Should Dallas start Dak or Dalton now?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I've watched Burrows play and there are zero guarantees that he will be a good qb in this league.

Super kid but this is true......it's next to impossible to gauge how these kids are going to hold up when all the bullets are flying. A good example, who would have thought Baker Mayfield would be struggling?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The decision makers on that team have never considered any QB the #1 but Prescott. Did y'all watch Dalton play the last couple of seasons? Well, NFL execs did and he was only able to score a 3-7M backup QB deal.

I know some are pissed at him for not taking the offer and others because he's not Mahomes but he is a better option than Dalton to run this offense. Dalton was signed as an insurance policy against injury or no show, that is all.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've watched Burrows play and there are zero guarantees that he will be a good qb in this league.
I love the kid and am a Tiger fan and I agree. He had an unbelievable college season last year, one truly for the ages but he also had the #1 ranked OL and Receiving corps along with a round 1 RB taken along with the most players from any school in history. He was part of what might be considered the best ever college football team, he will not have that in CIN. He just went from the SEC to the Mountain West conference.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I know it sounds stupid lol, I will try to explain.
If they start Dak, and he has a good season, lets say to the champ game,and lose.
What do they get out of that? Dak will want even more money and short contract still, will they
then give him say 40 mil a year?
And if they do play dak, they wont be picking high, it will be mid round to low round, so no real chance
at drafting a top of the round qb.
They also will not know what Dalton might have done, or what they have in him or dinucci.

So to me it might be smarter to start Dalton and if he isnt able to play good and win games, try dinucci,
and see how he does. if they do poorly, dallas will have a top of the round draft pick in 21 , which could be
good enough to get a top qb prospect.
if they or 1 of them does good, well you may have found your cheaper qb for near future.

The only way to know is to play them at least 3-4 games each or whole season if you want the high pick.

If they play dak but not sure they want to keep him and willing to pay the huge salary he will want,
all they are doing is helping dak sell himself to other teams and be worth more.
If he is on the bench the whole season his value will stay the same or go down.
So even if they think they may want to keep dak, the best thing is not to play him this season.
They could then put him on the tag where other teams can bid, and see what his value is, which is what
many said they should have done this season.
Then they might get him at a decent price, or they
might find out Dalton or Dinucci can do just as well, but at much cheaper price.

But if they play dak they just elevate his price and value , increase interest from other teams,and they
dont find out anything about dalton or dinucci.

And the only scenario that would be worth it is if they can get to SB and win it, but that is probably
not going to happen.

Dak is going to play it safe to avoid injurys, and he cant be a happy person about not getting contract he
wanted, unless he wanted to play on tag all along, which means he was playing with the jones boys and fans
for the whole off season. But either way I dont see him as motivated as he would need to be to get to
and win a SB , which we all should know is not easy.

And I will say Dalton and Dinucci may not be able to handle the reins, but there is only one way to know for sure, and there is a reward of that top 5 pick they could shoot for if they are not good enough.

The jones boys will want to play dak and try to go all the way, but unless they do it, nothing good comes out of it.
And if they did win the SB , I cant even imagine what dak would be demanding then, possibly more than
mahomes.

I think I would play the other 2 D's lol, let dakster cool on the bench, be humbled a little, and then see
what happens in the draft, and then decide if I want to sign dak or not.
I should have stopped reading after the first six words.

But you're right. There's just no way to know how the different QBs will do. If only there were some way to compare Dak and Dalton so we'd have an idea what to expect out of them this year. It's too bad they're completely blank slates with no history to look at.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
If they start Dak, and he has a good season, lets say to the champ game,and lose.
What do they get out of that? Dak will want even more money and short contract still, will they
And if they do play dak, they wont be picking high, it will be mid round to low round, so no real chance
They also will not know what Dalton might have done, or what they have in him or dinucci.

So to me it might be smarter to start Dalton and if he isnt able to play good and win games, try dinucci,
and see how he does. if they do poorly, dallas will have a top of the round draft pick in 21 , which could be
if they or 1 of them does good, well you may have found your cheaper qb for near future.

The only way to know is to play them at least 3-4 games each or whole season if you want the high pick.

If they play dak but not sure they want to keep him and willing to pay the huge salary he will want,
all they are doing is helping dak sell himself to other teams and be worth more.
So even if they think they may want to keep dak, the best thing is not to play him this season.
They could then put him on the tag where other teams can bid, and see what his value is, which is what
might find out Dalton or Dinucci can do just as well, but at much cheaper price.

But if they play dak they just elevate his price and value , increase interest from other teams,and they

And the only scenario that would be worth it is if they can get to SB and win it, but that is probably
not going to happen.

Dak is going to play it safe to avoid injurys, and he cant be a happy person about not getting contract he
wanted, unless he wanted to play on tag all along, which means he was playing with the jones boys and fans
for the whole off season. But either way I dont see him as motivated as he would need to be to get to

And I will say Dalton and Dinucci may not be able to handle the reins, but there is only one way to know for sure, and there is a reward of that top 5 pick they could shoot for if they are not good enough.

The jones boys will want to play dak and try to go all the way, but unless they do it, nothing good comes out of it.
And if they did win the SB , I cant even imagine what dak would be demanding then, possibly more than
mahomes.

