Should Dallas start Dak or Dalton now?

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the coach decides who starts. And if the coach did what the OP suggested after paying Dak 31 million, I think Jerry would shoot him in the scrotum.

plasticman

Reaction score
I want the Cowboys to start Dalton in game #1.

I am willing to sacrifice one game in order to demonstrate just how ludicrous it is to suggest that an older, less durable quarterback in an obvious decline can somehow perform better than the guy who has been around these players , leading them, competing side to side with them, growing with them, enduring with them and winning with them.

I want fans to witness the difference between a quarterback that has been a top five performer over the past four seasons in almost every category and then compare him to a guy that was in the bottom 10 in almost every category.

in 1993 it took the two first games of the regular season to determine the immeasurable value of Emmitt Smith. I'm willing to give Jerry Jones a learning curve and predict that if Dalton started game #1 it would take Jerry precisely 1 game to determine the immeasurable value of Dak Prescott. Normally, properly applied statistics is sufficient. However, Dalton's first game would provide a unification of all Cowboy fans with the destruction of the "Anybody can do it" theory.

Brax

Reaction score
Start Prescott all season long!
Maybe we can go 8-8 again and beat 2 teams with winning records.

P.S. Dak Trolls pray that the Giants and Skins aren't improved.....
Pappy how many members promised not to post for a year if Dak wasn't signed and how many need to add your custom signatures.

Brax

Reaction score
You're going to pay someone $31 million to sit on the bench? This is dumb
Actually MM should choose the best QB thru camp ( with no interference from above) and start him if winning is the objective, the $$$ shouldn't matter. The problem is Dak's fragile psyche if that happens, that is why there has been no legitimate competition or back up here. You didn't care about 35-38 million why should you care if 31 million warms the bench? If Dak is the best shot at winning MM should play him if he does great Jerry will pay him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the co
Actually MM should choose the best QB thru camp ( with no interference from above) and start him if winning is the objective, the $$$ shouldn't matter. The problem is Dak's fragile psyche if that happens, that is why there has been no legitimate competition or back up here. You didn't care about 35-38 million why should you care if 31 million warms the bench? If Dak is the best shot at winning MM should play him if he does great Jerry will pay him.
yes the coach should decide, but the jones boys are going to want dak to start, and MM isnt going to go against them this early in his job.
It would have been nice to have 2 PS games so we could at least see dalton, and dinucci play. But that isnt going to happen.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pappy how many members promised not to post for a year if Dak wasn't signed and how many need to add your custom signatures.

When Pappy is sleeping he can still see clearer than the Dak-Trolls.:muttley:
Now they better pucker up as ACT III is upcoming which has Dalton replacing Dak under center who will be once again stinking it up out there!

DandyDon52

Reaction score

I am willing to sacrifice one game in order to demonstrate just how ludicrous it is to suggest that an older, less durable quarterback in an obvious decline can somehow perform better than the guy who has been around these players , leading them, competing side to side with them, growing with them, enduring with them and winning with them.

I want fans to witness the difference between a quarterback that has been a top five performer over the past four seasons in almost every category and then compare him to a guy that was in the bottom 10 in almost every category.

in 1993 it took the two first games of the regular season to determine the immeasurable value of Emmitt Smith. I'm willing to give Jerry Jones a learning curve and predict that if Dalton started game #1 it would take Jerry precisely 1 game to determine the immeasurable value of Dak Prescott. Normally, properly applied statistics is sufficient. However, Dalton's first game would provide a unification of all Cowboy fans with the destruction of the "Anybody can do it" theory.
and what would you do or say if they won with dalton?? What if they won the first 3?

I will be honest, I dont know much on dalton, and neither do you or anyone else here.
I doubt anyone here has seen dalton play every game for the last 4 years, like we have with dak.
you cant go by stats or what he did on another team especially cin.
Tannehill sucked in miami, but was great in Tenn, how do you explain that??
Put any qb on another team and they will be different, maybe worse maybe better, you never know, and dallas would be good place for any decent qb.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Did he also toilet train them??
Jeez man stay off the Dak sauce will you......:muttley:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When Pappy is sleeping he can still see clearer than the Dak-Trolls.:muttley:
Now they better pucker up as ACT III is upcoming which has Dalton replacing Dak under center who will be once again stinking it up out there!
I doubt he will stink it up enough, the only way dalton gets to play is if dak gets hurt or concussed.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt he will stink it up enough, the only way dalton gets to play is if dak gets hurt or concussed.

He can't play DOG teams every week.
The first team he faces with a winning record and a top 10 defense Dak will return in grand style.

