Should the NFL get rid of divisions?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Or make it interesting, random 4 teams form a division each year,lottery type.can really help parity, Dynasties like Pats in a weak division can be avoided
Currently teams build their rosters to win their divisions. Is it would be an interesting change.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
To be honest… Division like leagues are outdated and for me, its boring as heck playing the same teams 2 times each year. So 6 games with the same teams, boring.

Also, we have teams not getting into playoffs with winning record because of this old style. Rivals will always exists, look at Cowboys vs 49ers…

Maybe league do it because of logistics? I don’t know, but for me at least its pretty boring playing the commanders 2 times each year.

Edit: 6 games, thanks.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
To be honest… Division like leagues are outdated and for me, its boring as heck playing the same teams 2 times each year. So 9 games with the same teams, boring.

Also, we have teams not getting into playoffs with winning record because of this old style. Rivals will always exists, look at Cowboys vs 49ers…

Maybe league do it because of logistics? I don’t know, but for me at least its pretty boring playing the commanders 2 times each year.
9 games? Only 6.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
The NBA are trying different things, I think its worth exploring for playoff reasons.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Might as well.
They have ruined everything else that made the NFL great.
I think the games should all be pay per view. Now that the NFL has embraced gambling it's no longer a family show.
You mean violent hits, horrible injuries, and risk of paralysis are no longer family friendly? Say it ain't so Joe.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm of the opposite persuasion:

Get rid of wildcard teams. Get rid of the wildcard round of the playoffs and make division titles meaningful again.

What's so special about winning a division if 75% of the 2nd place teams in the league also make the playoffs?

When 14 of 32 teams make the playoffs (43.8%) the postseason becomes so diluted that average teams with practically no chance to proceed are showcased.
Agreed. The problem here is that the divisions are too small. The way all leagues structure the playoffs now is to generate revenue, not what is best for the game. The NBA has rendered their regular season meaningless. It doesn't surprise me why players of that league take a lot of days off.

If the NHL removed their wildcards, at least there would be a good reason to win the division. Why have divisions, if winning the division is next to meaningless.

MLB has screwed the pooch too. After a 162 game season, why would you allow an 84 win team to play a 100 win team in the playoffs if it could be avoided? Anyone can win a short series in baseball. You want just the best teams competing.

Flamma

Reaction score
You mean violent hits, horrible injuries, and risk of paralysis are no longer family friendly? Say it ain't so Joe.
I understand that there are people that like the new, safer, softer, NFL, but don't be surprised if a lot of fans don't like it.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Does the NFL actually need divisions or could they just do away with them in favor of two conferences (like the NBA does)? You could do more matchups with the best squads and do away with certain divisions that do not produce enough fierce competition. More matchups of the highest seeds would likely benefit ratings and attendance. Force teams to have a more comprehensive approach to team building. What say you?
I’d de-emphasize them in terms of locking in seeds. If you win your division you can make the playoffs, but seeding should be done via won loss record.

bdk76

Reaction score
I would like to see two 8 team divisions in each conference.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No
They should drop the number of teams raising the talent pool of players and coaches then return to actual practices.

The resulting product will be amazing and competitive.

Londonboy

Reaction score
They should rename the Divisions since geographic exactitude is non-existent in most of them.

Every division should be named after the winningest coach in it's history (We'd be in the Landry Division).

Blitzen

Reaction score
Teams playing each other twice a year, fighting for a division championship creates rivalries you wouldn't otherwise have. I like it the way it is.

At times you get rivalries, but unfortunately you also get one team destroying another team. I read that since 1992 the Bears are 15-50 against Green Bay. There are other examples. I wonder what our record against Washington has been since 2000. Rivalries require more give and take.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They should rename the Divisions since geographic exactitude is non-existent in most of them.

Every division should be named after the winningest coach in it's history (We'd be in the Landry Division).
where in the NFC East, I remember the Cardinals I think were in the east. We should be in another conference, we're nowhere near the east

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does the NFL actually need divisions or could they just do away with them in favor of two conferences (like the NBA does)? You could do more matchups with the best squads and do away with certain divisions that do not produce enough fierce competition. More matchups of the highest seeds would likely benefit ratings and attendance. Force teams to have a more comprehensive approach to team building. What say you?
Divisions are outdated. And that old system unfortunately hurts a 12-5 type good team that gets punished with a #5 seed when a 8-9 division winner gets a #4 seed.

Modern playoff structures in most professional leagues don’t do that. Conference seeding by record makes the most sense. It is fairer and would make playoff matchups much more interesting.

Last edited: