Should the NFL just cancel the Combine for Pro Days?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So NFL teams can digitally track every movement of a player: Speed, rest, recovery ,etc...all that data is generally available. That's pretty much what you're getting at the combine...raw talent...some skill.

That said, as I've grown in my NFL fandom, the most important thing to know about the player...is the man himself. The combine affords that opportunity for teams to get to know the majority of players. We still need it...although we may need to change the format.
very much so, but can they not do all of that getting to know players at their pro days, I think it would be even more of an intimate experience

kskboys

Reaction score
Probably but I'm sure the nfl makes money off it
A ton.

The only thing that needs to be changed is that players who are invited should be paid. It is invite only, afterall.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Looking through the news of several top players this year and in previous years opting to not throw/workout etc at the NFL combine, should the NFL consider just having team pro days?
Too much money and off season ratings involved.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You guys are nuts(Especially Coogly) if you think the combine is worthless. It means you're listening way too much to the spewers on TV who gush about a player because he can jump high. The Combine is a very important tool to help teams make decisions on possible draftees. Just because our own moron of a GM doesn't use it correctly doesn't mean other teams don't.
no no no no my kind friend it was just a question, every time I look on whatever site, it's saying said player is choosing to work out at their pro day and not the combine that's all. But you know how I am, if you call me my name, i'll believe whatever you want me to believe!! lol ;)

Adreme

Reaction score
Looking through the news of several top players this year and in previous years opting to not throw/workout etc at the NFL combine, should the NFL consider just having team pro days?
Even the team pro days are overrated. However the combine is the most useless thing of all. It is basically a bunch of drills that scouts and coaches place way too much importance on and allows people to overthink things. The fact that players can go from first round picks to 3rd and 4th round picks because they didnt run well as an OLine player or have a good jump is staggering to me. The entire thing is just a massive waste where prospects have to spend 3 months, instead of improving themselves at football, learning how to perform a bunch of tests that are completely useless to them once they reach the next level.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Even the team pro days are overrated. However the combine is the most useless thing of all. It is basically a bunch of drills that scouts and coaches place way too much importance on and allows people to overthink things. The fact that players can go from first round picks to 3rd and 4th round picks because they didnt run well as an OLine player or have a good jump is staggering to me. The entire thing is just a massive waste where prospects have to spend 3 months, instead of improving themselves at football, learning how to perform a bunch of tests that are completely useless to them once they reach the next level.
WHoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I think this same line to myself every off season around this time. Yes there are drills that test for certain things, but in the end, what does it really matter for some players in some of these drills. Then the fact that you can drop your stock because of whatever workout it's not good at all. I like the combine, but I wish there was another tool to gauge these players

Chasing6

Reaction score
WHoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I think this same line to myself every off season around this time. Yes there are drills that test for certain things, but in the end, what does it really matter for some players in some of these drills. Then the fact that you can drop your stock because of whatever workout it's not good at all. I like the combine, but I wish there was another tool to gauge these players
Game film and interviewing college coaches are more important to me than combine results.

Game speed and time speed are not the same. Instincts can't be measured on a clock.

I also like when they ask players, who was the hardest to block, cover, etc.

Being a team captain is also a huge indicator of character, work ethic, etc.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Should the NFL just cancel the Combine for Pro Days?​

tenor.gif

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You sound like Mazi Smith to me. How about a little less crying and a little more tackling.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Pro days are designed to make the player look as great as possible.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They could but would have to discount things like 40 times, etc.
Pro day times are almost always very favorable to the home player

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
very much so, but can they not do all of that getting to know players at their pro days, I think it would be even more of an intimate experience
Agreed...top players will always get time. The other guys need the combine though...

Twin928

Reaction score
Noooo way becuz u still have the un drafted players or players that is hungry and can show a scout at the combine more potential than they were graded coming out of college over a weekend

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agreed...top players will always get time. The other guys need the combine though...
I think the combine is more for the later rounds. Some of the top players don't even do certain events and still get drafted in the first round.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I would simply uninvite any player who refuses to work out. Or make a full work out part of the conditions of attendance. I would much rather have a guy in-house who WANTS to show what he can do than a guy who is making a business decision.