Should Cowboys Sign Vikings FA Anthony Barr As Parsons Helper?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Unless he's a direct replacement for LVE, I don't see the point. If we play like we did last year, we'll rarely use a true strongside linebacker. We either use Kearse (4-3 sets) or use the pseudo-3-4 where two of the linebackers are actually ends.
He will be a backup. We should sign him for 2 years. He can step in for lve or cox this year. And next year he can rotate in with damone clark and cox next year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He will be a backup. We should sign him for 2 years. He can step in for lve or cox this year. And next year he can rotate in with damone clark and cox next year.

Cox's role is going to be coverage, so he'd need to be good at that to replace him. Cox is essentially the Neal replacement, and Neal was brought in to be a hybrid linebacker safety for the nickel. LVE is more of the standard run-stopping linebacker, and he seemed to figure out the role late. I'm not opposed to Barr because he definitely would be more qualified depth than Gifford, who is one of our five or six linebackers this year (although Hansford could beat him out). If healthy, he's a better player than LVE. I just wasn't sure what role fits him.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Cox's role is going to be coverage, so he'd need to be good at that to replace him. Cox is essentially the Neal replacement, and Neal was brought in to be a hybrid linebacker safety for the nickel. LVE is more of the standard run-stopping linebacker, and he seemed to figure out the role late. I'm not opposed to Barr because he definitely would be more qualified depth than Gifford, who is one of our five or six linebackers this year (although Hansford could beat him out). If healthy, he's a better player than LVE. I just wasn't sure what role fits him.
google anthony barr and come back to me. he was a strong side lber that played in coverage in nickel downs most of his career. his size allowed them to blitz him effectively. did you ever watch him play?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yes, this is why you freed up all that cap space: to make bigtime upgrades.

Barr is big strong, can play the run, and get to the quarterback.

Oldie, but a goodie.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing what Devin Harper can do.

gimmesix

Reaction score
google anthony barr and come back to me. he was a strong side lber that played in coverage in nickel downs most of his career. his size allowed them to blitz him effectively. did you ever watch him play?

Don't really remember him. More just what I've heard/read than seen. The more I think about it, though, the more I'm in agreement that it would be a good signing. If he's good in coverage, he might be a fallback in case Cox is slow coming back from injury or in case Cox just fails (not expecting that, but it's possible since he didn't play that much). LVE hasn't exactly been the picture of health so far in his career, either. I'm not opposed to improving our depth and creating contingencies in case what we're planning to do falls through. We really only have one sure bet at linebacker right now (Parsons). The rest is sketchy or potential.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The need is more of a mike or will, not a strongside LB which Barr is. It is expected that Cox will take on the Neal role as the team's nickel linebacker, but who do they have inside against the run, if one would go down? KJ Wright, Hitchens type would be more ideal.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Prefer Clowney to Barr.

Or offer Bossman Fat to Chiefs for Leo Chenal.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I would bring in Anthony Barr LB and Akiem Hicks DT.

I want the young guys to make the Roster aswell and they still can Dallas isn't married to LVE or Gifford
You can use Barr in different schemes.
If they wanna play Parsons at DE some times or Barr at DE sometimes he wouldbe a good add. And if he gets hurts Cowboys ha e that poison pill clouse in his contract and there all done with him.
I'd list him like Parsons he would be his back up and his back up only and when they shift Parsons down to DE on some plays then he plays. He would be special teamer esk.

As for Hicks he would be a solid add with Ridgeway learning from him and Watkins

Sell off Hill

Hadenough

Reaction score
Don't sign Barr. That would be a typical Cowboys move of being cheap in signing a guy who's better days are behind him. They need to sign these type if players on their first contract or forget it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I can't see it happening with Fowler being signed and us spending a second-round pick on a pass rusher. It was already very unlikely that the Joneses would over him anything worth signing for. Fisher just keeps putting out the bait anyway.

I don't see a fit with the Cowboys unless he is available for less than 2M.
- He wouldn't play enough snaps to justify a significant salary.
  • The Cowboys rarely played more than 2 LBs together in 2021.
    • Parsons plus LVE or Neal.
      • Generally, LVE and Neal were only on the field together in the games that Parsons played DE.
    • For 2022, Jabril Cox will play the Neal role (coverage LB) and LVE will play on run downs.
      • Based on 2021, they'll also play significant snaps with only Parsons as a true LB and with 3 Safeties (Kearse as a hybrid LB).
  • Anthony Barr (6-5, 255)
    • I reviewed some of this games from 2021 and from his rookie season.
      • He was drafted as a pass rusher but ended up playing as an off-ball LB.
    • He has had more pass rush snaps than average for an off-ball LB and has occasionally lined up at DE.
      • However, he was primary off-ball his rookie season when he had 4 sacks and was off-ball season.
  • Spotrac indicates he played on a 1-year, 8.6M contract in 2021.
    • He had signed a big multi-year contract in 2019, but that was cancelled and replaced by a 1-year contract for 2021.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't see a fit with the Cowboys unless he is available for less than 2M.
- He wouldn't play enough snaps to justify a significant salary.
  • The Cowboys rarely played more than 2 LBs together in 2021.
    • Parsons plus LVE or Neal.
      • Generally, LVE and Neal were only on the field together in the games that Parsons played DE.
    • For 2022, Jabril Cox will play the Neal role (coverage LB) and LVE will play on run downs.
      • Based on 2021, they'll also play significant snaps with only Parsons as a true LB and with 3 Safeties (Kearse as a hybrid LB).
  • Anthony Barr (6-5, 255)
    • I reviewed some of this games from 2021 and from his rookie season.
      • He was drafted as a pass rusher but ended up playing as an off-ball LB.
    • He has had more pass rush snaps than average for an off-ball LB and has occasionally lined up at DE.
      • However, he was primary off-ball his rookie season when he had 4 sacks and was off-ball season.
  • Spotrac indicates he played on a 1-year, 8.6M contract in 2021.
    • He had signed a big multi-year contract in 2019, but that was cancelled and replaced by a 1-year contract for 2021.

I'm at the point where I wouldn't be upset with the signing because he's likely still better at this point than some of the depth we have. But I certainly can't see him being worth $8.6 million, especially with the way we use our linebackers. I agree that Parsons and Cox are going to be out there the most as our two true linebackers. However, I also think we have to be wary of just thinking Cox is going to be able to bounce back from injury and fill the Neal role. He could struggle, so I don't mind having options. Barr did have three interceptions and five passes defensed last year, and that was in 11 games.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parsons is pretty much schooling the league already.
But the more help they get him, the better he'll play. He can't be the sole pressure this year as other teams will be game planning for him