Should the Cowboys have drafted Dalvin Cook?

Swanny

Reaction score
The Cowboys had pick #28 and #60 for the 1st and 2nd rounds respectively in 2017.

Dalvin Cook was drafted at #41.

I posted back then that if he dropped to #60 that the Cowboys should definitely draft him.

I also said that they should consider him at #28 or with a trade down from #28 or trade up from #60.

Most replies were that it was not a good idea and would be over-kill at the RB position. People also said the RB position is not valuable.

Cook had injury issues his first 2 seasons; however, just based on talent it would have been a good move in retrospect.

A healthy Cook coming into this season would have meant either the Cowboys would let Zeke holdout OR Zeke would not have held out.

Cook's speed/explosiveness looks better than Saquan Barkley to me...

The Cowboys drafted Taco at #28 that year...

Who would or would not have drafted Cook?
No. Don't ever draft a RB high. 3rd Rd or later.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TJ Watt should have been the pick.

No we should not have drafted Cook. We should not draft RBs in the first round.

I didn't specific drafting Cook at #28. They could have traded up from the 2nd round pick.

They could have traded down from #28 a couple of spots if they had all of Taco, Watt and Cook as options. Watt was drafted at #30, but the idea is that if they liked 3 players they could take their chances by trading down and the trade down might make the decision for them.

Beaker42

Reaction score
The Cowboys had pick #28 and #60 for the 1st and 2nd rounds respectively in 2017.

I posted back then that if he dropped to #60 that the Cowboys should definitely draft him.

I also said that they should consider him at #28 or with a trade down from #28 or trade up from #60.

Most replies were that it was not a good idea and would be over-kill at the RB position. People also said the RB position is not valuable.

Cook had injury issues his first 2 seasons; however, just based on talent it would have been a good move in retrospect.

A healthy Cook coming into this season would have meant either the Cowboys would let Zeke holdout OR Zeke would not have held out.

In hindsight, yes - Cook would have been the better choice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. Don't ever draft a RB high. 3rd Rd or later.
That concept has been debated many times.

The general facts tend to point to mid/late round RBs as having success for a year or two but rarely consistently.

Every year some mid/late round type RBs have a good/great season but it's difficult for teams to count on that happening.

Maybe if teams just drafted a RB in the 3rd each year then they would have a high probability that one would have a good season each year but it likely wouldn't be the some one each year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldnt draft any RB's in the first round unless it was the final piece to the puzzle. 2nd round and lower for me.

Keep them around for 4 years and then recycle.

Part of the question was with regards to a trade up from #60 or a trade down from #28 into the early 2nd round.

GenoT

Reaction score

If, and, but...shoulda-coulda-woulda.

That ship has sailed, and is way over the horizon at this point.

superonyx

Reaction score
Hey, Zeke might have had an atrocious game but he is not a trash player. He will get it together.
Don't buy into these guys nonsense.

Zeke is only 43 yards off his pace from last season and has 2 more TD's this year.

Its not Zeke that needs to get it together. Its this offensive line.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
If we are getting into hypotheticals.

If I were in charge.. This would have been your backfield.

Lead

Cop

I like that backfield.. Of course with my draft strategy we would have Carson instead of Dak. So I guess some thing's not going your way is the best. I do like that backfield tho of Chubb and Cohen.

Also I would kept drafting O-linemen high as some of ya'll disagreed. Yeah well that 14-16 O-line could be working wonders. And yeah I know they drafted Connor but jeez man. Projects?

Wouldn't even be having this conversation about Elliott had that have happened sooner.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the benefit of hindsight, sure I would take Cook over Taco. That's a no brainer. At the time, however, I think it was a fair argument that we had needs other than RB.

My question is not specific to the fact that Taco was a bust.

At the time, there were less questions about Cook's talent than several players drafted before him.

Also, my question involved the concept of trading down from #28 or up from #60 to draft Cook.

In the past several years, when the Cowboys are "sold" on a player that they draft, it most often turns out well.

They debated between Taco and a couple of other players (Watt and a DB). That's the opposite of being "sold" on Taco.

They were "sold" on Zack Martin and Tyron Smith when they were drafted. They were "sold" on Frederick as a player with the only question of how long they could wait before he would be gone.

They debated about the Trysten Hill pick meaning they were not universally "sold" on him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If, and, but...shoulda-coulda-woulda.

That ship has sailed, and is way over the horizon at this point.

No, previous decisions or non-decisions provide data points for making future decisions.

cowboyec

Reaction score
wouldn't hate it now.
maybe CB Kevin King shoulda been the pick.
I liked the Taco pick but it just didnt pan out.
a Zeke/Cook combo would be interesting.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Hey guys!

I’m sending a care package of cookies to xwalker.

He’s apparently been dying for some.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My question is not specific to the fact that Taco was a bust.

At the time, there were less questions about Cook's talent than several players drafted before him.

Also, my question involved the concept of trading down from #28 or up from #60 to draft Cook.

In the past several years, when the Cowboys are "sold" on a player that they draft, it most often turns out well.

They debated between Taco and a couple of other players (Watt and a DB). That's the opposite of being "sold" on Taco.

They were "sold" on Zack Martin and Tyron Smith when they were drafted. They were "sold" on Frederick as a player with the only question of how long they could wait before he would be gone.

They debated about the Trysten Hill pick meaning they were not universally "sold" on him.

Your point about trading down makes sense. Whether they should have done it specifically for Cook, I don't necessarily think so given what we knew at the time, which was that we already had an elite RB and had other holes to fill.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

The issue is he would never have seen the field. There is a thought to have a bell cow here and you cant have two RBs on the field at the same time (a la NO, SF). you would have probably seen cook get 30 carries a year and be deemed a bust after 2 years and likely be right where we are now with Zeke.

GenoT

Reaction score
No, previous decisions or non-decisions provide data points for making future decisions.
Assuming future decisions involve similar situations and parameters, I would agree.

Keep in mind that in 1998, every NFL team, other than the Colts, who drafted Peyton Manning #1 overall, woulda gladly taken Ryan Leaf at #2, as the Chargers did.

Whereas, in 2000, every team in the league — including the Pats — passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times.

Don’t know what common data points might be drawn from those two instances, but the discrepancy is off the charts.

blueblood70

Reaction score

NO they shouldnt have , he being injured the first 2 seasons is why.. EE in the meantime was winning rushing titles and leading the league in rushing.. he will be top 5 this season.. lets see how the wheels come off cook when the injuries slow him down and hes 2 years behind zeke..BTW he will be up for new deal as well.. its chasing your tail concepts lading from a bad case of hindsight..

you have to be available to play in order to succeed.. he missed most of two seasons.. so what hes having one great year..lets see how time takes care of him as well..

this is idiomatic way too many zeke threads lets start 60 BAD DEFENSE and all Players ON DEFENSE posts.. what to hard to do so and EE is an easy target..

get over it.. hes here to stay and what hypothetical time machine what if s are plain ignorantly. we dont live in fantasy land..

we have our roster and its who we have to go forward with..

man we should have went back and drafted

Brady
Donald
Mack
AP
Ramsey
ET
Julio Jones

and gave up a draft for Belecheck..

man imagine what wed be with them added to the mix..wow fantasy drooling here...

oh back to relaity..didnt happen cant happen time to move forward...