I think I would play the other 2 D's lol, let dakster cool on the bench, be humbled a little, and then see

So essentially given him 31 Mil for nothing....or for past services rendered?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

not going to happen.

mahomes.

They placed their bet on Dak with the Tag.

So all bets are placed and they have alot of other issues now with the pandemic.

The financial outcomes are going to pull back what has been happening up to now.

The pandemic has put a cap on the cap so to speak. Teams have to plan on that going forward.

I said this in another thread..we are in a good position. We have signed all our top players to contracts that can be restructured if more space is needed.

Dak and the future are going to have to wait. Trying to figure out all the scenarios about what and who might be available to QB should Dak not get resigned is way premature. If Dak is not resigned in 2021, Dalton will be an possibility but with other teams also dealing with the cap being reduced QBs could start popping up from unexpected places.

I think Dalton has quietly positioned himself as the #1 option if needed. Then we will see.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Anytime someone starts a post with “I know it sounds stupid“ or “hear me out” you know it’s going to be stupid. The thread title screams stupid! I don’t need to read any further than that. If it takes a lengthy post to try and explain something it can’t be explained. You asked if Dallas should start Dak or Dalton now. That’s a very easy answer!

Last edited:

cowfan

Reaction score
I read some of these threads and I think it must be a April Fool's Day joke. He's going to make $31 million, but lets bench him for Dalton and the third stringer. I can't even post a serious response to it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The decision makers on that team have never considered any QB the #1 but Prescott. Did y'all watch Dalton play the last couple of seasons? Well, NFL execs did and he was only able to score a 3-7M backup QB deal.

I know some are pissed at him for not taking the offer and others because he's not Mahomes but he is a better option than Dalton to run this offense. Dalton was signed as an insurance policy against injury or no show, that is all.
Facts

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Pound for pound we have the worst qb situation in the league

No we don’t.

You’d rather have Wentz and Hurts? Wentz is streaky as hell and Philly fans have called for his head at times. They’ll be cheering for Hurts to come in. The same will happen here too.

basel90

Reaction score
According to Ed Werder, there's a different angle. It was actually Stephen who contacted Dak at the last min. See below......so as you can see, we are not sure if the perception from Dak's interview is telling the whole story. BTW...Jerry and Stephen have been surprisingly quiet.

if Dak truly wanted to be a cowboy ,he would have signed the deal offered . A deal that. Matches Wilson’s contract .. and Wilson is far superior and proven than Dak .
Seems Dak wants to go somewhere else .

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Start Prescott all season long!
Maybe we can go 8-8 again and beat 2 teams with winning records.

P.S. Dak Trolls pray that the Giants and Skins aren't improved.....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

not going to happen.

mahomes.

He is dead to me and, I hope, to all true Cowboy fans!
Team Dalton!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

not going to happen.

mahomes.

Jerry has a disgruntled QB and owes him $31 million to pout.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

No matter how I look at this, this has to be the dumbest comment I've read in a long time. In fact it's so dumb I'm not sure where to start. Lets start with you say the Cowboys should sit the player they are paying the most money to on the entire team who has been the starter for the past 4 seasons. You say start the QB that got fired in favor of a QB that hasn't played a single snap in the NFL and Dalton was signed for a measly 3 mil for just THIS SEASON. Then you say when Dalton fails to then try Dinucci a rookie with zero NFL snaps. Oh ya you said that they have to give each of these QB's a minimum of 3-4 games which means throwing away half the season before you go back to the starter the past 4 seasons that BTY was the #1 rated free agent going into free agency this season. Lets not forget that you also said that starting Prescott and the Cowboys win, what teams want to do, then Prescott will look good and the Cowboys will then be drafting later next season making it harder to draft a new QB even if the Cowboys, not you, want to try to get Prescott signed. Please in the future refrain from trying to play GM. You are terrible at it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you want to tank? Start Dalton. If you actually want to win? Start Dak. You're paying him for 31 million and he's in a contract year. Its rare players are bad in a contract year.
And we arent bad enough to having that tanking matter. With Dalton we may be bad enough for a top 10 pick. Thats not getting us a legit franchise QB in this draft.

For the next few years, if Dak isnt your guy your best alternatives are trying to swing a deal for Stafford or maybeeeee even Carr and letting your corps play out their contracts.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No matter how I look at this, this has to be the dumbest comment I've read in a long time. In fact it's so dumb I'm not sure where to start. Lets start with you say the Cowboys should sit the player they are paying the most money to on the entire team who has been the starter for the past 4 seasons. You say start the QB that got fired in favor of a QB that hasn't played a single snap in the NFL and Dalton was signed for a measly 3 mil for just THIS SEASON. Then you say when Dalton fails to then try Dinucci a rookie with zero NFL snaps. Oh ya you said that they have to give each of these QB's a minimum of 3-4 games which means throwing away half the season before you go back to the starter the past 4 seasons that BTY was the #1 rated free agent going into free agency this season. Lets not forget that you also said that starting Prescott and the Cowboys win, what teams want to do, then Prescott will look good and the Cowboys will then be drafting later next season making it harder to draft a new QB even if the Cowboys, not you, want to try to get Prescott signed. Please in the future refrain from trying to play GM. You are terrible at it.

Awesome post.