Should Dowdle be the starter?

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Pollard looks slow compared to last year- he is a great weapon, but he needs to be between 10-15 carries.

If you gave Dowdle Pollards touches this year, I doubt you would see any difference in the stats. Pollard has been pretty average all year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes you missed my point, perhaps I wasn't clear.

Pollard struggled in the last game for the same (mostly) reason Zeke struggled last year - he was the lead back, teams key their defense on the lead back (again, mostly). Last year Zeke was that guy, Pollard was more successful last year because he wasn't the lead back.

This year Pollard is the lead back, ergo, Dowdle, since he isn't being keyed on, is more effective. The lead back won't be very successful unless there is adequte blocking. As I posted earlier, just check out Emmitt's ypc stats, after Stepnoski, Gogan (if memory serves, could have been another o-lineman) left, and the blocking just wasn't as good.

The backs that can consistently get great yardage and tds without very good blocking are rare, the Barry Sanders type, for example...

Gotta have better o-line play for the running game to work...

Any time Pollard has had to be the lead back before this year he was successfull.

Our run blocking stinks. Simple as that.

Show me the plays Pollard didn’t get what was there..

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I am more worried about run blocking than our runners. Pollard is fine. Upping Dowdles carries makes sense too to keep Pollard from 300 carries.
Our run blocking is 7th in the league. That's not an issue. Pollard is fine when there's a big bruising back that is on everyone's mind first and he's the second option. We don't have that guy.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Any time Pollard has had to be the lead back before this year he was successfull.

Our run blocking stinks. Simple as that.

Show me the plays Pollard didn’t get what was there..
Pollard was never the "lead back" in 2022, only 3 games did he have more carries than Zeke. Being the "lead back" isn't who gets the most carries in a game, it's who gets the most carries over the course of a season. And that was Zeke.

And as far as "show me the plays", that's for you to prove, I'm not going to go back and watch an entire season of games just to prove you wrong.

I do agree our run blocking needs improving, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it stinks, though. Mediocre is more like it..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
At what position? When Smith is healthy, LT is covered. Smith at LG has done a great job and, at just 22, will be with us for many years. Biadasz is only 25 and is handling C duties fine. Martin at RG is obviously not an issue, which leaves Steele at RT. He’s not a bum, but an upgrade would be fine with me.

As I said, we have at least a top 10 o-line. We definitely do not have a top anything at RB. Sure, Dak threw it around the yard for 404 in 3 qtrs against the Giants, but what happens when the 49ers never have to bring a safety down and 6 in the box completely contains the run game? I’ll tell you what happens….we get blown out. Those wide open looks Dak was getting will not be there, though if he continues playing at his current level, we’ll be a tough out for anyone.
Cowboys are 18th in the league at ypa on rushing, at 4.0 just barely to the level teams look for. Last year Pollard had a ypa of 5.2, this year 3.9, with Smith only playing 4 games. Tyron is never healthy these days, he plays hurt because he has to, there's nobody to replace him adequatetly except Tyler, and if Tyler is at LT who plays LG? No one near Tyron's level, that's for sure.

So if the line is so great, why does Pollard have a ypc 1.3 less than last year? He's not a lead back, that's why. Maybe some of that's due to his injury, but if he's having problems there, why is he playing so much?

No, I don't agree the line is top 10. If you do, that's fine, that's really hard to quantify anyway, I respect your opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pollard was never the "lead back" in 2022, only 3 games did he have more carries than Zeke. Being the "lead back" isn't who gets the most carries in a game, it's who gets the most carries over the course of a season. And that was Zeke.

And as far as "show me the plays", that's for you to prove, I'm not going to go back and watch an entire season of games just to prove you wrong.

I do agree our run blocking needs improving, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it stinks, though. Mediocre is more like it..
Zeke missed games last year with a knee sprain making Pollard the lead back.

Pollard was far and away our best RB in 2022 and it had jack squat to do with Zeke.

bottleKids

Reaction score
No - we need to address not having a North South bruiser in the off season (in my opinion). TP is not it.... I feel we have become 1 dimensional as of late, and currently sit 12th overall in Rushing yards. Not terrible, but I would love to see us become more balanced, and then the pass attack can really thrive against better top tier defenses. A bunch of weeks left to figure it out, but I really wish we had a better compliment to T.P.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Being the lead back for a week or two isn't quite the same as shouldering the load all season.
You'll never get people who are dug in on Pollard's greatness to acknowledge this. He's gone from being the best change of pace back in the league to the 20th+ best lead back. It's just different when you're the guy the other teams studies film on all week. I told people for three years when they were clamoring for Pollard to start that he wasn't going to be the same back if they tried to use him in any way similar to the way they used Zeke. Now we're seeing that play out. To the surprise of almost no one. I think Pollard will be fine when a) they quit trying to make into Zeke-light and b) obviously the line starts blocking better. However there is a big difference between "fine" and "a sure fire all pro" or "just like Christian McCafferey and Alvin Kamara" which is what we were told he would be if given the chance.

