CFZ Should Dak Prescott be paid the up and coming contract?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
France...so you know who the Agents are, huh...at least leave some valid information behind, whether you denote a 'joke' or not. (contract negotiations is a current topic)

Extrimity and uncontrolled obscuring of being a fan, not a play on words...but there YOU go again, and again, and again...
I don't normally make spelling and grammar corrections...but...

You spelled "extremity" incorrectly. FYI.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lawrence went to a terrible team and is slowly turning that team around. On the Cowboys they are in the SB with him last year.
Lol. On the cowboys if he threw 4 picks in the first half you would be saying something much different.

If the Chargers OC had half a brain the second coming Trevor lawrence loses that game and has one of the worst playoff performances of a QB in the playoffs in nfl history. Y’all need to stop with this nonsense

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not even trying to apologize for Dak...he just needs a disciplined focus that he turns on and off. That comes with great support and time with a unit, both.

This coaching staff should keep them always moving into the zone and keeping momentum in their side of the field.
If the Cowboys have a chance it's right now. Most of the heavy hitters in the NFC are gone. We should be as good as anyone. I'm really interested to see how this new OC and gameplan work out.

Creeper

Reaction score
well the flaw in that view , is it wasnt the qb's, it was the coaching, and the GM.
The cowboys were bad from they year after SB 30 onward. They still had the tripletts,deion and others, but they were one and done in playoffs,
usually the wc round.
Back then Jerry and his boy were horrible at running the team ( the galloway trade lol)

You shouldnt be afraid to get another qb, because you might get one who isnt very good.
Now with the jones boys picking the next qb, whether by trade, FA , or Draft, I admit I dont trust them to make a good pick.
Gus like romo, dak, purdy are out there and at a much cheaper price than dak, and younger too.

If your going to build a super team around dak, his salary inhibits that, and they would be better off with a guy like dinucci ,perez, or McDough,
which would give them about 37 mil extra or more considering daks new deal to put more players around a young cheap QB.

some history:
Chan gailey years , one and done, The GM fired him, and made campo HC , then the campo years.

I remember the qb , whoever it might be, being tackled before he could get set to pass, and many times on handoffs a defender would
be hitting them as they were trying to do the handoff!!
That has nothing to do with how good the qb, or rb is, it is all on coaching and OL quality.

Campo was a Def coach and the def was pretty good , but the offense was a mess.

Jerry wants the new stadium, and to be a better team, so he hires a too old parcells, the team improves plays better on offense, and jerry got
his stadium. After parcells he hires wade to be HC and saddles him with JG who controls the offense much like the deal with kellen and mike.

Then romo gets hurt out for season, and jerry blames wade for a big loss on mnf ,even though offense was embarrassed too, makes JG HC.
Little did we know that was the beginning of a 10 year run with clapper.
Then he hires mike out of his basement, because he heard "bells" ! saddled him with kellen who controlled the offense, then after 3 years
he dumps kellen and it is all mike now.

even though the jones boys are better at team building (they have built several good ones) they hurt the team they built with their own
actions and inactions, so that team has always failed in playoffs.
I think jerry is getting desperate now to get to a SB, so he got rid of kellen quickly and actually got 2 notable FA this off season.

All this tells me he will stick with dak due to he wants to win now, and doesnt want to risk a new qb, he will stay with the "best mistake corrector " he has ever seen.

It is a mistake , but that is what he will do.

Keep in mind, the only reason KC has Mahomes, is they took a risk, took a young qb in the draft, even though they had a starter who was as good or better
than dak. bellichek had bledsoe, but decided to take a risk on brady. dallas had romo, but decided to grab dak in the 4th. dak was supposed to be
a quality bkup or remote chance of being a starter.
meanwhile jerry has done nothing at qb since 2016, they did pick dinucci, but dumped him too soon. I am curious to see what payton does with him
in denver. I bet the first time russell is hurt , he will put dinucci in.
Between 2010 and 2022 34 QBs were taken in the first round. Remember Jake Locker, Brandon Weedon, Blane Gabbert, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles? Most of the QBs taken were taken in the top 10 too. Yet the vast majority turned out to be busts. Sure a few made it and the teams that had an opportunity to take them improved. But the data shows just taking a QB in the first round is not a guarantee of success.

I am not against drafting a QB, in fact I suggested it was a necessary backup plan if they didn't want Dak to hold them up for ransom as he is going to do most likely. But any team looking for a QB has to have the opportunity to take a good one and they are not always there. Mahomes is one. Burrow another. Some might say Josh Allen is one. But there are a lot more Josh Rosens than Josh Allens. It would have been good if Dallas had a young QB on the rost so they would know where they stand, but they don't and letting Dak go in the hopes that a quality QB will be there when they draft is not a good plan.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They really don't have a choice. The defense is being built to contend. There is a window of opportunity that would be wasted on going with a draft pick and enduring the learning curve.
Yes.

