Should cowboys go after Mitch Trubisky if Dak leaves

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I heard all year we’re loaded On talent so all we need is a quarterback who can throw at least 5 yards. No reason to pay Dak then when Mitch will do it for league minimum

We dem boyz

First off in your dream of Prescott leaving, just how does that happen? If he doesn't sign a long term contract he'll just get tagged again so just how is he leaving? Now here's the funny part, not ha ha funny, but for almost the entire 2019 season Prescott had the best completion percentage in the league on passes of both 20 plus yards and 40 plus yards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mitch Trubisky is a big drop off from Andy Dalton. He'll get a backup job somewhere

I wouldn’t go there. Although he didn’t beat any teams of note Trubisky was 6-4 this season. He had a few good games this season and because he’s a young QB he may not have reached his ceiling. Andy Dalton isn’t going to get any better but Trubisky could.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak isn’t going anywhere but just to play the game that some love playing every offseason I would take Trubisky over Dalton. In 2018 Trubisky had a 350 yard plus game with 6 TDs against Tampa. He’s quicker and faster than Romo was and can make some plays with his legs. He’s shown some flashes and seeing that he’s only 26 he could get better. I honestly think our offense would have looked better with him than with Dalton. Some new surroundings might do Trubisky some good.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go there. Although he didn’t beat any teams of note Trubisky was 6-4 this season. He had a few good games this season and because he’s a young QB he may not have reached his ceiling. Andy Dalton isn’t going to get any better but Trubisky could.

Give Dalton the Bears defense and he would probably win some more games. The Bears didn't give up a 30 point game until week 12. The Cowboys gave up their 6th 30 point game, week 12.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Trubisky is one of many examples why the Cowboys should pay Dak instead of crossing their fingers on another QB in the first round.

Blake Bortles, E.J. Manuel, Blaine Gabbert, Paxton Lynch, Dwayne Haskins, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, and even Carson Wentz join Trubisky in this regard.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Give Dalton the Bears defense and he would probably win some more games. The Bears didn't give up a 30 point game until week 12. The Cowboys gave up their 6th 30 point game, week 12.

It’s easier for a lot of QBs to win games if they don’t have to put up 30+ points to overcome their defense.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’d rather Zeke take direct snaps all game long rather than have that bum playing QB for us.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Trubisky is one of many examples why the Cowboys should pay Dak instead of crossing their fingers on another QB in the first round.

Blake Bortles, E.J. Manuel, Blaine Gabbert, Paxton Lynch, Dwayne Haskins, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, and even Carson Wentz join Trubisky in this regard.

No. If you take this approach, then the team would never draft a QB at all. If this approach were taken, the Cowboys would never have drafted Morton because we had Meredith. We would never have drafted Staubach because we had Morton. Would never have drafted White because we had Staubach. Would never have drafted Dak because we had Romo. I mean, necessity drives these types of decisions and at the end of day, while I hear everybody say that Dak will be signed, that it would be stupid to invest in QB, etc., etc., history has proven and down right shown us that it's beyond stupid to ignore the position. For two years, Dak has been signing and still nothing. Dak is not indestructible, as many of our fans seemed to believe. Just a lot of reason why I believe it is foolish to simply ignore the position, even if you have a QB.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If for some reason Dak is no re-signed, this is the route I want to go. Draft the best rookie at 10 you can.

Initially, I thought that there would be a QB at 10, and there still might be. However, with the recent announcements of vet QBs retiring, I am no longer sure that this is the case. There is a very good chance that there is not a QB worth drafting at 10.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, Mitch is terrible and should be converted to a TE. Cowboys should sign Jameis

I would not want Winston under any circumstances. That dude has a long history of trouble and throws picks like they are water running out of the kitchen tap. No thank you there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Threads like this are just to keep the Dak haters occupied until the next episode of Paw Patrol airs on Nickelodeon.

You know you got the Jammies and the DVR set to record that stuff. It's funny because you call out the so called "Dak Haters" and you are no better when it comes to Dak. You do exactly the same kind of thing in reverse. Other side of the coin, so to speak.

I don't understand that.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No. If you take this approach, then the team would never draft a QB at all. If this approach were taken, the Cowboys would never have drafted Morton because we had Meredith. We would never have drafted Staubach because we had Morton. Would never have drafted White because we had Staubach. Would never have drafted Dak because we had Romo. I mean, necessity drives these types of decisions and at the end of day, while I hear everybody say that Dak will be signed, that it would be stupid to invest in QB, etc., etc., history has proven and down right shown us that it's beyond stupid to ignore the position. For two years, Dak has been signing and still nothing. Dak is not indestructible, as many of our fans seemed to believe. Just a lot of reason why I believe it is foolish to simply ignore the position, even if you have a QB.

JMO

I completely agree with you. But the point of my post is this: the Cowboys already know what they have in Dak Prescott. Is he elite? Probably no. Is he a quarterback that can win a title? Absolutely. Dallas can win the Super Bowl with Dak so long as they improve other aspects of their roster.

By letting Dak walk, the Cowboys could be staring down the same long, dark path they were on post-Aikman and pre-Romo. Flop draft picks (Quincy Carter), silly projects (Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson), and veteran retreads (Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe).

I'd rather not take that chance. Prescott will never be Mahomes or Brady but he's a lot better than his detractors think. I'd rather build a team around him than cross my fingers on an unknown commodity at QB. Again, just my opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

JMO

Depending on certain factors. Age of your current starting QB I think plays a factor, not to say you don't draft a QB but I would not look to draft a QB high in the draft. What you said about Morton and Roger is true but then in those days most QB sat for a couple of years before they ever saw the playing field. Now days you got 4 years to find out what you have at QB, no one is sitting rookie QB's these days. On the other hand if I have starter who is on the tail end of his career yeah I may look to draft a QB higher in the draft have him sit for 1 season and then transition to him.

basel90

Reaction score
I heard all year we’re loaded On talent so all we need is a quarterback who can throw at least 5 yards. No reason to pay Dak then when Mitch will do it for league minimum

We dem boyz
no , trubisky is a shaky QB with many weaknesses. He gets confused easily by coverages and has other issues.

Mannix

Reaction score
I don't wan't him or Dak long term

-------Trubisky is almost as good as Cooper Rush.

Mike White might have a little something to say about that!

Mannix

Reaction score
Just cut Dak loose....take this guy....rebuild your defense....go to the NFC Championship in 2022...case closed...EZ PZ. You watch this whole thing and you will fall in love with him...AMAZING!!!

Last edited: