Should cowboys go after Mitch Trubisky if Dak leaves

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I completely agree with you. But the point of my post is this: the Cowboys already know what they have in Dak Prescott. Is he elite? Probably no. Is he a quarterback that can win a title? Absolutely. Dallas can win the Super Bowl with Dak so long as they improve other aspects of their roster.

By letting Dak walk, the Cowboys could be staring down the same long, dark path they were on post-Aikman and pre-Romo. Flop draft picks (Quincy Carter), silly projects (Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson), and veteran retreads (Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe).

I'd rather not take that chance. Prescott will never be Mahomes or Brady but he's a lot better than his detractors think. I'd rather build a team around him than cross my fingers on an unknown commodity at QB. Again, just my opinion.

It's true, the Cowboys could end up with fools gold if they were to take a QB but then again, that could happen no matter what. Dak could just decide he wants to move on and then we are forced to take a QB. If that happens, what are the chances we are in the top 10 and we have as deep a QB class as we do this year? This is why you gotta make the best choice, based on the the players available.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Depending on certain factors. Age of your current starting QB I think plays a factor, not to say you don't draft a QB but I would not look to draft a QB high in the draft. What you said about Morton and Roger is true but then in those days most QB sat for a couple of years before they ever saw the playing field. Now days you got 4 years to find out what you have at QB, no one is sitting rookie QB's these days. On the other hand if I have starter who is on the tail end of his career yeah I may look to draft a QB higher in the draft have him sit for 1 season and then transition to him.

I agreed and for what it's worth, they were better able to step in and play IMO, but I wonder if it's not changing again. I mean, the position is getting easier to play because the offenses are less dependent on the ability to throw the ball and read defenses. You don't have to throw dimes anymore, in order to play. You can be less accurate and more athletic and be successful. The Offenses are simpler so easier to pick up. More and more young QBs are stepping in starting sooner, seeing success. You see a lot of people take about failure rates of top QBs but honestly, we are seeing more young QBs being successful then before.

I just saw this morning that the Rams are talking about cutting ties with Geoff. GB is talking about moving on from Rodgers. All of that is contract driven and those teams, they aren't afraid of moving their QBs because they can't afford to pay them anymore. This is what we have to look forward to if we sign Dak to a stupid contract IMO.

I'm not afraid of moving on from Dak. It's gonna happen sooner or later IMO.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I heard all year we’re loaded On talent so all we need is a quarterback who can throw at least 5 yards. No reason to pay Dak then when Mitch will do it for league minimum

We dem boyz

I don't know what's worst. This post or the ppl who like it.

bewp7

Reaction score
oh if dak leaves then mitch is the best qb for cowboys.

either he does becomes a good qb (lol!) or he lead the tank to help them get #1 pick.

win win

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agreed and for what it's worth, they were better able to step in and play IMO, but I wonder if it's not changing again. I mean, the position is getting easier to play because the offenses are less dependent on the ability to throw the ball and read defenses. You don't have to throw dimes anymore, in order to play. You can be less accurate and more athletic and be successful. The Offenses are simpler so easier to pick up. More and more young QBs are stepping in starting sooner, seeing success. You see a lot of people take about failure rates of top QBs but honestly, we are seeing more young QBs being successful then before.

I just saw this morning that the Rams are talking about cutting ties with Geoff. GB is talking about moving on from Rodgers. All of that is contract driven and those teams, they aren't afraid of moving their QBs because they can't afford to pay them anymore. This is what we have to look forward to if we sign Dak to a stupid contract IMO.

I'm not afraid of moving on from Dak. It's gonna happen sooner or later IMO.

I think it that is true that, I think NFL offense are going more to college style offense so that the young QB can come in and play right away since they do not have the time to sit and learn and develop. Read option is something few NFL teams were willing to do in the past because they did not want the QB taking the big hits, however even NFL rules have given the QB much more protection that the days of old. I don't see Geoff or Rodgers especially I see it as in Rodgers case disgruntled over coaching he did the same with McCarthy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think it that is true that, I think NFL offense are going more to college style offense so that the young QB can come in and play right away since they do not have the time to sit and learn and develop. Read option is something few NFL teams were willing to do in the past because they did not want the QB taking the big hits, however even NFL rules have given the QB much more protection that the days of old. I don't see Geoff or Rodgers especially I see it as in Rodgers case disgruntled over coaching he did the same with McCarthy.

I actually think it's both with Rodgers. Rodgers wants more money, I suspect. He wants more because of ego but also because it's money right? I don't believe the Packers can afford to go down this path because that ties them to Rodgers long term. They already have chosen a direction at QB by drafting Love. To sign Rodgers to another longer deal with more money could compromise their cap. They are managing their cap with Rodgers number now and Love's low number. They have Love on a cheap deal for really only 4 years. After that, they need to get him resigned and prior to that, they need to get him on the field. This is probably the last year he sits on the bench if he is their future because he has to get playing time and the Packers need to see what he is, long term. If the Packers do this, they basically throw that pick away and set themselves up for a bad cap situation in a year or two.

I don't think the Packers expected Rodgers to come back and play as well as he did this year. Now they have a little bit of an issue but it's really not different then Favre/Rodgers back in the day. I suspect they will do exactly the same thing again. I suppose we will see though.....

