Should Dowdle be the starter?

Toro9

Reaction score
No, but it should be 60/40. I'm done talking about Leupke.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
The blocking was there because, as you said, it was the Giants.

You apparently saw a different game than I did....
I'm sorry, what are you trying to say? Pollard had 15 carries for a measly 55 yards. Dowdle averaged almost twice the ypa at 6.6 for 79yds (Pollard 3.7), and Pollard's was inflated a little because of 1 long(-ish) run of ~12 yards (I think). I'm certainly not making the case for Dowdle to be elevated up the depth chart, but I did, in fact, watch the game, and the Giants defense struggled to get Dowdle to the ground, while Pollard was getting dragged down by one arm from behind by LBs.

Are you trying to say that our run game is adequate? If that's the case, we disagree. Passing attacks have more success against good defenses when they have to concern themselves with the run. We just don't possess that threat.

Or did I miss the point entirely?

reddyuta

Reaction score
He should get more carries,it will also improve Pollards performance since its clear he isnt a bell cow RB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I wish they'd give Luepke a chance to prove what he can do, and he has the size for it. Give the guy a shot at it for Pete's sake. We had the perfect opportunity in the 4th qtr of that Giants game to take a look at a couple rooks or so but they wouldn't do it! :angry:
Something is wrong. Either he has angered the staff or the owner. Or he don’t know the playbook. He has 3 carrys for 14 yards and 1 TD. The TD was a run from the 4 yard line. And we are having problem on the goal line. I dont get it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Philly doesn't win because of their running backs lol. And McCaffrey is good because of his versatility. Nobody cares about Elijah mitchell. Funny post
You don't even get that you don't get it.

conner01

Reaction score
Starting is not the real factor for a Rb. Touches is the key and he needs more touches. But to get those touches we have to keep running effectively. Can’t leave yourself in 3rd and long all day

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm sorry, what are you trying to say? Pollard had 15 carries for a measly 55 yards. Dowdle averaged almost twice the ypa at 6.6 for 79yds (Pollard 3.7), and Pollard's was inflated a little because of 1 long(-ish) run of ~12 yards (I think). I'm certainly not making the case for Dowdle to be elevated up the depth chart, but I did, in fact, watch the game, and the Giants defense struggled to get Dowdle to the ground, while Pollard was getting dragged down by one arm from behind by LBs.

Are you trying to say that our run game is adequate? If that's the case, we disagree. Passing attacks have more success against good defenses when they have to concern themselves with the run. We just don't possess that threat.

Or did I miss the point entirely?
Yes you missed my point, perhaps I wasn't clear.

Pollard struggled in the last game for the same (mostly) reason Zeke struggled last year - he was the lead back, teams key their defense on the lead back (again, mostly). Last year Zeke was that guy, Pollard was more successful last year because he wasn't the lead back.

This year Pollard is the lead back, ergo, Dowdle, since he isn't being keyed on, is more effective. The lead back won't be very successful unless there is adequte blocking. As I posted earlier, just check out Emmitt's ypc stats, after Stepnoski, Gogan (if memory serves, could have been another o-lineman) left, and the blocking just wasn't as good.

The backs that can consistently get great yardage and tds without very good blocking are rare, the Barry Sanders type, for example...

Gotta have better o-line play for the running game to work...

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Pollard struggled in the last game for the same (mostly) reason Zeke struggled last year - he was the lead back, teams key their defense on the lead back (again, mostly). Last year Zeke was that guy, Pollard was more successful last year because he wasn't the lead back.

This year Pollard is the lead back, ergo, Dowdle, since he isn't being keyed on, is more effective. The lead back won't be very successful unless there is adequte blocking. As I posted earlier, just check out Emmitt's ypc stats, after Stepnoski, Gogan (if memory serves, could have been another o-lineman) left, and the blocking just wasn't as good.

The backs that can consistently get great yardage and tds without very good blocking are rare, the Barry Sanders type, for example...

Tony has lost that elite speed.

LovinItAll

Reaction score

The backs that can consistently get great yardage and t without very good blocking are rare, the Barry Sanders type, for example...

I don't think our O-line is weak. Every site that ranks O-lines (that I've looked at) has ours in the Top 10, with at least one having us ranked 2nd behind Philly (not that I'm buying that, but it's where Football Guys has us). Zeke struggled, and I hate to say this because I like Zeke, because he's finished as an RB. I've been watching Pollard since he was at Memphis. He's slower now and is easy to tackle, just as he's always been. Dowdle is JAG I think, but he can prove me wrong anytime he wants. We don't have a back that inflicts punishment on tacklers, and there are plenty in the NFL that do.

I mean, if we struggled to run the ball against the Giants and we make the playoffs, what then? Teams aren't going to be concerned about the run, which hurts the play-action game. I I just think the RB position is a weak link for us. Happy to be proven wrong anytime, though.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think Dowdle is a more natural built RB but he has a history of injuries. Pollard is a great back but not the type of guy you want to see 20 to 25 carries a game. He's like a Kamara. He can do it but he's not gonna last. I would say Dowdle and him should be splitting carries and catches.

Big_D

Reaction score
He should be getting the carries inside the 5 at least.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Tony has lost that elite speed.
4.52 at the combine, that's not elite speed. Did have a 4.37 at Memphis' pro day, but teams are notorious for having their players run better at home, there's all kinds of tricks teams can do to improve their players run faster.

But I do think he's lost a bit, maybe he'll get it back as the season goes on, or next year after he's had more time away from the injury.

In any case I think it's clear he's not a lead back, we'll see if he can hold up this season, physically, he never had a lot of carries in college, this year will tell...

LovinItAll

Reaction score
A bit weak, I just think the o-line is the bigger issue.
At what position? When Smith is healthy, LT is covered. Smith at LG has done a great job and, at just 22, will be with us for many years. Biadasz is only 25 and is handling C duties fine. Martin at RG is obviously not an issue, which leaves Steele at RT. He’s not a bum, but an upgrade would be fine with me.

As I said, we have at least a top 10 o-line. We definitely do not have a top anything at RB. Sure, Dak threw it around the yard for 404 in 3 qtrs against the Giants, but what happens when the 49ers never have to bring a safety down and 6 in the box completely contains the run game? I’ll tell you what happens….we get blown out. Those wide open looks Dak was getting will not be there, though if he continues playing at his current level, we’ll be a tough out for anyone.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am more worried about run blocking than our runners. Pollard is fine. Upping Dowdles carries makes sense too to keep Pollard from 300 carries.