offensive line.

Jarntt

Reaction score

Will Clapp is not what I would call a standout player but he was a starter and is available. At worst could provide a floor at Center that we can upgrade at some point via draft or trade or free agency

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Biadasz wasn’t a pro bowler in actuality but I was referring to starter quality center. I think 2 of the centers in this draft can start day one
I think three: JPJ, Barton and Frazier, but you might not be considering Barton a center.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So your plan is to play without center until november ?
Brock Hoffman is our current Center. He played okay as Center the few times he filled in for Biadasz during 4th quarter blowouts last season (222 snaps, 3 penalties, 0 sacks allowed). Draft Miami's Matt Lee late in the 5th round. He's solid. Check out his tapes (#55) and numbers, draft bio and scouting report...

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Matthew-Lee-OL-UCF

Then bring in Connor Williams once his knee is well rehabbed and let the best man win the starting Center role. All 3 are dual-position (C/G) linemen. No need to use an early round pick for Center.

conner01

Reaction score
I think three: JPJ, Barton and Frazier, but you might not be considering Barton a center.
I wasn’t. But I’ve read many do. Johnson would be amazing. I know some don’t think a last first is a proper place to take a center but depending on who’s there he may very well be the best choice. Our offense needs to run the ball better and a center can really impact the run game plus he is a day one starter so to me any starting quality center is worth it there or even better after a trade down though that comes with risks since someone could trade in front of you. We definitely need one of these 3 guys

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes let's re-create an elephant graveyard instead of building a robust, durable and young veteran offensive line.
You wouldn't build around him he would just be who you'd go with while your rookie develops. But Connor seems too be much worse than I think we thought.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I wasn’t. But I’ve read many do. Johnson would be amazing. I know some don’t think a last first is a proper place to take a center but depending on who’s there he may very well be the best choice. Our offense needs to run the ball better and a center can really impact the run game plus he is a day one starter so to me any starting quality center is worth it there or even better after a trade down though that comes with risks since someone could trade in front of you. We definitely need one of these 3 guys
One of our best centers since the 1990s was a first-round pick, so I have no trouble with taking one. Now, some might say we traded down before taking Frederick, but we only did that because Frederick wasn't rated as highly as Powers-Johnson and Barton. If we were going to take Frazier, I'd prefer we do it with a slight trade down.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Brock Hoffman is our current Center. He played okay as Center the few times he filled in for Biadasz during 4th quarter blowouts last season (222 snaps, 3 penalties, 0 sacks allowed). Draft Miami's Matt Lee late in the 5th round. He's solid. Check out his tapes (#55) and numbers, draft bio and scouting report...

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Matthew-Lee-OL-UCF

Then bring in Connor Williams once his knee is well rehabbed and let the best man win the starting Center role. All 3 are dual-position (C/G) linemen. No need to use an early round pick for Center.

I dont like your plan at all. Way too much risk involved compared to the pros you get from it. And there is no reason for it.

Biadasz never was the problem in pass-protection. He was the weak link in run blocking. Now you want to bring in Hoffman who couldnt beat out our medicore center.

And you want to take the risk to wait for an injured player until most of the season is gone. What happens if Hoffman is bad and your new center isnt able to play in november. Or he is just not good enough anymore because of his injury ?

conner01

Reaction score
One of our best centers since the 1990s was a first-round pick, so I have no trouble with taking one. Now, some might say we traded down before taking Frederick, but we only did that because Frederick wasn't rated as highly as Powers-Johnson and Barton. If we were going to take Frazier, I'd prefer we do it with a slight trade down.
Agree. Johnson I think it’s too risky to trade back but Frazier I think you could. Maybe even back to top of second and still get him. Just have to really study teams rosters and you know who’s likely to need a center

gimmesix

Reaction score
Agree. Johnson I think it’s too risky to trade back but Frazier I think you could. Maybe even back to top of second and still get him. Just have to really study teams rosters and you know who’s likely to need a center
I don't know if I'd want to risk slipping out of the first if we were targeting Frazier, but if one of those teams behind us in the first are targeting someone (and Johnson and Barton are gone), that would probably be my move unless some top-10 talent has fallen.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Happens pretty often where the best player from the 20th pick onwards (and/or the safest pick) is a center. Exactly what happened to in recent drafts with Linderbaum, Ragnow, and Humphrey and they're all currently top 5 centers in the league. Center isn't the sexist pick but can be good value later 1st and 2nd.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Happens pretty often where the best player from the 20th pick onwards (and/or the safest pick) is a center. Exactly what happened to in recent drafts with Linderbaum, Ragnow, and Humphrey and they're all currently top 5 centers in the league. Center isn't the sexist pick but can be good value later 1st and 2nd.
Yep. I don't think any of those teams regret their pick at all.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Right. Usually, the top tackles are coveted because left tackle is the position teams absolutely want to get right. So you get into the 20s and you may be looking at the fifth-best, eighth-best tackle. Since center is the most-protected lineman, they even sometimes slip behind the guards in order of draft importance. But having the right one can make a huge difference in your line play, and being able to get the top 1-2 shouldn't be downplayed.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Frederick was highly regarded until he ran a 5.58 40 time at the combine. Cowboys were the one team that ignored the time since on tape he had no issues getting downfield or pulling out on sweeps.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Frederick was highly regarded until he ran a 5.58 40 time at the combine. Cowboys were the one team that ignored the time since on tape he had no issues getting downfield or pulling out on sweeps.
I remember his lateral movement skills being in question. Moving straight ahead was no problem, but that was the negative that stood out to me — he was supposed to have poor lateral agility.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I dont like your plan at all. Way too much risk involved compared to the pros you get from it. And there is no reason for it.

Biadasz never was the problem in pass-protection. He was the weak link in run blocking. Now you want to bring in Hoffman who couldnt beat out our medicore center.

And you want to take the risk to wait for an injured player until most of the season is gone. What happens if Hoffman is bad and your new center isnt able to play in november. Or he is just not good enough anymore because of his injury ?
So you totally ignored my idea of drafting Matt Lee (whose strong suit is both run and pass blocking) and me mentioning IF the Cowboys doctor examines and gives the green light on Connor Williams rehab progress?