Should cowboys go after Mitch Trubisky if Dak leaves

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No sir, that was never my implication,, I just always believe that if you truly dont believe in what you have at franchise QB, and clearly, despite what anyone believes about this FO,, nobody, and I mean nobody on this planet, knows what goes on between jerrys ears..lol...
Can we agree on that?
10,, heck ya.. if one falls to us there then I would, but all I was ever saying is that we didnt pull the trigger at 4 and just to throw more gas on the fire we will be drafting a DB at 10 this year, and will probably be regretting it again.

No, not even Jerry knows all the time, I suspect. LOL........

I don't know that it will be a DB but anything is possible. I don't see a Safety worth 10 and a corner is not a good use of resources in this scheme, at 10, IMO. But we will see what happens.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No, not even Jerry knows all the time, I suspect. LOL........

I don't know that it will be a DB but anything is possible. I don't see a Safety worth 10 and a corner is not a good use of resources in this scheme, at 10, IMO. But we will see what happens.
Lot of talk about Surtain, but 10 is way to high for his skills IMO. Im not sure about all the love he has been getting, if this somehow turns into a proactive defensive rebuild draft and we trade back to actually address this defense, and aquire more picks in the process than I have no issue with Surtain, but 10 pick has way too much value.
Nobody wants to hear the unsexy move, but I would have zero issue staying at 10 and taking the best LT in Sewell all day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lot of talk about Surtain, but 10 is way to high for his skills IMO. Im not sure about all the love he has been getting, if this somehow turns into a proactive defensive rebuild draft and we trade back to actually address this defense, and aquire more picks in the process than I have no issue with Surtain, but 10 pick has way too much value.
Nobody wants to hear the unsexy move, but I would have zero issue staying at 10 and taking the best LT in Sewell all day.

Sewell will be gone by 10 IMO, but Slater will likely be there and my cat, Darrisaw. This, to me, is the best move if no trade is made. Solidify that unit, long term and lock down the strength of our team. You do that and it doesn't matter who is at QB, you have a chance to win.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Initially, I thought that there would be a QB at 10, and there still might be. However, with the recent announcements of vet QBs retiring, I am no longer sure that this is the case. There is a very good chance that there is not a QB worth drafting at 10.

IDK, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Mac Jones and I haven't seen him mocked in the top 10.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
IDK, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Mac Jones and I haven't seen him mocked in the top 10.

Not a believer in Bama QBs. How many people loved Tua? Be that as it may, your point about not being a top 10 pick is actually the point. For us, the possibility of a trade down for a team wanting to move up to get a QB is becoming more remote IMO.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not a believer in Bama QBs. How many people loved Tua? Be that as it may, your point about not being a top 10 pick is actually the point. For us, the possibility of a trade down for a team wanting to move up to get a QB is becoming more remote IMO.

I'm not out on Tua yet. You gotta give these young guys a chance.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you're talking judging position players based on their school, I think that's short-sighted (unless we're talking OL from ND ;)).

If you aren't paying attention to that, then that's a recipe for unemployment. I mean, if you are recruiting the very best players in the country every single year and you aren't producing Professional Players who can play in the league, then there is something there and ignoring it is dumb.

I mean, you have to put some thought into this. All things College Football do not translate into the NFL. That has been true from the very beginning. Sometimes, it's not more complicated then that.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
If you aren't paying attention to that, then that's a recipe for unemployment. I mean, if you are recruiting the very best players in the country every single year and you aren't producing Professional Players who can play in the league, then there is something there and ignoring it is dumb.

I mean, you have to put some thought into this. All things College Football do not translate into the NFL. That has been true from the very beginning. Sometimes, it's not more complicated then that.

I guess, but when we're talking Qbs I'm more about the individual eval than what their school produces. Look at Herbert, Malholmes, etc.. It;s not like Texas Tech & Oregon are QB powerhouses.

I'm not saying Jones is going to be the goat, but as you have said before--we don't need that at QB with this team .

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess, but when we're talking Qbs I'm more about the individual eval than what their school produces. Look at Herbert, Malholmes, etc.. It;s not like Texas Tech & Oregon are QB powerhouses.

I'm not saying Jones is going to be the goat, but as you have said before--we don't need that at QB with this team .

I agree.. Judge players individually..

There may be reasons as to why a guy plays at Texas Tech, throws for a million yards, and sucks in the Pro's.. Then one day Patrick Mahomes comes along and kinda crushes that.

Judge players individually. Tua may be terrible but I don't think it's because he played football at Alabam.

I think he's going to be a heck of a player though. If I were Dallas and I could move Dak for Tua i'd do it.

That's not a popular opinion today but I think with the money saved and what I think he will evolve into then it's an absolute steal for me.

If it doesn't pan out.. Oh well. Draft another.

