Twitter: Should Philbin be on hot seat?

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Yes, we couldn't run the ball last year. He had talent. Someone has to take responsibility. I think it starts with Philbin and KM. The tricks that worked in GB won't work in Dallas.
Pollard did OK running the ball. Zeke did not. Blame wasn't entirely on the O-Line.

_sturt_

Reaction score

It is one of the most egregiously pretentious yet also most commonly ignored factoids about sports fans that we... we... are inclined to believe we have some almost omniscient insight into coaches' effectiveness...

When in fact, we only see players excel or stay static or regress.

We tend to ignore all that we don't know that is, in actuality, highly highly highly relevant to any conclusions about a given coach's effectiveness.

We know little if anything at all what they've said to any given player under their guidance in their effort to "coach" him.

We know little if anything at all what they've demonstrated to any given player.

We know little if anything at all about their analysis of what needs to happen in order for a given player to improve.

We know little if anything at all most of the time about their own philosophy concerning the nuances and details of the role for which they are responsible.

We know little if anything at all most of the time about the cognitive, or attitudinal, or physical impediments of any given player that make that player less able to respond well to the coaching received.

We know little if anything at all about the rationale underlying game plans, and for that matter, how/when/why game plans are modified... affecting, in turn, players' performance for better or worse, but not ultimately determining players' performance.

We know little if anything at all most of the time about what other well-regarded coaches really think about a given coach's ability.

Need I go on?

Don't think so. The gist is clear. Almost everything we actually do know about any given coach would not be admissible in a court of law. It is almost all hearsay, and taking for granted that what we see players do is a direct and irrefutable reflection of the coach. (News flash, if it ever is, we have no way of actually gaining the insight necessary to be able to say that it is.)

Judge players?

Well sure. We have direct knowledge of how they perform. It's not perfect knowledge because sometimes context matters... players put in a bad position to make a play by their coach's lack of insight, for instance. But it's at least somewhat informed.

Judge coaches?

Absurd. We have no direct knowledge of how they perform, and what knowledge we do have is gained through the filter of players' execution--a range of executing well to executing poorly.

So, to the OP... how the hell should I know or any of us on the outside whether Philbin or any other coach "should" be on the hot seat??? It's all idle, pointless, ill-informed-at-best speculation.

We do it why? Working theory is that it helps us feel better about ourselves somehow, sitting in judgment of others whose jobs are jobs we dream that someone someday might ask one of us to perform. But for the vast majority of us, we'll never even be asked to be a scout for our high school's team, let alone asked to coach at the highest level of professional football. We like thinking our opinions are substantive, even though we know they're really not. At least, not when it comes to judging coaches.

Commence rotten tomatoes massacre in 3... 2... 1...

DanA

Reaction score
It is one of the most egregiously pretentious yet also most commonly ignored factoids about sports fans that we... we... are inclined to believe we have some almost omniscient insight into coaches' effectiveness...

We tend to ignore all that we don't know that is, in actuality, highly highly highly relevant to any conclusions about a given coach's effectiveness.

We know little if anything at all what they've said to any given player under their guidance in their effort to "coach" him.

We know little if anything at all what they've demonstrated to any given player.

We know little if anything at all about their analysis of what needs to happen in order for a given player to improve.

We know little if anything at all most of the time about their own philosophy concerning the nuances and details of the role for which they are responsible.

We know little if anything at all most of the time about the cognitive, or attitudinal, or physical impediments of any given player that make that player less able to respond well to the coaching received.

We know little if anything at all about the rationale underlying game plans, and for that matter, how/when/why game plans are modified... affecting, in turn, players' performance for better or worse, but not ultimately determining players' performance.

We know little if anything at all most of the time about what other well-regarded coaches really think about a given coach's ability.

Need I go on?

Don't think so. The gist is clear. Almost everything we actually do know about any given coach would not be admissible in a court of law. It is almost all hearsay, and taking for granted that what we see players do is a direct and irrefutable reflection of the coach. (News flash, if it ever is, we have no way of actually gaining the insight necessary to be able to say that it is.)

