Should MM continue as his own playcaller or bring in an OC?

starfan1

Reaction score
I thought he did ok but some of the designs need a lot to be desired not enough separation or depth on some of the routes

Run blocking is garbage that scheme should change

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He does a good job......my only concern is whether he's compromising the attention needed in other areas as an HC. For example, this team wasn't ready last week, not just the players, coaches also weren't. That's on him.......

I will 100% guarantee that MM has little if any interaction with the defense. This is a direct indictment of how Jones structures his team and creates internal compartmentalization between its units through his hiring practices and chain of command.

This $%$& ain't getting fixed with Jones running the show.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I fully believe we are now at the point that you (and some others to be fair) said we would be at before too long….have to pay Dak too much to be able to give him what he needs around him.

Elite QBs that can overcome roster deficiencies deserve huge money, but the reality is they now get huge money just because they play QB.
If Tampa and Green Bay can move away from HOF QBs and go further in the playoffs maybe the Cowboys should take a different approach.

We have more then enough evidence that proves CATCH17’s theory was true.

If you have one of these crazy carry the team on their back QBs then pay them. If you don’t then focus on team building.

A 7th round scrub QB is going to the NFC championship right now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I saw a few sketchy playcalls but yeah execution was questionable at times. And that’s coaching. Jumping offsides on 3rd downs. It’s on the O-Line coach. He needs to go. I think Dak should call his own plays or call his own audibles. And using more motion would help Dak so much in reading what defenses are going to do presnap..
thats an entirely different thing, I agree...MM needs to go. While his play calling wasn't the issue, his team prep and discipline was. Thats on him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I will 100% guarantee that MM has little if any interaction with the defense. This is a direct indictment of how Jones structures his team and creates internal compartmentalization between its units through his hiring practices and chain of command.

This $%$& ain't getting fixed with Jones running the show.
In Jerrys mind, money is king. He has the team the number 1 rated sports team in the entire world. Where then, is his incentive for bettering the team? Until we hit rock bottom, it isn't changing. Hate to say it but we need a season where the bottom completely falls out and it gets so ugly that sweeping change happens. By then the likes of Jim Harbaugh etc won't be available for hire.Thats why change needed to happen right now. Jerry states he has urgency, but his actions beg to differ. He is tepid in every way.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Packers fans I know are telling me all of our MM complaints are exactly what they were seeing back in 2018 when Green Bay fired him. Moments of brilliance mixed with crap calling that seems to come out of nowhere. If you want more outside perspective one Packers fan even told me Dak is a great quarterback and MM doesn't know how to use him.

Take that with a grain of salt but that's what I've heard.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
losing a Bill Callahan killed this team back then. Jerry pissed him off and he is never returning.
Our running game was almost unstoppable with Callahan. I want the kind of offense that imposes their will on the defense again.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Our running game was almost unstoppable with Callahan. I want the kind of offense that imposes their will on the defense again.
agree. Thats Cowboy football 101. Thats the recipe here in Dallas to make a run. We got away from that and while we are good, we are woeful against the power teams.

glimmerman

Reaction score
thats an entirely different thing, I agree...MM needs to go. While his play calling wasn't the issue, his team prep and discipline was. Thats on him.
Most loses we had looked like this team had no prep or plan. They were not ready. We need a coach that teaches discipline. Demands it. Run the same play in practice until you can execute it flawless. I remember hearing Jimmy saying he would do things like that. But now they don’t get as much time to practice as they used to.

glimmerman

Reaction score
agree. Thats Cowboy football 101. Thats the recipe here in Dallas to make a run. We got away from that and while we are good, we are woeful against the power teams.
It was. It seems now they want Dak to throw more now. We got away from it. MM had rogers when he was with packers. He did have Dak playing better. Or that was Dak putting in work in the offseason. He needs to work harder on his presnap and going through his progressions. But I wish JJ could pry Callahan back here. Seems he has burnt some bridges. MM burned one with Colombo also.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This times 1000.
ty...and I think we must draft and bat well over 500 to achieve this. Tolbert MUST PLAY this year. Take the training wheels off and throw him in. I think he can be a Jimmy Smith type wr if he has the chance to shine. That means saying by to Gallup. Brooks is another wr that has to see the field much more. I think we must find a every down rb. I would get Henry in here and draft a LT. Draft a linebacker or 2. I also think we need another stud corner or safety. We were weak back there. As great as Diggs and Bland are, Gilmore is likely gone, getting too slow and we need another viable db in there. We cant cover the good receivers. WE were exposed. But I think part of that begins in the trenches. We gotta get elite and nasty up front. Then I think the back end can ball.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It was. It seems now they want Dak to throw more now. We got away from it. MM had rogers when he was with packers. He did have Dak playing better. Or that was Dak putting in work in the offseason. He needs to work harder on his presnap and going through his progressions. But I wish JJ could pry Callahan back here. Seems he has burnt some bridges. MM burned one with Colombo also.
what folks forget with Rogers and MM the year they won a ring, they had a good running game. It always comes back to the run. They had a stud laden oline too. All AR had to do was execute what was called. Dak has far too much laid at his feet. Its kinda unfair. Give him better supporting "actors" if u will, and I think we have a chance. But it still starts on both lines, both sides of the ball. Upgrades must be made there fast. I also think its time we find out if Trey Lance can be the man.

75boyz

Reaction score
To me, the OP could be re-titled IF McCarthy was ONLY the offensive coordinator...

THEN he wouldn't fail at ALL the other requirements of being a head coach and could concentrate all his time on his specialty.
Playcalling only.

He sucks at several of the other head coach requirements needed to have post season success.

And he was hired to achieve post season success.

He has failed.
He needs to be a playcaller only.

Rayman70

Reaction score
To me, the OP could be re-titled IF McCarthy was ONLY the offensive coordinator...

THEN he wouldn't fail at ALL the other requirements of being a head coach and could concentrate all his time on his specialty.
Playcalling only.

He sucks at several of the other head coach requirements needed to have post season success.

And he was hired to achieve post season success.

He has failed.
He needs to be a playcaller only.
DQ is terrible when things matter. Without fail.

vlad

Reaction score
The repeated concerns from the likes of kurt Warner, Troy Aikman about our play designs not making sense relative to things like timing of progressions and spacing (think like all those slants run at same distance, or read 2 River being too quick or slow relative to read one) are what concerns me with the offense.

I’m not pretending i know anything like these coaches but stuff like that in theory is at least baffling