Whatever you do.. Don't get involved in this market of stupidity that is the current QB market.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Well, that's fine but the results are still pretty telling and they can not be discounted. To do so is foolish. You say Herbert, Malholmes, as examples. Well, I loved Malholmes coming out for a reason. He played at a school where he was not surrounded by talent and where he had to shoulder the load. He had to be the difference and he was many times. Herbert, same deal. He played at Oregon, not loaded with talent every year. kid had to make it happen. That's a big part of being a good QB.

So, you don't have to be all world but you have to be able to stand up to the pressure of the moment. Not a Bama QB fan.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree.. Judge players individually..

There may be reasons as to why a guy plays at Texas Tech, throws for a million yards, and sucks in the Pro's.. Then one day Patrick Mahomes comes along and kinda crushes that.

Judge players individually. Tua may be terrible but I don't think it's because he played football at Alabam.

I think he's going to be a heck of a player though. If I were Dallas and I could move Dak for Tua i'd do it.

That's not a popular opinion today but I think with the money saved and what I think he will evolve into then it's an absolute steal for me.

If it doesn't pan out.. Oh well. Draft another.

Whatever you do.. Don't get involved in this market of stupidity that is the current QB market.

Mahomes was different then the rest of the Tech QBs, IMO. Tolliver, Kingsbury, Harrell, Symons, none of them could do what Mahomes could do. Their game didn't translate to the NFL like Mahomes clearly did. When I saw Mahomes at Tech, I saw Farve. A kid who had a legit arm, a kid who could throw from all kinds of angles, could scramble and break, a kid who had surprisingly good accuracy for the mechanics and a kid who was always big enough for the moment. The stage never seemed like it scared him. None of those other guys had that. At schools like Alabama, you never get to see those things because the supporting cast is just too good. It almost never comes down to that so you can't really know what you have in a QB. that is why I don't like those kinds of QBs from uber talented programs.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
At schools like Alabama, you never get to see those things because the supporting cast is just too good. It almost never comes down to that so you can't really know what you have in a QB. that is why I don't like those kinds of QBs from uber talented programs.

Yeah, but wasn't that your argument. Our supporting cast is so good, we can win with a QB like that?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah, but wasn't that your argument. Our supporting cast is so good, we can win with a QB like that?

No. My argument is that we are not good enough to win without significant investment. My argument is that other QBs can come to Dallas and perform at a similar level, wins and loses at a significantly cheaper price point. My argument is that I believe the NFL is now a 5 year rookie deal league, in terms of QBs. It's no longer a 10 or 15 year, long term, multi contract situation. I have been saying for some time that there would be an adjustment to this business of paying on escalating scales for players who have done nothing, simply because it's their turn. I think that's what we are seeing now. Those are the things that I believe.

But I never, ever, said that I believed our supporting cast was so good that we could win with any QB, or anything like that.

How did you get so turned around on that one?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mahomes was different then the rest of the Tech QBs, IMO. Tolliver, Kingsbury, Harrell, Symons, none of them could do what Mahomes could do. Their game didn't translate to the NFL like Mahomes clearly did. When I saw Mahomes at Tech, I saw Farve. A kid who had a legit arm, a kid who could throw from all kinds of angles, could scramble and break, a kid who had surprisingly good accuracy for the mechanics and a kid who was always big enough for the moment. The stage never seemed like it scared him. None of those other guys had that. At schools like Alabama, you never get to see those things because the supporting cast is just too good. It almost never comes down to that so you can't really know what you have in a QB. that is why I don't like those kinds of QBs from uber talented programs.

I agree with some of that..

Matt Leinart and Sam Bradford are good examples of QBs that always had everything optimal in college and were deer in the headlights when pressured in the Pro’s so I get it..

The thing about Tua... Yeah.. Alabama was a powerhouse.. But their offensive passing was average at best until that guy showed up.

IMO Tua is an artist and a Steve Young clone. I think we eventually see that.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I'd rather have Andy Dalton or trade for Hurts (since it seems PHI didn't really want him)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with some of that..

Matt Leinart and Sam Bradford are good examples of QBs that always had everything optimal in college and were deer in the headlights when pressured in the Pro’s so I get it..

The thing about Tua... Yeah.. Alabama was a powerhouse.. But their offensive passing was average at best until that guy showed up.

IMO Tua is an artist and a Steve Young clone. I think we eventually see that.

You know what's funny about this, I never like either one of those guys as NFL QBs. Both of those guys lacked in certain areas.

Here is what you have to remember about Tua and his time at Bama. Tua signed with Bama in 2017, I believe. Sarkisian became the OC at Alabama at mid season 2016. The Offense changed a lot under Sark. They went from run heavy, ball control, limited passing attack to a more explosive, wide open passing attack with less running. So was that because of Tua or was that because of Sark?

I don't see Steve Young in Tua. I actually see more Bradford in Tua.