Should Dallas trade for WR: Curtis Samuel?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Its not our biggest need. In fact, its one of our biggest strengths. All these guys do is say "if all the good defensive players are gone". When the truth is that there will most likely be one sitting right there.

Taking a WR that high would be monumentally dumb. We essentially took a WR with our first pick last year (Cooper). The only team dumb enough to take WR with their first round pick two years in a row was Detroit and they were laughed at for it.

If all good defensive players are gone, then the first thing you do is try and get a great trade back scenario. ONLY if these two things happen should they take the WR.

I wouldn't trade back from one of the top three receivers. Personally the only defensive players I would take at 17 that are likely to be there are Chaisson and Henderson. Obviously Young, Simmons, Derrick Brown and Okudah will be off the board. I wouldn't take Kinlaw because of the medical.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade back from one of the top three receivers. Personally the only defensive players I would take at 17 that are likely to be there are Chaisson and Henderson. Obviously Young, Simmons, Derrick Brown and Okudah will be off the board. I wouldn't take Kinlaw because of the medical.

If Kinlaw, Brown, Chaisson, Henderson, or one of the top 3 WRs aren’t a Cowboy then this draft is a disappointment.

Unless of course we draft Tua which is the dream.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
NO!!!!!!!!
can we stop on the WR trade talk or go get this or that player..UNTIL AFTER THE DRAFT...!?

FANS have to realize we just dumped 20mil into AC, have gallup, have some depth behind them and the draft ios full of really good WRs and this offense is already taking too much of the cap so 3rd round slot guy will be drafted and this can stop..no more resources at WR, young cheap rookie will be added..

the defense is where most of the high draft is going to..
I give a ya a like, andI still stay probably, and maybe.
im not counting anything out early in this draft.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If stockpiling means possibly adding a dimensional talent at WR, than I have no problem taking that player at 17. I want to surround Dak with multiple options.
But I will say the same for several other that might slip, Kinlaw would be a no brainer,, I just have a hard time believing we are going to be getting that lucky and actually see Ruggs or Kinlaw there.
Denver is in love with Ruggs, and it almost seems that he is penciled in on their board if he last to them at 15.
This board would loose their minds, but Im not upset in the least if one of the OTs gets there.
I want a C with our
We are still drafting defensive players but don’t need to use every single pick on it!
Why not..haha.

Mike Ditka traded his entire draft for a RB.

Suicide is painless..it brings on many changes.

:thumbup:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If Kinlaw, Brown, Chaisson, Henderson, or one of the top 3 WRs aren’t a Cowboy then this draft is a disappointment.

Unless of course we draft Tua which is the dream.

Down with this but if Tua is there at 17, hopefully some QB needy team is blowing up our phone wanting him and we can get some extra picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a 3rd round this year and a future late round pick next year would do it.

You want to trade a 3rd plus and additional pick, when...

• Samuel didn't really play as a traditional Beasley/Cobb type legit slot WR.
  • He was used as a deep option, often from a outside alignment.
  • As a gadget player on end-arounds and those types of plays.
  • He has 51% catch rate in 2019 despite often getting short passes right at the line in an attempt to gain yards after the catch.

• It's the deepest WR draft in a long time.

• If Samuel did have success with the Cowboys he would want a significant contract considering what Cobb and Beasley received.

• That means the best possible scenario is that the Cowboys get good play from him for 1 season.
    • i.e. If he is good he'll be too expensive and if he's bad then it was a bad move.
They could just re-sign Tavon Austin...

bewp7

Reaction score
no thanks.

this team can’t keep investing so many resources into the offense to make it “dak friendly”. franchise qbs elevate everyone around them not the other way around.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Wouldn't a C blow your mind?
Not at all.

Of all the clear needs we have..a quality purposed Center heads the list for me.

A new and sudden need we did not expect.

Beard was a #1 pick.

People who say we can just plug in a backup or convert a G and make him a C..

are just looney to me.

And Looney the player is not the answer. Watched him play in 2018. Twernt the same.

Twernt..like that word.

Spell checker just blew up.

:laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We already have enough players from the Panthers don’t care to add another one. We had three receivers who had better seasons than Samuel last year. This is a strong WR draft would rather take my chances there.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Down with this but if Tua is there at 17, hopefully some QB needy team is blowing up our phone wanting him and we can get some extra picks.
Even with the recent Tua medical, there is just no way Tua gets that far, cant see it happening,, maybe Im way off base, but I bet Tua would never slip out of to 10 and thats allowing for a major slip.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not at all.

Of all the clear needs we have..a quality purposed Center heads the list for me.

A new and sudden need we did not expect.

Beard was a #1 pick.

People who say we can just plug in a backup or convert a G and make him a C..

are just looney to me.

And Looney the player is not the answer. Watched him play in 2018. Twernt the same.

Twernt..like that word.

Spell checker just blew up.

:laugh:
You know I like throwing out the arm bump just to get your attention,, I actually at least have some faith in McGovern and Williams, there is investment made on this OL, we could be in worse shape is all Im saying.
No team in this league looses a player of the caliber of TFred and not feel some repercussions.
We lost a man squatch, but we still retained a Looney.
Just saying as much as it is depressing in loosing a true warrior like TFred,, this team is not left in a blizzard with their trousers half down.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You know I like throwing out the arm bump just to get your attention,, I actually at least have some faith in McGovern and Williams, there is investment made on this OL, we could be in worse shape is all Im saying.
No team in this league looses a player of the caliber of TFred and not feel some repercussions.
We lost a man squatch, but we still retained a Looney.
Just saying as much as it is depressing in loosing a true warrior like TFred,, this team is not left in a blizzard with their trousers half down.
No.

I understand.

I guess I just like the smell of a pancake block in the morning.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I jump at kinlaw.

This team doesn’t need a top wideout, they need defense.