Judge players?

Well sure. We have direct knowledge of how they perform. It's not perfect knowledge because sometimes context matters... players put in a bad position to make a play by their coach's lack of insight, for instance. But it's at least somewhat informed.

Judge coaches?

Absurd. We have no direct knowledge of how they perform, and what knowledge we do have is gained through the filter of players' execution--a range of executing well to executing poorly.

So, to the OP... how the hell should I know or any of us on the outside whether Philbin or any other coach "should" be on the hot seat??? It's all idle, pointless, ill-informed-at-best speculation.

We do it why? Working theory is that it helps us feel better about ourselves somehow, sitting in judgment of others whose jobs are jobs we dream that someone someday might ask one of us to perform. But for the vast majority of us, we'll never even be asked to be a scout for our high school's team, let alone asked to coach at the highest level of professional football. We like thinking our opinions are substantive, even though we know they're really not. At least, not when it comes to judging coaches.

This misses the point IMO.

The exercise here isn't to convict the offensive line coach, we aren't decision makers. The exercise is to better our understanding (as best a fan can) to enrich the fan experience. This isn't a new idea, it's basically football book club, and if anybody has a heightened sense of importance beyond that then that delusion is on them.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok despite the lack of consistency, false starts aren't tolerated by high school coaches.
It's coaching 101 and and we are a epic fail

Acceptablename

Reaction score
We been on the hot seat, taking a bludgeoning from our peers, for all the embarrassment this team has brought us. I've listened to so much trash talk the last couple decades it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.
I go through phases along with the argument cycles. Realizing it will never stop I zone out then somebody will say something particularly lame and I jump back in.

Reactions: CWR

J_Allen

Reaction score
He had Connor freaking Williams on the line. Let's See what happens when he has a real NFL guard who isn't killing drives and getting blown up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of course Philibin is on the hot seat ,.as he should be … . just as his HC is also on the hot seat.

- Whatever at the top that they brought in thru McCarthy, has been more on the spot light and been in question.
First off with former DC mike Nolan, …then in DL coach Jim Tomsula,… and now it’s gonna come down to his long time buddy Philibn

- While some credit Philibin for improved development of Steele, he also is being criticized for the non development of ex-3rd round pick Conner McGovern, the
other Williams never improved Into a more impact player,

- There remains some questions with the starting center, which we have to ask if he can handle the brute 3-4 NT by himself, or does he constantly have to be helped by OGs
Has he improved the wild shotgun snaps ? Are the Cowboys cool and content with average- decent starting center play ?

- Under Philibin, overall the OL did not perform well, whether vs run or the pass,
too often Dak had to hurry the ball to avoid hits and sacks, and too often our backs were hit in the backfield.

- This OL unit may be more suited and more effective for man power blocking instead of zone blocking. But McCarthy- Philibin wants this to be built off the Packers style of
OL and zone play, block in an area, trapping, pulling.. (holding?) That’s why I’m more for Mike Munchak or heck even a return to Marc Columbo
as OL coaches and power blocking under this OL personnel. .

- But that would also mean an entirely different HC and OL coach overhaul. (Payton ?.... Quinn?)

The counter to that whole post is, didnt we do well when we had a fit O-Line (during the 6-1 start to the season)?

The problems started when Connor didnt have the assistance of an ALL-Pro LT and having to play Collins meant Steele was forced to play in that LT, a position which 2020 indicated he isnt suited to.

If there was any concern it was that we had to rely on Connor and La'el and didnt have a strong enough cover...... both came up short and have been cut.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should have fired this guy after the season after leading the league in penalties. But, we all know that NFL assistant coaching is more of a fraternal order than merit based.

quickccc

Reaction score
The counter to that whole post is, didnt we do well when we had a fit O-Line (during the 6-1 start to the season)?

The problems started when Connor didnt have the assistance of an ALL-Pro LT and having to play Collins meant Steele was forced to play in that LT, a position which 2020 indicated he isnt suited to.

