Should we draft a RB in the first round next year

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I want an insurance policy if Julius Jones doesn't work out. RB is the second most important position on offense and a vital aspect to any teams' success. Steve Young said it best last Sunday when he said that it's bad when we were unstable at both the QB and RB position. Young said that most noncontending teams are deficient in one or the other but that it's bad we are not stable in either position. I feel good about Drew Henson being on board but I'm not so sure about Julius Jones.

Julius Jones has done nothing to convince me that he isn't capable of leading this team. However, I just have a bad feeling about the guy. Upon reading his scouting reports, several criticized his work ethic and consistency in college. Now, I'm aware that many other scouting reports stated that he overcame his initial problems with his work ethic. Still, at the NFL leve, work ethic and health are even more important factors than they were in college. So, I'm not aboslutely confident that we can rely on him next year.

Do you think we should draft a Cadillac Williams next year or another RB? What's your take?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't know about you guys but I want an insurance policy if Julius Jones doesn't work out. RB is the second most important position on offense and a vital aspect to any teams' success. Steve Young said it best last Sunday when he said that it's bad when we were unstable at both the QB and RB position. Young said that most noncontending teams are deficient in one or the other but that it's bad we are not stable in either position. I feel good about Drew Henson being on board but I'm not so sure about Julius Jones.

Julius Jones has done nothing to convince me that he isn't capable of leading this team. However, I just have a bad feeling about the guy. Upon reading his scouting reports, several criticized his work ethic and consistency in college. Now, I'm aware that many other scouting reports stated that he overcame his initial problems with his work ethic. Still, at the NFL leve, work ethic and health are even more important factors than they were in college. So, I'm not aboslutely confident that we can rely on him next year.

Do you think we should draft a Cadillac Williams next year or another RB? What's your take?

Personally I like Benson with Texas but having said that I do have mixed emotions about getting a RB with a top pick in next years draft. Hopefully Jones can get back out there to give us a better ideal of what we may have at RB so that Dallas can focus on other needs.

RxMan

Reaction score
The big problem I have with using draft picks on 'insurance' is that you miss drafting an impact player at another position. Best case scenario for the Cowboys right now is that JJ shows something by the end of this season. We may not get to see Henson though. If both can become above average players then next years first round draft pciks can be used to get an impact offensive player at WR and an impact player on the defensive side as well.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
RxMan said:
The big problem I have with using draft picks on 'insurance' is that you miss drafting an impact player at another position. Best case scenario for the Cowboys right now is that JJ shows something by the end of this season. We may not get to see Henson though. If both can become above average players then next years first round draft pciks can be used to get an impact offensive player at WR and an impact player on the defensive side as well.

Normally, I would agree that you shouldn't waste picks on insurance but we are talking about running back here. It's such a vital position that if Jones gets hurt again or fails to live up to billing then we have stunted our growth yet again. We will have to endure another year with out a running game. That's a huge risk in my opinion. Plus, it can't hurt to have some depth at the position because injuries (particularly with our luck) always occur.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Only if his name is Adrian Peterson.

As much as I dislike OU I will say Peterson is a fun guy to watch but he is only a freshman so we are looking at, at least 2 more seasons of Peterson at OU. Which has to thrill the OU fans

DipChit

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Julius Jones has done nothing to convince me that he isn't capable of leading this team.

Based on that comment alone I think we all have to see him on the field first later in the year before we can make any judgements. Obviously if he's banged up every 2nd or 3rd game or seems like he's in any way doggin it you might consider a diff player. But if he stays healthy and looks to have a lil sumthin sumthin you go in another direction with your pick(s).

Finding RB's that can get the job done doesnt have to be like looking for a franchise QB although going by our braintrust before Bill ever got here you might think so. Not that we ever had a backup to Emmitt that others really wanted to get their hands on. Whether it was the "pickle guy", Derrick Lassic, the "paint guy" Sherman Williams or whoever. Nevermind having nothin better waiting in the wings than T-Ham when push finally came to shove after a dozen years.

Course you coulda said that about any number of other positions too, QB etc.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
uh, NO!

Besides, unlike the NBA, the guys have to have 3 years of college. So Peterson a no go.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

See here we go again everyone giving up on a guy because he has gotten injured his 1st year his rookie year. Why we can get a solid FA ppick up if need be or draft a guy in the 4-5th round area to try and fill the gap.

If we went by this arrgument we should have drafted a new center last year because Al was injured and out his whole rookie year.

The ravebs should have dumped Jamal Lewis and drafted another 1st round rb because he was injured the 1st 3rd of his rookie year and then was lost for the full season his 2nd year.

Funny the Chiefs wasted a 1st round pick on a rb when they where not sure about Holmes injury they would have been better off signing a fa t fill the gap.

Yet all preseason JJ showed the most of all the Dallas RB's and played well he was injured it suxs but giving up on him and going after another high draft pick is stupid.

Funny how screwed the Chargers are with Brees now (Brees will be a FA this summer)

Roughneck

Reaction score
If we have to draft RBs with our first pick on consecutive years, what does that say about our scouting department/draft day decisions?

I'll wait to see what JJ can do and, in the mean time, take a WR & DT with our first round picks this April.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
See here we go again everyone giving up on a guy because he has gotten injured his 1st year his rookie year. Why we can get a solid FA ppick up if need be or draft a guy in the 4-5th round area to try and fill the gap.