He's unequivocally going to get an extension before next season to drop his cap hit.
Recall that when Dak was a rookie w/o starting snaps for most of camp we were a legitimate contender.
Rookies can play too. And since you're not locked into a huge contract, you can run them and get more value out of them - as happened with Dak. 6 rushing TDs first 3 seasons.
You always have a choice.
Most around here always prefer the Sell Out To Win Now choice.
Selling out by giving a mid range QB a "market rate" contract is the way to keep a championship out of reach for years.
Play Dak out this year and see. See if we're actually contending. See if Dak is a reason for this.
Note that if the *rest* of the team is a serious contender, a quality QB is probably willing to come for a ring instead of a paycheck. We don't have to be desperate to get a good QB if the rest of the team is *really* a contender.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Possibly but if you look at the market value and guys who are making that now who haven't done anymore than Prescott or even less are already making that I mean seriously if the playoffs and bigger games are what we're judging there's a lot of dudes making close to 50 million that haven't done anymore than Prescott in the playoffs they got their deals ahead of the ahead of Super Bowls ahead of championship games so sure that's the market unless you want to fall in a hole and be searching for a quarterback for how long? I mean we saw between Troy and Tony Romo we had what 12 or 13 failed attempts.

You see it around the league,

you either have a top ten quarterback like we have or you're constantly drafting failed quarterbacks or projects until you get tired of it then go out and overpay for deshaun Watson both draft picks and compensation or even Russell Wilson, cousins, and now Aaron Rodgers and others these guys have tried to find a quarterback for ages and could not how about Washington ,Indianapolis, they've been looking for quarterbacks, it's not that easy to find a new quarterback not one that can put up the numbers that Prescott can regardless if you don't like the guy or not he's a top ten quarterback. The money parts not a fan thing I let the front office worry about that but we may not be as lucky going from Tony Romo to Prescott where we didn't have a gap it may end up being like the other teams or like it was between aikman and Romo that's a disaster waiting to happen when you have a team on the verge with the window open with the defense and some other parts of the team that are getting close to being able to get over the top and then what you dump your quarterback and then you don't have a quarterback none of that other stuff 's gonna matter much.
I don't see it like that. The Cowboys have chosen not to draft QBs and have done well drafting the other players. At this point right now the loss of Prescott would be more like the 49ers and playing musical chairs at QB. When you mention going so many years without a QB
And losing games thats partly because the team was bad too. This team was winning games with Cooper Rush. If they had Jacoby Brissett it wouldn't surprise me if they still win 10 games. Brissett wouldn't put up 50 points but he also might not choke as bad by putting up 12 points. I absolutely hate when people make it sound like Dak is irreplaceable.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If it's unequivocal what's the actual hold up: years, money, guaranteed money. As I see it Dak isn't (doesn't need to be) in a rush to sign anything. He and France are probably of the same opinion as yourself and with a salary of $34m coming to him in 2024 (and a market enhanced contract) why not play hard ball (again)?
I doubt Dak/France are taking the same view point as some of our fanbase that he'll take a discount.
There isn't a hold up, there's just no real reason to do it yet.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Recall that when Dak was a rookie w/o starting snaps for most of camp we were a legitimate contender.
Rookies can play too. And since you're not locked into a huge contract, you can run them and get more value out of them - as happened with Dak. 6 rushing TDs first 3 seasons.
You always have a choice.
Most around here always prefer the Sell Out To Win Now choice.
Selling out by giving a mid range QB a "market rate" contract is the way to keep a championship out of reach for years.
Play Dak out this year and see. See if we're actually contending. See if Dak is a reason for this.
Note that if the *rest* of the team is a serious contender, a quality QB is probably willing to come for a ring instead of a paycheck. We don't have to be desperate to get a good QB if the rest of the team is *really* a contender.
Dallas was as much of a contender the last two years as it was in 2016 what are you talking about?

They don't have a choice. You extend him or he has a cap hit over $60m next year or around $25m for the next to not to play.

There is 0 chance he doesn't get an extension.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas was as much of a contender the last two years as it was in 2016 what are you talking about?

They don't have a choice. You extend him or he has a cap hit over $60m next year or around $25m for the next to not to play.

There is 0 chance he doesn't get an extension.
The use for game changing players and also young, is already on the table for Dallas. Dak Prescott is a good quarterback who is no longer naive. His eyes are much wider opened now as is his place in a changed offense has been molded to enhance an already strong team direction.