Mr_437

Reaction score
They should start "The Committee" I don't care who starts, but give Pollard, Dowdle and Luepke some touches every game. It's kinda stupid they haven't done it already...imho.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They should start "The Committee" I don't care who starts, but give Pollard, Dowdle and Luepke some touches every game. It's kinda stupid they haven't done it already...imho.
All this ignores the elephant in the room that not all players know the playbook equally. I guarantee you Luepke doesn't know the playbook and his assignments as well as Dowdle and Dowdle doesn't know his as well as Pollard. People pay far to little attention to the extent to which trust determines who plays and who don't. If you're missing assignments in practice you aint gittin to play a lot. Dowdle whiffed on a few pass pro reps early in the season which probably got HIS butt clued to the bench until he re-earned the coaches' trust. As has been stated a million times by coaches forever, any back can tote the rock.. but in order to earn the right to tote the rock you need to do other things.

Mr_437

Reaction score
All this ignores the elephant in the room that not all players know the playbook equally. I guarantee you Luepke doesn't know the playbook and his assignments as well as Dowdle and Dowdle doesn't know his as well as Pollard. People pay far to little attention to the extent to which trust determines who plays and who don't. If you're missing assignments in practice you aint gittin to play a lot. Dowdle whiffed on a few pass pro reps early in the season which probably got HIS butt clued to the bench until he re-earned the coaches' trust. As has been stated a million times by coaches forever, any back can tote the rock.. but in order to earn the right to tote the rock you need to do other things.
Valid point. However, the RBs have been getting coached on this offense for 8 months, and have played RB most their life. RB position doesn't have to be cerebral to a degree, but even if your perspective is dead on these guys can do certain things to add to the run game in their wheel house....shame on the OC who can't find a way to use guys talents.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Valid point. However, the RBs have been getting coached on this offense for 8 months, and have played RB most their life. RB position doesn't have to be cerebral to a degree, but even if your perspective is dead on these guys can do certain things to add to the run game in their wheel house....shame on the OC who can't find a way to use guys talents.
Oh I don't disagree that they need to figure out a way to get the most out of the guys they have. They did it last year by using Zeke as the hammer and Pollard as the knife. They need to figure out how to use Pollard, Dowdle and Luepke to get the best they have to offer. If there are plays where they don't know their assignment don't call those plays when they're in. But of course that then places undue stress on the play caller to be remembering who struggles at what and again, that's why they probably do it the way they do. Unless a guy is just a monster coaches don't have that kind of patience.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
So if the line is so great, why does Pollard have a ypc 1.3 less than last year? He's not a lead back, that's why.
This is what I’ve been saying the entire time. It’s not the line, it’s the back. Spelling Zeke and being fresh was one thing last year. Another note is that last year when Pollard wasn’t running wide, he was behind Martin 80% of the time. He just didn’t run left inside the tackle often. I did an analysis of 4 games and posted it last year. Being RB1 is entirely different. Why did Dowdle come in and look like a stud last week (ypa) v. Pollard’s ypa? Because he was fresh and ran hard, not because he’s ‘better’ than Pollard.

I think they’re going to keep Tyler at LG forever, Ctr the same, RG is stable until Martin exits. Yes, Smith will need to be replaced at LT due to availability and we have no depth there, and RT Steele is serviceable and available.

They just need to win and I’ll be happy.

Go Cowboys!!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Zeke missed games last year with a knee sprain making Pollard the lead back.

Pollard was far and away our best RB in 2022 and it had jack squat to do with Zeke.
Nope. Zeke played 15 games, only missed 2. He had 231 carries, Pollard 193.

Defenses keyed on Zeke because he was the lead back.

kskboys

Reaction score
You'll never get people who are dug in on Pollard's greatness to acknowledge this. He's gone from being the best change of pace back in the league to the 20th+ best lead back. It's just different when you're the guy the other teams studies film on all week. I told people for three years when they were clamoring for Pollard to start that he wasn't going to be the same back if they tried to use him in any way similar to the way they used Zeke. Now we're seeing that play out. To the surprise of almost no one. I think Pollard will be fine when a) they quit trying to make into Zeke-light and b) obviously the line starts blocking better. However there is a big difference between "fine" and "a sure fire all pro" or "just like Christian McCafferey and Alvin Kamara" which is what we were told he would be if given the chance.
And it was so silly, as it was obvious those people had never watched McC or Kam.