Should MM continue as his own playcaller or bring in an OC?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He does a good job......my only concern is whether he's compromising the attention needed in other areas as an HC. For example, this team wasn't ready last week, not just the players, coaches also weren't. That's on him.......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He has to.

And..

I think he did a fantastic job if we’re being honest.

Dak played a brand of football that I didn’t think he was capable of and I give McCarthy most of the credit for that.

This gives me hope for Trey Lance as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Until we learn how to play physical defense like all four teams I watched play yesterday, we will get punched in the mouth when it counts repeatedly…..so I don’t care who calls plays.

Tough to gain that certain edge in a country club atmosphere, but carry on Jerry…you’re “close.”

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Until we learn how to play physical defense like all four teams I watched play yesterday, we will get punched in the mouth when it counts repeatedly…..so I don’t care who calls plays.

Tough to gain that certain edge in a country club atmosphere, but carry on Jerry…you’re “close.”
It goes back to Dak.

Those 2 team yesterday aren’t paying a ton of money for a QB.

Dallas has to generate offense for the whole thing to work.

If their highly paid QB can’t produce it just doesn’t work.

Half of you want to pay Dak all this money.. Well expect imperfections on the field until we get a cheap QB again.

That’s just how the NFL works.

If the offense builds any kind of lead the defense is one of the better defenses in football.

Xeven

Reaction score
He just over thee picking plays with no real strategy, seems like that anyway.

Aven8

Reaction score
He was awesome as the play caller. And turned Dak into a real QB. Way better than Moore.

kskboys

Reaction score
He does a good job......my only concern is whether he's compromising the attention needed in other areas as an HC. For example, this team wasn't ready last week, not just the players, coaches also weren't. That's on him.......

Go get Josh McDaniel. Yes, he sucked as a HC, but so did Norv Turner and Dave Wannstadt and many others that were good coordinators/bad head coaches.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Well whatever he did, I think he got the most out of Dak. So I think we should keep him calling the shots on the offense for that final year.

Whether that keeps him from doing other important stuff, I don't know. But I expect my HC to be able to manage that.

Mike needs to focus on discipline this off season. If nothing else, this has to change. It's something a good HC could implement into any squad, no matter how talented it is. So the only thing I'm hoping for this off season is that he'll get his act together and show these clowns how to take less penalties.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well whatever he did, I think he got the most out of Dak. So I think we should keep him calling the shots on the offense for that final year.

Whether that keeps him from doing other important stuff, I don't know. But I expect my HC to be able to manage that.

Mike needs to focus on discipline this off season. If nothing else, this has to change.
He's not allowed to.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It goes back to Dak.

Those 2 team yesterday aren’t paying a ton of money for a QB.

Dallas has to generate offense for the whole thing to work.

If their highly paid QB can’t produce it just doesn’t work.

Half of you want to pay Dak all this money.. Well expect imperfections on the field until we get a cheap QB again.

That’s just how the NFL works.

If the offense builds any kind of lead the defense is one of the better defenses in football.
I fully believe we are now at the point that you (and some others to be fair) said we would be at before too long….have to pay Dak too much to be able to give him what he needs around him.

Elite QBs that can overcome roster deficiencies deserve huge money, but the reality is they now get huge money just because they play QB.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
MM needs to take a page out of his old mentor's, Bill Walsh, book on game planning and play calling. Walsh used to have plays already scripted starting the game knowing who the opponents and defenders were and keying on that to take advantage of them. Montana to Rice/Taylor. Get a quick lead of couple of scores and then force you to pass more than you would have liked. Their defense then would have it easier just playing the pass and pinning their ears back to rush the passer. This defense is that type, you need to make the other team pass happy and they don't have to worry about those daggers up the gut.

But you have to start the game aggressive on offense to do that, something MM does not seem to do with his play calling.
Could be because Dak is no Joe Montana, and does not have that great confidence in him and his arm or decision making.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was awesome as the play caller. And turned Dak into a real QB. Way better than Moore.
But yet, Dak was the same in the playoffs as usual .... though the defense did not help matters ... still Dak should have played better. Thew his usual 2 picks.