If there was any concern it was that we had to rely on Connor and La'el and didnt have a strong enough cover...... both came up short and have been cut.

Connor wasn't cut ... he was un-signed and allowed to move on in FA. The club of course had no intent to retain him.

- If Connor still needs assistance at this stage of his career and experience, then he needs to be allowed to move on.
A true player doesn't need a crutch. A helping hand. That's why they are selected so highly in the NFL draft and that's what earns them a big, re-signed 2nd contract.

- And a OG tends to gets more help from his center than what he does from his LT.
In short, Williams was just decent- serviceable here in Dallas, and ended up a disappointment.

- And its pointing to the Cowboys having the other Conner, (McGovern) who also was a high pick
. being a disappointment and eventually allowed to move on in FA
We simply have to get this LG starting role right ... and we've failed to do so.

- Up next, yet another college LT converted to NFL left guard.

_sturt_

Reaction score
...Judge coaches?

So, to the OP... how the hell should I know or any of us on the outside whether Philbin or any other coach "should" be on the hot seat??? It's all idle, pointless, ill-informed-at-best speculation,,.

The exercise here isn't to convict the offensive line coach.... and if anybody has a heightened sense of importance beyond that then that delusion is on them.

Yes, we couldn't run the ball last year. He had talent. Someone has to take responsibility. I think it starts with Philbin and KM. The tricks that worked in GB won't work in Dallas.

Hot seat That's an understatement. He should have his butt perched on the exhaust manifold of a Kenworth.

The league doesn't let the cowboys hold like the offensive line in Green Bay does so Philbin's tactics don't work here.

All we've done is watch the O line regress here and get old. And yes Steel got better but he is still closer to Pozderic then he is Larry Allen.

All that said the proof of the pudding will be in the eating our division rival snuck up and got the player we should have gotten in Jordan Davis.

Now he will make us pay for the next 10 years as we watch Biadasz on his back watching the planes fly over and the college holding champion we drafted rack up more penalties

I’ve been pounding the table for a new OL Coach since before SF. Gimme Columbo.

The OL has been a problem the last 2 seasons. Other than Steele not one of them has surprised to the upside. JP should be on the hot seat.

Just like with the FO, there appears to be no accountability as far as the coaching goes. Philbin has failed developing numerous linemen, including CWilliams, McGovern, and yes Biadasz ...who has regressed to the point Dallas has tried to replace him but also have failed. I feel that this position flex is a bunch of crap....draft or get your OT, OG, C and develop them as such. All you do with this flex thing is confuse and delay development. Especially when they are only rookies. The only great linemen are great because of their talent...i.e. Martin, TSmith, Fredbeard, and even Collins....coaching made little difference to them.

I suppose I stand corrected. Thank you for the intervention. I'm a better man for it.

Reactions: CWR

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Need I go on?

Judge players?

Judge coaches?

LOL,, it's a freaking forum for OPINiONS... whether right or wrong, good or bad.....there are no charges being pressed in a court of law or public lynching with burning at the stake being done here. Of course, we have no facts. Only history has provided us the facts to form an opinion. ALL teams should have coaches and staff who are held accountable for duties that are their responsibility. Its ok if you feel he should not be held accountable, but that has been the problem with this FO for the past almost three decades now.

blueblood70

Reaction score

should your account status be on the hot seat, i believe many should wanting to threaten a grown mans job from a keyboard..lol gets old Jerry will decide his fate , Not fans..not sure its his fault how many lineups weve had with injury and suspension plus the depth got thin etc..

but this entire team is on notice ie next season this staff might not be here and some players with bloated contracts or up for 2nd contracts but not producing are gone, they started that this offseason...the window is about to slam shut..jerry less patient then he was with garret..so if one goes they all might go even Quinns not safe IMO couldn't stop the creative motion run games etc and against 9ers not letting him off the shook they scored on 4 straight drives to start the game..

Jarntt

Reaction score
Absolutely he and every coach should be on the hot seat