I will say this thou, if the Packers decide to redo Rodgers deal, I would be on the phone to them, trying to see if a deal could be had for Love. That kid has a ton of talent and with time on the bench learning, he's a kid who is probably a lot closer to starting then anybody we could draft. If you decided to just Tag and trade Dak, he could be a legit option to bring to Dallas and groom without spending a top 5 pick for a QB. I'd be all over that.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Initially, I thought that there would be a QB at 10, and there still might be. However, with the recent announcements of vet QBs retiring, I am no longer sure that this is the case. There is a very good chance that there is not a QB worth drafting at 10.
We passed at 4 and took a RB, why would you think this franchise takes one at 10?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I actually think it's both with Rodgers. Rodgers wants more money, I suspect. He wants more because of ego but also because it's money right? I don't believe the Packers can afford to go down this path because that ties them to Rodgers long term. They already have chosen a direction at QB by drafting Love. To sign Rodgers to another longer deal with more money could compromise their cap. They are managing their cap with Rodgers number now and Love's low number. They have Love on a cheap deal for really only 4 years. After that, they need to get him resigned and prior to that, they need to get him on the field. This is probably the last year he sits on the bench if he is their future because he has to get playing time and the Packers need to see what he is, long term. If the Packers do this, they basically throw that pick away and set themselves up for a bad cap situation in a year or two.

I don't think the Packers expected Rodgers to come back and play as well as he did this year. Now they have a little bit of an issue but it's really not different then Favre/Rodgers back in the day. I suspect they will do exactly the same thing again. I suppose we will see though.....

Reports I have seen on Love was they were not impressed in his training camp work, that can change but expecting Love to step in and play to the level of Rodgers? well I would have to see that to believe it. I think GB future starts looking very bleak once Rodgers is gone.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What are you talking about?
I dont know what your not understanding, just saying that we had the 4th overall, that was the time to strike while the iron was hot.
10 is still in the ball park, but the risk is magnified by a significant margin.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Reports I have seen on Love was they were not impressed in his training camp work, that can change but expecting Love to step in and play to the level of Rodgers? well I would have to see that to believe it. I think GB future starts looking very bleak once Rodgers is gone.

He doesn't have to play to the level of Rodgers. I mean, lets face it, how many QBs in the league are capable of playing to that level at any given time? To take that a step further, when Rodgers came to GB, he didn't play up to the level of Farve but, he would eventually get to that point. This is the way GB does it. They do it this way because they have to. They are unique, in terms of how they can spend money and cap because of where they are located. They can't really bring in a lot of FAs because who the hell wants to live in GB if you aren't going to win a Championship? So, they have to have a Franchise QB who can attract talent at a reasonable amount of money. How do they do that? They always have another Franchise guy on the way, if they can. I mean, I get it, for sure. It's smart, how they do it IMO. If they don't do this, that whole Franchise burns down because they will be stuck in GB with no QB, not talent to speak of and very little audiance. That Franchise, to me, is one missed QB away from being the next Franchise to move.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I dont know what your not understanding, just saying that we had the 4th overall, that was the time to strike while the iron was hot.
10 is still in the ball park, but the risk is magnified by a significant margin.

Show me where I said anything like this. But first, read the thread. That might help a lot.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well thats easy to say,, just replace a legend of the game.
Favre might buy you a drink.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He doesn't have to play to the level of Rodgers. I mean, lets face it, how many QBs in the league are capable of playing to that level at any given time? To take that a step further, when Rodgers came to GB, he didn't play up to the level of Farve but, he would eventually get to that point. This is the way GB does it. They do it this way because they have to. They are unique, in terms of how they can spend money and cap because of where they are located. They can't really bring in a lot of FAs because who the hell wants to live in GB if you aren't going to win a Championship? So, they have to have a Franchise QB who can attract talent at a reasonable amount of money. How do they do that? They always have another Franchise guy on the way, if they can. I mean, I get it, for sure. It's smart, how they do it IMO. If they don't do this, that whole Franchise burns down because they will be stuck in GB with no QB, not talent to speak of and very little audiance. That Franchise, to me, is one missed QB away from being the next Franchise to move.

JMO

We will see, I think GB days at the top of that division are gone once Rodgers is gone. We will see.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Show me where I said anything like this. But first, read the thread. That might help a lot.
You actually didnt,, Im just still an angry old fool that we didnt invest wisely when we held the 4.
My bad.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well thats easy to say,, just replace a legend of the game.
Favre might by you a drink.

No doubt GB hit gold with Rodgers once Favre left, as good as Brett was he was one of the biggest gun slingers in the NFL who throw more TD in his career than anyone but also threw the most interceptions of any QB. Currently Brett hold the 4th most TD passes in league history but he is still #1 in interceptions by 59 ints. Blanda was 2nd to 277 to Brett 336 ints. What GB lost in TD early on they made up by turning the ball over fewer times

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You actually didnt,, Im just still an angry old fool that we didnt invest wisely when we held the 4.
My bad.

OK, actually makes more sense now. I don't believe we will get a QB, even if one was there but I think it would be smart to consider that. I am in favor of going younger at QB and saving Cap but I don't see the team doing that.

The response you were quoting was simply saying that I no longer feel confident that a QB will be there at 10 to draft or even entertain a trade up for.

Have a good one Ty.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
OK, actually makes more sense now. I don't believe we will get a QB, even if one was there but I think it would be smart to consider that. I am in favor of going younger at QB and saving Cap but I don't see the team doing that.

The response you were quoting was simply saying that I no longer feel confident that a QB will be there at 10 to draft or even entertain a trade up for.

Have a good one Ty.
No sir, that was never my implication,, I just always believe that if you truly dont believe in what you have at franchise QB, and clearly, despite what anyone believes about this FO,, nobody, and I mean nobody on this planet, knows what goes on between jerrys ears..lol...
Can we agree on that?
10,, heck ya.. if one falls to us there then I would, but all I was ever saying is that we didnt pull the trigger at 4 and just to throw more gas on the fire we will be drafting a DB at 10 this year, and will probably be regretting it again.