Should the NFL just cancel the Combine for Pro Days?

Jfconrow

Reaction score
The combine is awesome, I take a vacation day or two off for it every year. The EW Shrine and Senior bowl are good as well. The best thing to go to is the Draft, but the others are good on TV.

John813

Reaction score
I prefer the combine. While I don't put huge stock in the 40's, I trust the combine 8 out of 7 days for times over pro-days.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The combine is awesome, I take a vacation day or two off for it every year. The EW Shrine and Senior bowl are good as well. The best thing to go to is the Draft, but the others are good on TV.
I will have it on, but will not pay 100% of attention to it. And they always repeat it for like 2 weeks on NFLN anyway.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For the nfl draft i used to do that until they moved it to thursday!! I work the weekends, and I didn't want to be sitting at work missing picks!!

rags747

Reaction score
NO. What teams should do is read The riot act to the agents/player's. You don’t participate then go play in Canada Or the XFL. Would be quite effective but nobody has the ballz to do it unfortunately.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Should the NFL just cancel the Combine for Pro Days?​

No. The Combine is not for evaluating top players only. It is extremely helpful in determining the rest of the players who will supplement rosters.

That goal is best accomplished having a centralized setup and a relatively few Pro Days for team personnel to do the determining. Otherwise, there would be many more Pro Days (and locations) for people to travel and attend within the brief timespan. Not very efficient at all.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
NO. What teams should do is read The riot act to the agents/player's. You don’t participate then go play in Canada Or the XFL. Would be quite effective but nobody has the ballz to do it unfortunately.
I agree the most with this solution, Caleb Williams should be banned from ever playing in the NFL for not agreeing to throw 13 exhibition passes

1942willys

Reaction score
Problem with pro days as has been mentioned is the different conditions

at the combine you see everyone at the same time and place and can compare each one to others
That is why a lot of agents do not want their clients there because they think they will look better at the pro days
The Divas and those knowing they will not look as good there are the ones that do not go to the combine
frankly I would tell prospects that not going to the combine is a mark against you

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. The Combine is not for evaluating top players only. It is extremely helpful in determining the rest of the players who will supplement rosters.

That goal is best accomplished having a centralized setup and a relatively few Pro Days for team personnel to do the determining. Otherwise, there would be many more Pro Days (and locations) for people to travel and attend within the brief timespan. Not very efficient at all.
Seems like it is that way now or leaning to it at times, these players want to work where they're comfortable for some reason. NFL isn't going to lose out on money at yeah the combine will always be there

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem with pro days as has been mentioned is the different conditions

at the combine you see everyone at the same time and place and can compare each one to others
That is why a lot of agents do not want their clients there because they think they will look better at the pro days
The Divas and those knowing they will not look as good there are the ones that do not go to the combine
frankly I would tell prospects that not going to the combine is a mark against you
Very for points

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking through the news of several top players this year and in previous years opting to not throw/workout etc at the NFL combine, should the NFL consider just having team pro days?
What? How come you did not ask for out thoughts?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
So NFL teams can digitally track every movement of a player: Speed, rest, recovery ,etc...all that data is generally available. That's pretty much what you're getting at the combine...raw talent...some skill.

That said, as I've grown in my NFL fandom, the most important thing to know about the player...is the man himself. The combine affords that opportunity for teams to get to know the majority of players. We still need it...although we may need to change the format.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like it is that way now or leaning to it at times, these players want to work where they're comfortable for some reason. NFL isn't going to lose out on money at yeah the combine will always be there
Players, who either know or think they are talented enough to go high, lean towards pro days. Why? Because the players who know they are talented will see coaches and scouts show up. Players, who are fooling themselves, are generally disappointed or bewildered when few-to-no one shows up.

Pro days will always exist. However, the thread OP poses a question. The answer is the NFL will not be canceling the Combine. It is more likely the league would cancel the Pro Bowl before the Combine. The Combine is needed. The Pro Bowl is for show.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Coaches and GM’s get more from the one on one interview with the players than they get from the work outs. Everyone knows that they prepare physically for the work outs (if they decide). But if a DC, OC or HC wants to interview you or just have a conversation with you that can benifit you much more than a 40 x if it goes well.

A significant part of the combine is if the player can represent the organization both on and off the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
You guys are nuts(Especially Coogly) if you think the combine is worthless. It means you're listening way too much to the spewers on TV who gush about a player because he can jump high. The Combine is a very important tool to help teams make decisions on possible draftees. Just because our own moron of a GM doesn't use it correctly doesn't mean other teams don't.

kskboys

Reaction score
Opting out of the combine is nothing new. It has been going on for a long time.
And some QB's that do go, opt out of the throwing part. And wait until the pro days to throw.
Some players simply don't need the combine as they've already proven beyond any doubt that they are worthy. Other players do.