Field goal anyone????

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

You're right McCarthy should make the decision but McCarthy wants his job longer than a couple of months. Even in anyone's wildest dreams that McCarthy thinks Dalton should start he's also not an idiot to do something that his boss is totally against. If the first decision he makes is a decision that is going to put him in hot water with his boss and makes his stay very much in doubt, the smart thing to do is not anger your boss. I'm sure Jones will not tell McCarthy who should start but Jones has made his feeling about Prescott known all off season so I'm pretty sure McCarthy knows exactly how Jones feels about Prescott and won't have to be actually told to start Prescott. It's a moot point because thus far at no time has anyone heard that McCarthy has said there is going to be or need to be open competition for the starting QB job.

dckid

Reaction score
Ok I know it sounds stupid lol, I will try to explain.
If they start Dak, and he has a good season, lets say to the champ game,and lose.
What do they get out of that? Dak will want even more money and short contract still, will they
then give him say 40 mil a year?
And if they do play dak, they wont be picking high, it will be mid round to low round, so no real chance
at drafting a top of the round qb.
They also will not know what Dalton might have done, or what they have in him or dinucci.

So to me it might be smarter to start Dalton and if he isnt able to play good and win games, try dinucci,
and see how he does. if they do poorly, dallas will have a top of the round draft pick in 21 , which could be
good enough to get a top qb prospect.
if they or 1 of them does good, well you may have found your cheaper qb for near future.

The only way to know is to play them at least 3-4 games each or whole season if you want the high pick.

If they play dak but not sure they want to keep him and willing to pay the huge salary he will want,
all they are doing is helping dak sell himself to other teams and be worth more.
If he is on the bench the whole season his value will stay the same or go down.
So even if they think they may want to keep dak, the best thing is not to play him this season.
They could then put him on the tag where other teams can bid, and see what his value is, which is what
many said they should have done this season.
Then they might get him at a decent price, or they
might find out Dalton or Dinucci can do just as well, but at much cheaper price.

But if they play dak they just elevate his price and value , increase interest from other teams,and they
dont find out anything about dalton or dinucci.

And the only scenario that would be worth it is if they can get to SB and win it, but that is probably
not going to happen.

Dak is going to play it safe to avoid injurys, and he cant be a happy person about not getting contract he
wanted, unless he wanted to play on tag all along, which means he was playing with the jones boys and fans
for the whole off season. But either way I dont see him as motivated as he would need to be to get to
and win a SB , which we all should know is not easy.

And I will say Dalton and Dinucci may not be able to handle the reins, but there is only one way to know for sure, and there is a reward of that top 5 pick they could shoot for if they are not good enough.

The jones boys will want to play dak and try to go all the way, but unless they do it, nothing good comes out of it.
And if they did win the SB , I cant even imagine what dak would be demanding then, possibly more than
mahomes.

I think I would play the other 2 D's lol, let dakster cool on the bench, be humbled a little, and then see
what happens in the draft, and then decide if I want to sign dak or not.
Sorry I disagree 100%.
The point is to try and compete for a Super Bowl. Something we haven’t done in 25 years.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
and what would you do or say if they won with dalton?? What if they won the first 3?

I will be honest, I dont know much on dalton, and neither do you or anyone else here.
I doubt anyone here has seen dalton play every game for the last 4 years, like we have with dak.
Put any qb on another team and they will be different, maybe worse maybe better, you never know, and dallas would be good place for any decent qb.

The measly 3 mil Jones gave him and he accepted should be all anyone needs to know about whether the Cowboys view Dalton as anything more than an 1 year cheap insurance policy in case Prescott is injured. Those that don't like Prescott are clinging to anything they can to justify Prescott not playing but wishing isn't going to make that happen.

plasticman

Reaction score

I know the results of the games he participated and certain asoects. of his performance. I know he was not there for some games. I know his numbers were much better in previous years.

I know that in the playoffs, his team lost 4 consecutive wildcard games as his combined passer rating was 57.5 with a combined 1 TD and 6 INT.

I kniw that in elimination games he makes Tony Romo look like Roger Staubach and Joe Montana's love child.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I said this before and IMO it is still true. With Dak now playing on the tag he has no room for error this season, there is no committment beyond this year to him so any kind of slow start and there will be more and more pressure to give Dalton a chance. Dak is the starter and I believe no matter what he starts the season but their will be a competition in camp now (a very quiet one) and the coaches are going to take a hard look at both of them. Dak will have to perform this season and he will have to perform when it counts (against some of the better teams we play) if not i can easily at some point seeing MM giving Dalton a shot