Should MM continue as his own playcaller or bring in an OC?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well whatever he did, I think he got the most out of Dak. So I think we should keep him calling the shots on the offense for that final year.

Whether that keeps him from doing other important stuff, I don't know. But I expect my HC to be able to manage that.

Mike needs to focus on discipline this off season. If nothing else, this has to change. It's something a good HC could implement into any squad, no matter how talented it is. So the only thing I'm hoping for this off season is that he'll get his act together and show these clowns how to take less penalties.
How????
I will say I'm a believer that if it's happening in games, there's a good chance they were seeing it in practice.

kskboys

Reaction score
MM needs to take a page out of his old mentor's, Bill Walsh, book on game planning and play calling. Walsh used to have plays already scripted starting the game knowing who the opponents and defenders were and keying on that to take advantage of them. Montana to Rice/Taylor. Get a quick lead of couple of scores and then force you to pass more than you would have liked. Their defense then would have it easier just playing the pass and pinning their ears back to rush the passer. This defense is that type, you need to make the other team pass happy and they don't have to worry about those daggers up the gut.

But you have to start the game aggressive on offense to do that, something MM does not seem to do with his play calling.
Could be because Dak is no Joe Montana, and does not have that great confidence in him and his arm or decision making.
How would you even know? Dak derailed the O early on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

Don't forget that Jerry removed the fines Wade tried to impose.
I think the NFL changed that policy now. At least fines for TC for not reporting. Ateam is not allowed to remove the fines.
However teams may be more reluctant to impose them to begin with.

Aven8

Reaction score
But yet, Dak was the same in the playoffs as usual .... though the defense did not help matters ... still Dak should have played better. Thew his usual 2 picks.
Well if anything Mike relied too much on the Dak and Lamb show. I knew it would fail at some point. The rest of the group needs an upgrade. We need a #2 and a RB big time

Mannix

Reaction score
OMG....really? Keep him to concentrate on all the other things....meaning, the things he already sucks the MOST at??? Concentrating on the offense is the ONLY thing he should be involved in.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The play calling wasn't the issue. The execution of it when it mattered, was. We need players.
I saw a few sketchy playcalls but yeah execution was questionable at times. And that’s coaching. Jumping offsides on 3rd downs. It’s on the O-Line coach. He needs to go. I think Dak should call his own plays or call his own audibles. And using more motion would help Dak so much in reading what defenses are going to do presnap..

plasticman

Reaction score
MM should be able to make all decisions appropriate for a HC of an NFL team without interference from Jerry Jones.

If he fails then fire him but at least give him the opportunity to run things the way he wants. He deserves the authority before he receives an ounce of blame. Otherwise, it's all on Jerry.

kevm3

Reaction score
Yea he needs to bring in an OC so he can focus on being a head coach. Yet again we're doing that weird the HC is the OC thing we did during the Garrett era. The HC needs to make sure the ENTIRE team is prepared. What other organization has no real HC, but the HC is the OC?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the NFL changed that policy now. At least fines for TC for not reporting. Ateam is not allowed to remove the fines.
However teams may be more reluctant to impose them to begin with.
Not NFL fines, team fines. Wade fined Marion Barber, Jerry removed the fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Liking MM for the passing game, hating him for the running game. The OL/RB roster was at least partially to blame but so far MM doesn't look like he has it in him to devise and use a solid running game. It's like this entire franchise from Jerry down to the water boy is 100% reliant upon having an elite QB to carry the team.

75boyz

Reaction score
OMG....really? Keep him to concentrate on all the other things....meaning, the things he already sucks the MOST at??? Concentrating on the offense is the ONLY thing he should be involved in.
I know right? Removing what his entire coaching career is based on? We have evolved into making an offense Dak friendly into adjusting our team so it's coach friendly? Because all the jobs required of a normal coach are now too much for him?
Sorry OP this sounds like some kinda Garrett style coach in training similarities.

smh

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He needs help with both clock management and scheming. He looked over-matched against playoff teams. Seems like it would be easier for someone with a birds eye view to see what’s going on defensively and how to attack it.

Aven8

Reaction score
I still find it hilarious that we think the offense played worse than this defense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Keep in mind, there are a lot of good offensive coordinators after all the firings.......can't believe a few out there can't help.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He does a good job......my only concern is whether he's compromising the attention needed in other areas as an HC. For example, this team wasn't ready last week, not just the players, coaches also weren't. That's on him.......

Not happening, if he is going to down with the ship, he is going to control the offense

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Bill Callahan was our running game coordinator? Maybe adding this title/position would help