If we went by this arrgument we should have drafted a new center last year because Al was injured and out his whole rookie year.

The ravebs should have dumped Jamal Lewis and drafted another 1st round rb because he was injured the 1st 3rd of his rookie year and then was lost for the full season his 2nd year.

Funny the Chiefs wasted a 1st round pick on a rb when they where not sure about Holmes injury they would have been better off signing a fa t fill the gap.

Yet all preseason JJ showed the most of all the Dallas RB's and played well he was injured it suxs but giving up on him and going after another high draft pick is stupid.

Funny how screwed the Chargers are with Brees now (Brees will be a FA this summer)

We are talking about a RB and not a center. I can risk starting a center who was injured his previous year but RB is such a vital position that I'm not so sure that we shouldn't at the very least consider a RB as a prospect. And Priest Holmes comeback was nothing short of miraculous. Many physicians were not sure if he would ever play again because of his hip surgery. Bo Jackson was permanently sidelined because of a similar injury. And were you really that confident in Drew Brees? I didn't see too many people defend Brees at the end of last season.

Anyway, your point is well taken and you could argue that it's stupid to give up on a player who has not even played yet or seen how he fares once he plays.

It's just that with our Cowboy bad luck, I would hate to rely on someone who plays such a valuable position.

Also, don't you think it's pretty unrealistic to expect a 4-5th rounder to be a great RB. I mean were aren't Denver. Terrell Davis is a rarity. And look around in the NFL, the overwhelming majority of the best RB's in the league were first round RB's.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't know about you guys but I want an insurance policy if Julius Jones doesn't work out.

Shouldn't he at least play couple of games before you decide he is not that good or that he hasn't shown anything yet? Even in Pre-season, you think he got more snaps than Drew?

Come on, lets wait till he plays a game or two before trying to label him a possible bust.

Second, I think there might be good RBs in 2nd round or so. Personally I like Ronnie Brown more than Cadillac for the round he might be had. I.e. Cadillac has to be top 10 or so pick most likely. But Brown probably is more versatile from what I have seen and can be had in 2nd round or lower most likely.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Shouldn't he at least play couple of games before you decide he is not that good or that he hasn't shown anything yet? Even in Pre-season, you think he got more snaps than Drew?

Come on, lets wait till he plays a game or two before trying to label him a possible bust.

Second, I think there might be good RBs in 2nd round or so. Personally I like Ronnie Brown more than Cadillac for the round he might be had. I.e. Cadillac has to be top 10 or so pick most likely. But Brown probably is more versatile from what I have seen and can be had in 2nd round or lower most likely.

I can't argue with this logic. You are right. I just have a bad feeling and we haven't had the best of luck lately. Put it this way, if you get a true playmaker at RB next year like a Cadillac Williams ( if you think he is one), would you draft him if you were not impressed with Julius Jones?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr.jameswoods said:

Absolutely not.

Get a vet with a little more tread on the tires than what Eddie George does or use the 4th rounder on a RB.

But not a 1st.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Broken Ribs

Broken chicken wing

He needs to drink milk. We need to draft DT/CB/LB day 1 - maybe WR

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I can't argue with this logic. You are right. I just have a bad feeling and we haven't had the best of luck lately. Put it this way, if you get a true playmaker at RB next year like a Cadillac Williams ( if you think he is one), would you draft him if you were not impressed with Julius Jones?

Right team, wrong back..

Ronnie Brown...

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Absolutely not.

Get a vet with a little more tread on the tires than what Eddie George does or use the 4th rounder on a RB.

But not a 1st.

The only issue I have is wth the idea of getting a great RB in the 4th round. That is just a fantasy that Cowboys fans continue to have. It's not going to happen. Sure, like with anything there are exceptions but when you look around the league, the best RB's have been drafted in the first round and that's not a coincidence. If we are not going to draft a RB in the first round next year, then it is going to be difficult to draft a great RB. I think we learned after the Quincy Carter debacle that you can't depend upon on finding great QB's in late rounds although it happens on rare occassion (Tom Brady). When are we going to accept that if a quality RB is to be found, chances are he will need to be drafted in the first round. Look at our own history of great backs, Dorsett, Walker and Smith were all first round quality backs.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with you or others that say we should focus on other positions in the first round. That makes more sense from a technical standpoint because of the presence of Julius Jones. But then if we go with that route , we shouldn't expect to find a great back in a later round. Please my friend, don't tell me we can draft a great RB in later rounds. My hopes have been smashed too many times with that notion.

jdnalls

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

No. There's no reason to draft another Rb next year.

Let's face it... we had a chance at a damn good Rb and passed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
As much as I dislike OU I will say Peterson is a fun guy to watch but he is only a freshman so we are looking at, at least 2 more seasons of Peterson at OU. Which has to thrill the OU fans
Which means that no I would not look to draft a RB on day 1 or in the 1st round next year.

If the world turns upside down and he is allowed in the draft for some strange reason we can't fathom right now. Draft him.

Anyone else...nope.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Broken Ribs

Broken chicken wing

He needs to drink milk. We need to draft DT/CB/LB day 1 - maybe WR

Geez Nors... we somewhat agree.