Focus is on Championship direction, and Dak needs his cap level to more of an advantage to pay current and top shelf stars: Lamb, Parsons, and Diggs. Later Tyler Smith.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There isn't a hold up, there's just no real reason to do it yet.
So when does it get done... because I don't see, with the benefit of the last negotiation, Dak or France having any urgency in signing a new contract.
Then again with the potential CAP rollover it's conceivable the Jones' aren't in a hurry either. Indeed, with a CeeDee extention (on high prorated signing bonus) we may have $50m to spend (after Dak's $59m).

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So when does it get done... because I don't see, with the benefit of the last negotiation, Dak or France having any urgency in signing a new contract.
Then again with the potential CAP rollover it's conceivable the Jones' aren't in a hurry either. Indeed, with a CeeDee extention (on high prorated signing bonus) we may have $50m to spend (after Dak's $59m).
It gets done midseason or in the offseason. It really doesn't amtter.

Dak's cap hit next year doesn't matter relative to CD, because CD's extension doesn't kick in until 2025.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It gets done midseason or in the offseason. It really doesn't amtter.

Dak's cap hit next year doesn't matter relative to CD, because CD's extension doesn't kick in until 2025.
We're now talking more of a Tyler Smith outlook then...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't normally make spelling and grammar corrections...but...

You spelled "extremity" incorrectly. FYI.
You corrected that, alright...I usually use spell check and advanced check when in a rush time. I'm not perfect...but try to be even when my plate is full. It also seems that a lot of minor things are major in responses to myself.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We're now talking more of a Tyler Smith outlook then...
Eh, maybe the end of Dak's contract. Tyler Smith's extension won't start until probably 2027.

Dak's cap hit is going to be relatively low in 2024 and 2025 and then jump in 2026 and 2027, depending on the term .

CCBoy

Reaction score
Eh, maybe the end of Dak's contract. Tyler Smith's extension won't start until probably 2027.

Dak's cap hit is going to be relatively low in 2024 and 2025 and then jump in 2026 and 2027, depending on the term .
I rest my case, as a ton of money is being committed here and now and a lot of cap is being counted on for pieces now getting towards the end of relivent pieces depended on for team overall strength.

We need to be able walk with the team as to player evaluations and cap strengths over time. Tyler Smith is part of a here and now offensive line group with Tyron Smith leaving and we have no idea when Martin will retire his cleats. The team still has to get there, and cap can no longer be the excuse for the 'new wall' breaking up now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree that there is a hump that Dak doesn't seem to be getting over, although as with all QB's, the team is partly responsible even if the focus is on the QB position.

And I agree it is unrealistic to expect any great change in him at this point.

However, teams have won in the past with this kind of situation. Stafford, Foles, Brad Johnson, Dilfer ...

Obviously it would be better to have a QB with a long history of playoff success, and that would improve odds, but not having that has been overcome in the past

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

On CeeDee can't they agree not to take the 5th year option and pay him signing bonus and contract instead of the $17m he's scheduled.
Are you saying Dak would sign for just 4 years? If we are keeping the CAP hit down in '24 and '25, but still have to account for the $60m restructured arrears what are you going to offer him cash wise, to make it viable to sign....as it stands we should be paying him $34m (cash) in 2024, I'm sure France won't let all of that ride.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't disagree that there is a hump that Dak doesn't seem to be getting over, although as with all QB's, the team is partly responsible even if the focus is on the QB position.

And I agree it is unrealistic to expect any great change in him at this point.

However, teams have won in the past with this kind of situation. Stafford, Foles, Brad Johnson, Dilfer ...

Obviously it would be better to have a QB with a long history of playoff success, and that would improve odds, but not having that has been overcome in the past
Agree there's a likelihood, however, in those cases the QB CAP% hit wasnt that great and the QB still needed to step up.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
On CeeDee can't they agree not to take the 5th year option and pay him signing bonus and contract instead of the $17m he's scheduled.
Are you saying Dak would sign for just 4 years? If we are keeping the CAP hit down in '24 and '25, but still have to account for the $60m restructured arrears what are you going to offer him cash wise, to make it viable to sign....as it stands we should be paying him $34m (cash) in 2024, I'm sure France won't let all of that ride.
No. Fifth-year options are fully guaranteed the second they are picked up.

It's not "just" 4 years - that's advantageous to him because he gets to be a UFA again. Maybe it goes 5 but the only real difference is changing the way the cap hit grows. Maybe Dak wants to take long term, but I really doubt it.